Discussion Thread for: The Making of a New AT Collab Deck

tarotbear

Folks, the poll is trending strongly and I know everyone is ready to get to work, so here you go:

DIGITAL ARTISTS:
Your art should be 750 pixels wide by 1225 pixels tall at 300dpi.
(If you want to work larger than life size, you can do 1000x1633 at 400dpi)

You don't have to worry about "safe area" or "bleeds"--because we're doing borders in post-production, you can just design to the exact space listed above.

Ladies and gentlemen... start your engines!

EXCELLENT! :thumbsup: I'll start to rough something out tomorrow! 750 x 1225 pixels! :party:

Gulliver

Short summary: If we start the Creating Thread showing the progress of the work, then in the first post has to be:

• deadline
• technical details (annabel398)
• result of the poll

-> Something to add?

Important too: We are approximately 27 persons who signed up in the Card Thread until now. I would say, after starting to show the progress, some more ATers will sign up. But I estimate the whole group will not have more than 35 artists. A lot of creators wrote that they would be willing to create more than one card.

Question: Is that enough for a 78 card deck? Or is it a risk and we would better go with creating a majors only....twice (two decks majors only). Meanings?

Personal notice: I think maybe sometimes I sound a bit short. That's no offence, either for the artists nor for the team. I try to bring all together and to saving power for having enough energy until the project has ended. (I've to work a lot in the "real life"). Other members told me too, they were overwhelmed by the resonance, which is a very wonderful feeling - but every single person of us has to respect their own borders so that we will survive the project. :D -> So please note, should we forget to answer someone: that's not a sign of offence nor disrespect!!!

Have a nice day (at evening I'll be here again)!

Flames

Short summary: If we start the Creating Thread showing the progress of the work, then in the first post has to be:

• deadline
• technical details (annabel398)
• result of the poll

-> Something to add?

Important too: We are approximately 27 persons who signed up in the Card Thread until now. I would say, after starting to show the progress, some more ATers will sign up. But I estimate the whole group will not have more than 35 artists. A lot of creators wrote that they would be willing to create more than one card.

Question: Is that enough for a 78 card deck? Or is it a risk and we would better go with creating a majors only....twice (two decks majors only). Meanings?

Personal notice: I think maybe sometimes I sound a bit short. That's no offence, either for the artists nor for the team. I try to bring all together and to saving power for having enough energy until the project has ended. (I've to work a lot in the "real life"). Other members told me too, they were overwhelmed by the resonance, which is a very wonderful feeling - but every single person of us has to respect their own borders so that we will survive the project. :D -> So please note, should we forget to answer someone: that's not a sign of offence nor disrespect!!!

Have a nice day (at evening I'll be here again)!

Hi Gulliver, :)
If we've got 35 artists and some of us decide to do a couple of cards or more, I think we should stick to creating a 78 card tarot deck! As a member of this team, I am committed. It's been a pleasure working with you thus far. :) I know how hectic life can get. I'll create 4 if I have to or 5...because I want to make this happen! :) And I know that others are excited, too.

Who knows, maybe a month down the line, we'll get a few people who are interested and want to join, in which case, they follow the guidelines we've established, and have them choose from the remaining cards. So, if it means we extend the deadline until past March, then I think people would be okay with that, considering the number of artists on board at this point. Let's go all the way with this. We'll all do the best we can. There's a saying I'll never forget. "If you go on a spree, then go the whole hog, including the postage." :D I think that applies here. :) Just some thoughts.

Marirowana

How would you make sure it was only AT members buying the deck? Aren't there thousands, even tens of thousands of members?

Or do you mean only contributors to the deck would get one?

This is something we still need to consider, and it is also a topic we should discuss with Solandia maybe. It will be an AT deck so it would be nice if it was available for every AT member. We should decide on it soon though, before people are starting with their artwork because it also have to domwith permission, or copyright.

Now, I did the poll - here is the link: http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=224561

Have fun! :heart:
Great Gulliver!!

We're going to go down a deep rabbit hole with this discussion.

TGC is a POD printer, but a deck still has to have an 'account' and 'someone' that account belongs to. BTW - TGC does not pay a royalty in cash - it can be sent to someone's PayPal account once it reaches a certain level (means taxes have to be paid on the profit), or the owner of the account can 'take it out' in points they redeem for free decks. It is not like a deck can be on TGC and no one gets anything nor is responsible for it.

Yes - if it costs $18 to produce the deck the selling price could be set at $19 POD sale but most of the profit (70%) still goes to the owner of the account. (TGC gets 30%)

This is why (with permission from Solandia) if someone goes through Makeplayingcards or Printers Studio and a finite number of decks are produced at a time, sent to a central person, and shipped out all over the world that the 'profitability' factor will drop. However - you would need people willing to do this - and someone to run it.

Just my two cents; your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the info... Organizing a print isn't going to be easy...

Marirowana

<bashfully>

Hello.

I would like to be a part of this.
Yay, welcome nisaba!

@annabel398 THANK you!! Perfect! :thumbsup:

@Gulliver
-ln the first post: deadline,, the technical details, the one-card policy, copyright statement, what you should write for the LWB, the dropboxlink annabel made... (post #103)
And Gulliver, you're doing great, no worries about being short :heart:

blue_fusion

This is something we still need to consider, and it is also a topic we should discuss with Solandia maybe. It will be an AT deck so it would be nice if it was available for every AT member. We should decide on it soon though, before people are starting with their artwork because it also have to domwith permission, or copyright.

