Journey into Egypt - worth it?

delinfrey

I fell in love with JIE thanks to the Fool's Dog app and now I am determined to purchase it.

But I saw that the only option is through the artist's website? And the deck costs 109 USD? It is a little bit extravagant in my opinion, as this price doesn't even include the book.

Would you say it is worth it?

journeyinghome

As you haven't had a reply yet, I thought I'd step in and offer some thoughts.

I can't say if it would be worth it to you, but it was worth it to me and I'll explain why:

You're buying direct from the artist, who self-published the deck.
She created 79 original oil paintings for this deck. The hours it must have taken, boggles my mind! I think she painted full time for a couple of years! And that's aside from the time researching all that went into it!
This is Julie's finest deck, in my opinion. There is nothing else out there like this deck and she's captured something truly special in this artwork.

There are a couple of reviews here on AT that you might find useful too: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/journey-into-egypt/review.shtml

delinfrey

I apologise for the message that came across. I value the artist's work immensely and as I have said, I have fallen head over heels with this deck (in the app format).

I would love to own it, but 109USD (plus ghastly customs, I can imagine) WITHOUT the book is an investment that I would like to be sure about priorly. Although I am sure I would love the deck, I was looking for some feedback on whether anyone has ever maybe felt remorse or do they feel that the price is justified.

Especially since the guidebook is not available.

I am happy to pay up to 70-80 euros for a deck or kit, and I love self-published ones. I am just a little bit concerned over what constitutes the price for this deck, even though it is of course exceptionally beautiful.

journeyinghome

No apology needed :) It is a lot of money to spend and you need to be 100% sure :)

I think shipping is a part of it - posting out of USA is getting very pricey these days, sadly. I hear you about the customs charge - that always stings :(

The cards are large, so that would be a factor too. And a print run of just 1000.

If you have the app, then I believe you have a lot of the information about the deck there. I don't have the app so can't compare it with the book - maybe someone else on here does and can help you out?

The guidebook, 'making of' book, workbook and colouring book - they are all available on Lulu.com - as 'print on demand'. When I bought this way, they were printed in my country and I only paid domestic postage charge - worked really well. There was a thread about the books a year or so back - I'll try and find it for you.

Ultimately, I think you're paying for the artist's time and expertise and them putting together a beautiful product :)

GoldenWolf

I lucked out and purchased this from the Tarot Garden when they had a deeply discounted sale price at Christmas. However, the deck is beautiful and the quality is such that I don't feel that the full price is outrageous by any means. If you resonate with the deck, I would encourage you to get it even if it takes you a while to save up. While I am satisfied with owning some decks solely as iPhone apps, this is NOT one of them.

illyria

It was very much worth it for me; I wasn't at all interested in Egyptian-themed decks until I saw the JIE. I did purchase the app first, because I didn't want to jump the gun. I was pleasantly surprised that the book text is included in the app. Long story short—the app images were just so lush that it didn't take me long to buy the physical deck.

juliecucciawatts

I fell in love with JIE thanks to the Fool's Dog app and now I am determined to purchase it.

But I saw that the only option is through the artist's website? And the deck costs 109 USD? It is a little bit extravagant in my opinion, as this price doesn't even include the book.

Would you say it is worth it?

Your $109.00 includes the shipping which is $33.00 The deck is a limited edition first printing that will not be reprinted. There are only 1000 copies in existence. Once the deck is out of print the price will go thru the roof. It took 5 years to paint all the pictures and write the 300+ page book. You decide if it is worth it. I am not getting rich off of it, comes to about about $10,000 a year after the cost of printing.

AJ

julie, have you and Jason considered putting
the making of...the journey into Egypt as one of his apps?
I set on the edge of my seat over the years as you painted your heart out.

except in that time I've grown a serious eye problem and no long buy books.
I poured over the images you shared of this journal on your blog.

I of course have the deck app, but
I would so be all over the making of... as an app :)

thank you for sharing your art with us, Sharyn