The Playing Card Oracles by Cortez/Freeman

MareSaturni

Le Fanu said:
I use this deck in a way which I don´t think is in the book, but which I use a lot. I don´t know if I invented it, or I read it here, or whether a variation of it is actually in the book... My mobile phone has a calendar which has the weeks of the year and Ive taken to using the Playing Card Oracles for a weekly draw. I shuffle well, and if I look at my mobile for this forthcoming week, it says this forthcoming week is week 32, so I count off the cards up to 32 and get my card for the week! I can also see "blocked" influences either side...

Le Fanu, i don't think it's in the book! But it's a fantastic method, i hadn't thought of it! I like it, i'm going to try it one day! Sounds like a fantastic, and very apporpriate way to use a...calendar-deck, after all. :D :D :D

I always have to write down the reading, so when the time predicted arrived, i'll have the information. Last year, i made a reading about my professional\student life. There was lots of wind cards, and it said the situation the cards were showing would happen in the end of January\beggining of February.
A few months later, my mother set a trip to Europe to the beginning of January. But stuff happened at her job, and she had to change the date...to the end of January. I looked in my notes...i had writen this in a corner of the paper: 'travel, maybe?'. BEFORE i even knew.
The time was accurate, and the feelings portrayed in the reading, too. The reading was done almost 6 months beofre the trip.

I really like this system :D

Skydancer

Hi!!

I have this book and deck also -- but haven't worked with it in months. Been, ahh, pre-occupied of late!

But you have inspired me to get it out again. :)
Thanks!

Let's get this group going again! I'd really like that.

*S*

beachcomb

this is exceiting :D

Teacups

One thing that's a turn-off to me, as I read this book, I am convinced that "laddy Ladoux" is a fictional character, which is a juvenile thing (literary device) to prop up their system. I don't think the system needs such a tacky ploy, it has it's own merits. Seriously, anyone who goes around making up little poems about everything would be obnoxious..... and then, wouldn't this "person" want a cut of the book profits, since she receives so much of the credit for the pithy sayings? Anyone else notice that? It's a bit cheezy. I think the system is interesting enough without concocting the stereotypical "gypsy fortune teller" image..... or maybe it's just me, but I can see right through it

MysticalMoose

Have to say I agree on the "Laddy Ladoux" issue :D.. but apart from that I absolutely love this deck & have even purchased a spare copy. As a card player I wanted something a bit different for readings with playing cards & this just hits the spot. I love the size & colouring of the cards & always to seem to get a spookily accurate reading with this deck, its really "in your face" & straight to the point. I have enjoyed the book too ("Laddy Ladoux" aside) & have really got into it & used the deck more than my other oracles (apart from Graven Images that is)

MM :heart:

strings of life

I discovered this beautiful deck today, accidently, based on curiousity, when I asked emmsma about it in her trading thread. Someone else beat me to it, but I bought just the deck/book set on Amazon. The artwork just pulled me in. Gorgeous!

I just read this entire thread and the system sounds intriguing. I can't wait to play with them...

Marina, tell me more!

Le Fanu said:
Im a huge fan of this deck. As is Marina. 6HD hasn´t been around for a while (hope everything´s ok).

The book is essential, and I find that the cards are so receptive to opening up intuitive meanings. I don´t really know what else to say, except that I love them. It´s the Oracle system which has most grabbed me. I know somebody (forget who) says they work well together with the Bohemian Gothic.

Im so impressed with this system; it really holds together well. The whole Playing Card for divination history is excellently researched and argued.
I must hear about how these go well with the Bohemian Gothic.

But, this is an old thread so...

MareSaturni

Teacups said:
One thing that's a turn-off to me, as I read this book, I am convinced that "laddy Ladoux" is a fictional character, which is a juvenile thing (literary device) to prop up their system. I don't think the system needs such a tacky ploy, it has it's own merits. Seriously, anyone who goes around making up little poems about everything would be obnoxious.....

In my perception this kind of self-righteous comment is far more obnoxious than any poems.

I think that Laddy Laddoux might be fictional, but she appears so little in the book that, for me, pointing her out as the "bad thing" about the book is simply silly. She could be Ana's guide, or simply a gypsy-like reader that she met and decided to include in the story, in a more romanticized way. Which is her right, as an author.

aurarcana said:
I take it that I need the book too? Will get it. The deck I have on the way just comes with a booklet.

Yes, you need the book. Of course, after you learn it you won't, but the book is essential for learning the system. And - it's a MARVELOUS book. One of my favorites, I've read it from cover to cover about 3 or 4 times already!

So, do get yourself the book. The booklet is a poor companion to this great deck. :)

aurarcana said:
I just read this entire thread and the system sounds intriguing. I can't wait to play with them...

Marina, tell me more!

What do you wish to know? ;)

I've been using this deck since 2007, and it never ceases to amaze me. I hope the mods don't mind me adding this, but I talk a lot about it in my blog, if you are interested in seeing how I read with it.

And there's also Ana Cortez's channel, in YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/52CardMagic

There she teaches her method of reading, the same that is in the book. But I still believe that the book is indispensable to really "grasp" the system, and it's a very enjoyable reading on itself!

lark

lark said:
I'm thinking of ordering this set...my finger is hovering over the BUY IT NOW button.
Anybody still use it...has it stood the test of time?
Just wanted to say I did buy this set, I DO LOVE IT, and it has stood the test of time for me.
I have 3 copies of the deck and 2 books now just because I do use and love it so much I don't want to ever be without one.
I do a present moment spread every morning with them and it has been such fun watching the cards unfold everyday....

Marina..you have a great blog!

MareSaturni

lark said:
I have 3 copies of the deck and 2 books now just because I do use and love it so much I don't want to ever be without one.
I do a present moment spread every morning with them and it has been such fun watching the cards unfold everyday....

I have two copies of the book and two of the deck :D
I want to get a third one! I dread the idea of ever going without this deck, since it's my main reading one!

However, recently I started using "normal" playing card decks... okay, not "normal", I actually use historial reproductions of "Civil War Era" poker decks... and I am surprised with the results. Even without any images, I can still read well, which proves to me how great the PCO method is! :heart:

lark said:
Marina..you have a great blog!

Thank you :)
I'm glad you liked it!

strings of life

Marina said:
Yes, you need the book. Of course, after you learn it you won't, but the book is essential for learning the system. And - it's a MARVELOUS book. One of my favorites, I've read it from cover to cover about 3 or 4 times already!

So, do get yourself the book. The booklet is a poor companion to this great deck. :)
I canceled my order on Amazon and ordered the deck/book set instead :thumbsup:.

More later when I am back online :).