Yes, I think it's important that this be made clear early on. Some people aren't really comfortable having their works made available to other people (except to those who participated). A great idea for someone might not be so great for someone else, because we all think differently. It's important to respect the creator's intentions on how s/he wants his/her work to be used.

Some folks here (myself included) have been participating in a number of collaborative deck projects here and elsewhere. The original Aeclectic collaborative decks (and there were several of them) were made available to the public, but in a downloadable digital format. The TCF ones were printed, but were only made available to the participants (as well as to some others who were directly or tangentially relevant to the project).

Cenozoic

Basically we need a category for pre-production, during production, and post-production. That would simplify a lot of things I believe.

And it would be great to also to tell the aeclectic members what copyrights they still own, and what they're letting copied, and by participating they thereby agree to uphold those things automatically, so there won't be issues afterwards regarding this.

We will also need an area for members to drop their artworks into once they're finished, and to specify what file extension it will be (I will personally say PNG is one of my personal favourites, for its' high quality and low file size).

In the area for pre-production, it should specify everything we need to do on the first page, so we don't have to rummage through the forum to find it! And also it should mention the copyrights and sensitive things of that nature.

Then during production, we can have regular updates of the process work, and maybe we can give each other critiques and insights to help each other along the way. We should also have an area so people with finished work could submit it there. We can keep track of it with a list that has the title, username, and the image (finished or in progress). And also keep track of deadlines like what previous members have suggested!

Then for post-production, we can discuss on where to print and ship it, and estimate how much it'll cost overall. And we can also have some really knowledgeable members who knows of printing lingo (I just started working in printing so I know some of it already), to give some advice on it, and maybe they'll be able to cut down costs somehow.

But this is just a suggestion to make things easier. Hope it helps :)

daphne

Basically we need a category for pre-production, during production, and post-production. That would simplify a lot of things I believe.

And it would be great to also to tell the aeclectic members what copyrights they still own, and what they're letting copied, and by participating they thereby agree to uphold those things automatically, so there won't be issues afterwards regarding this.

We will also need an area for members to drop their artworks into once they're finished, and to specify what file extension it will be (I will personally say PNG is one of my personal favourites, for its' high quality and low file size).

In the area for pre-production, it should specify everything we need to do on the first page, so we don't have to rummage through the forum to find it! And also it should mention the copyrights and sensitive things of that nature.

Then during production, we can have regular updates of the process work, and maybe we can give each other critiques and insights to help each other along the way. We should also have an area so people with finished work could submit it there. We can keep track of it with a list that has the title, username, and the image (finished or in progress). And also keep track of deadlines like what previous members have suggested!

Then for post-production, we can discuss on where to print and ship it, and estimate how much it'll cost overall. And we can also have some really knowledgeable members who knows of printing lingo (I just started working in printing so I know some of it already), to give some advice on it, and maybe they'll be able to cut down costs somehow.

But this is just a suggestion to make things easier. Hope it helps :)

I like the idea to split the creation in 3 threads, pre- during- and post-production discussion, it will make easier to find info.

The during-production is already covered in a way. Annabel made a dropbox account for the cards. I copy her comment below, as it is important and now is burried under all other comments here. Maybe it should be placed as the beginning post of the during-production thread:

"Because of the limitations on posting images here, I have started a Dropbox account. Join Dropbox with this link:
https://db.tt/t9htGaLa
And we will each get an extra 500MB. I envision making the images read-only for everyone, plus contributing artists will have edit privileges. That way everyone can follow along on the deck's progress.

Note: there are definitely other solutions, and we don't have to use this one--but I like Dropbox because it is very easy to use and it's free.

=============
DROPBOX PRIMER
-----------------------
Dropbox is an online file storage and sharing program. You sign up https://db.tt/t9htGaLa and take their little Getting Started tour. And voilá, you have 2GB of free cloud storage.

You can upload files by dragging and dropping, or by clicking on the icon that looks like a piece of paper with a plus sign (top right area of the screen).

To organize your files, you can create folders. The icon is a folder with a plus sign. Drag and drop files into folders.

If someone (like me!) shares a folder, you will see that folder in your Dropbox as though you had created it yourself. If you drag a file into a shared folder, both you and the other person will be able to see it.

Dropbox can be used directly from any modern browser, and they also have an app you can download, if you prefer that. I downloaded the app (because doing so increased my storage allocation) but I usually just use it from my browser.

There's more, but I think this covers the basics."

daphne

I see there is a need for the 6-th member of the team.
I offer myself.

Marirowana

I see there is a need for the 6-th member of the team.
I offer myself.

Great daphne, thanks! I'll PM you :)

I'm trying to figure out what we can say about copyright, do you have any suggestions, Conozoic? I want to write something like 'By submitting your art, you agree with...' And thanks for you other comments, we'll take it in consideration :) good points.

ETA: Everyone who has already statet their preferences according the size, borders etc., please ALSO go to the poll and vote there, so we can keep overview :) >>POLL<<