The Playing Card Oracles by Cortez/Freeman

Lee

To tell you the truth I don't pay too much attention to things like direction or seasons, but when I first read it, it did occur to me that fire as autumn seemed a bit strange. But do you really need to follow her correlations for the seasons? There's nothing in the images that specifically relates to seasons, unless I'm mistaken.

-- Lee

room

6 Haunted Days said:
years West is always Autumn. Autumn is the middle age, the decline, etc. So how does that correlate to fire? Which usually goes with adolesence?

My approach to stuff like this is just to flow with the author's system and forget about what you know from other systems.

However. . .

West Hearts Spring (water)
South Diamonds Autumn (fire)

Randomly I would say that Spring goes with Hearts and Water, because love "springs" eternal. Emotions are like a spring of water, always new, always bubbling to the surface, always growing and changing. As far as the West--"Go West young man" start a new life by going West like the pioneers maybe.

Diamonds when cut reflect light like a fire within. "Fire" is a word used often with diamonds to describe them, but they have to be cut. Autumn perhaps because of the fiery colour of leaves changing. Also, fire changes one thing to another by burning--a basic chemical precept of changing atoms--this perhaps referring also to diamonds needing to be cut to release their fire.

I don't know, you could associate anything with anything if you think about it. I never take card systems too seriously for that reason.

6 Haunted Days

room said:
My approach to stuff like this is just to flow with the author's system and forget about what you know from other systems.

However. . .

West Hearts Spring (water)
South Diamonds Autumn (fire)

Randomly I would say that Spring goes with Hearts and Water, because love "springs" eternal. Emotions are like a spring of water, always new, always bubbling to the surface, always growing and changing. As far as the West--"Go West young man" start a new life by going West like the pioneers maybe.

Diamonds when cut reflect light like a fire within. "Fire" is a word used often with diamonds to describe them, but they have to be cut. Autumn perhaps because of the fiery colour of leaves changing. Also, fire changes one thing to another by burning--a basic chemical precept of changing atoms--this perhaps referring also to diamonds needing to be cut to release their fire.

I don't know, you could associate anything with anything if you think about it. I never take card systems too seriously for that reason.

You're right. I was taking it too seriously. I have that tendency lol. What's weird is last night I was thinking on it and it was bugging the H out of me so I did a 2 card draw from the deck to see if I should just let it go or do the whole rearrange the meanings in the suit (which I didnt really want to do, messes it ALL up)....and my first card I drew was the West Wind! And the second was 3 spades which in this deck means burying something, laying it to rest, letting it go etc. (shows someone standing in front of a grave, not sure if you have the deck or not)...soooo it sure did give me my answer! : ) I was being too traditional and stuck in the mud with using the usual correspondences.

Lee

Last night I tried doing some regular layouts with the deck (i.e., not using the geomantic stuff). I did a Celtic Cross and then a five-card spread. It worked perfectly well, and I think that's how I'm going to use it from now on. It's not that I don't like the geomancy, in fact I do like it, but I'm a busy guy, and usually when I do a reading it's because I have a few minutes free, and I'd rather just be able to grab the deck and do it, as opposed to having to gather the deck, paper, pen, and the book.

-- Lee

6 Haunted Days

I've done quite a few readings with many different types of spreads other than those she has in the book and they work wonderfully. I do like the 4 card spread with geomancy, but like you said, sometimes it is too time consuming. My favourite spread from the book is the Bridge layout...I got an amazing reading from that one.....blew my mind!

I'm finding these cards and method much smoother, more intuitive and more natural to me then Tarot was/is.....even though I still adore Tarot, this method has really "clicked" with me.

:THERM

lark

I'm thinking of ordering this set...my finger is hovering over the BUY IT NOW button.
Anybody still use it...has it stood the test of time?

lunakasha

lark said:
I'm thinking of ordering this set...my finger is hovering over the BUY IT NOW button.
Anybody still use it...has it stood the test of time?

I am also seriously tempted, lark! })

From reading the posts here, and discussions with 6HD, it sounds like a must-have to me! The cards are beautiful, from the few scans I've seen, and the system described in the book is supposed to be easier to follow than others. I have very little experience with reading playing cards (there used to be a really cool website on the subject, but the system sounded WAY too complicated) so I can't comment on the other systems, but I know I want to try this one. It has been on my list for awhile....and I am still interested.

Please let us know when/if you get yours, lark!

:) Luna

lark

Hi luna...I will.
It's a hard decission...there is the Personal Prophecy book and the Hegewytchery site....and this set... and a few other books and sets....
I just don't want to muck up my mind with to many contrasting ideas.
I'd like to find a system, study it and stick with it.
I used to read playing cards long ago...I still have my little deck from the 70's with keywords scribbled on the cards in pencil.
And the happy hippy flowers on the backs. :)
For the life of me I can't remember where I got the key words from...so thought I'd start over with a fresh perspective...this one sounds like the book is well written and the teaching easy to follow and the special deck included adds to the whole package for me.
So I'll probably give it a go. It's just that I'm getting very picky about what I add to the collection at this a stage...decks gathering dust really bother me, so I ask alot of questions now before I buy..

Cerulean

I found a few scans online, the first link seems to be down

Here's another link...

http://www.wopc.co.uk/usa/oracles.html

I think that U.S. Games has samples as well...stilll looking for the first link, but it's not working for me.

Cerulean

lunakasha

lark said:
So I'll probably give it a go. It's just that I'm getting very picky about what I add to the collection at this a stage...decks gathering dust really bother me, so I ask alot of questions now before I buy..

Yes....I understand what you mean, I am also getting more specific with what I want to add, and have weeded out many of the dusty ones.

(((((Cerulean))))) THANK YOU for the link, ooooooh it is getting harder to resist! :eek:

They are so pretty.....:love:

The idea of learning a whole new system....I just don't know if I have the time and/or patience for it right now.

But it is on the list for later consideration....})

:) Luna