10 of Swords explained by 6 of Wands

MandMaud

Using the WhyWhyWhyWhy Spread (http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=251136), which admittedly is still very rough-hewn, I was trying to understand the 10 of Swords that came up in an earlier reading as (a part of) the stage before success in an ongoing project of mine.

The idea of the spread is that each successive card illuminates the previous one. It begins with the card in question and ends with the solution. This was with the Wild Unknown Tarot (no reversals).

Why this?
By "Why?" I mean...
- why must I experience this?
- did I cause it?
- or what/who is its cause?
- has it a purpose?
- what does it bring that I need?
- what do I need to learn from it?
- what's it all about? :eek:
Card 1 (this): Ten of Swords
Card 6 (the answer): Six of Wands

10s6w_zpsvhypw1hn.jpg.html

The 10S in this deck is a pretty harsh image, all the swords into and through a dying bull. An ending, of the painful kind - despair. Loss of vision (the ability to see the bright side, to see a way forward, so see anything beyond self and the dark place I'm in). :(

The 6W shows a blue butterfly rising above a tangle of branches, and speaks to me of triumph after strife and struggle. Emerging into a phase of gentle, sunshiny living. Transformed after (perhaps by) hard times. And the wands aren't only the fight, but for me also the great ideas that I followed which got me into the fray in the first place. In this deck you don't get so much of the public celebration, no cheering crowds, though the appearance of the butterfly is certainly visible to the world - and celebrated by the world; there's no sense of being surrounded and supported by like-minded people.

I'm not having much luck thinking how the 6W could be the Why of the 10S, except that maybe the pain and despair is a necessary step between where I am now and reaching that point of "stepping out" and being able to relax for a bit. But I did this reason to find out why it's a necessary step, if it is! :rolleyes: Or maybe "What's this 10S about?" gives "It's about rising above the struggle." But I still don't see how that makes sense, the sentence doesn't mean anything to me. Help, please. :)

rwcarter

If I'm understanding your spread correctly, the 6W is understood from card 5, which is understood from card 4, which is understood from card 3, which is understood from card 2 which starts the process of understanding card 1. To say that Card 1 is explained by Card 6 is to shortcut the whole process.

Rodney

MandMaud

If I'm understanding your spread correctly, the 6W is understood from card 5, which is understood from card 4, which is understood from card 3, which is understood from card 2 which starts the process of understanding card 1. To say that Card 1 is explained by Card 6 is to shortcut the whole process.

Rodney

Yes, but they're cumulative - that's the intention anyway. Each card explains the previous one, but they also work together as a path... and the final position:
this will be the solution to the problem or question; the meaning of the subject.
So it sums up the overall Why of the card that's being clarified.

Maybe it's the spread that's unclear rather than the reading of it. :rolleyes:

I am pretty stuck on the whole reading to be honest, but this 6W feels like the nub of the problem I'm having with it. If I can get some sense out of this card, the rest will fall into place. It's like I can already do the "each explains the previous" but not string them together to make the whole answer coherent.

rwcarter

Yes, but they're cumulative - that's the intention anyway. Each card explains the previous one, but they also work together as a path... and the final position:

So it sums up the overall Why of the card that's being clarified.

Maybe it's the spread that's unclear rather than the reading of it. :rolleyes:

I am pretty stuck on the whole reading to be honest, but this 6W feels like the nub of the problem I'm having with it. If I can get some sense out of this card, the rest will fall into place. It's like I can already do the "each explains the previous" but not string them together to make the whole answer coherent.
Well, you know the path between cards 1 and 6 and you're having problems. I'd suggest posting the whole thing in YR. Without the context of the other cards, the only suggestion I can make for 6W would be hubris. In the RWS that could be putting yourself up on a pedestal above others. In the WU, that could be "look at me, I'm so pretty compared to my surroundings." And the 10S is a rather definitive knocking you off your pedestal/bringing you back down to earth card.

Rodney

MandMaud

Hubris does make sense in context. It's a blow if this project is a product of hubris on my part, as it feels like a last resort - if I can't make this work, I haven't any other ideas as feasible as this seems.

But yes, it looks like I'll have to post the whole reading. I wanted to avoid that as it leads to SO MUCH following up... when I'm confused to some degree or other by every card! Tonight or maybe tomorrow, I probably will though. Thanks, Rodney.