21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card VS 78 Degrees of Wisdom (Help!...which one?)

pippi

Hi! I'm hoping to get some opinions on the differences between these two books. What I'm looking for is not a book to *tell* me what the cards mean, but rather to help me discover new ways to experience the cards, to broaden my vision and expand my intuition. (I tend to go more with what I feel the cards are saying at the moment, rather than always using the default traditional meanings.)

If you can think of another book that may better serve my purposes than the two I mentioned, I'm open to all suggestions!

Thanks in advance for your insight!! :)

coyoteblack

Well first to qualify I have been part of the 21 ways study group for months now. I use 78 degrees as part of my research in doing that and a lot of my 78 weeks to read a tarot study group.

They both are awesome for different reasons If I had no book at all to look up definitions with i would say 78 degrees if i already knew the basic meanings of the cards and wanted a more fullers meaning i would say 21 ways .

so for your reasons I would say 21 ways book there is a real nice book also by theresa Michelson( sorry i spell her name wrong all the time) called the complete tarot reader that is also awesome for what you want.

Forrest of souls by rachael will be awesome for new ways to use the tarot.

Bluecat

21 ways gets you experiencing cards in totally your own way, in ways that you probably wouldn't think of - it's a fabulous way of learning them. It certainly helped me be able to read the cards without looking up the meanings.

78 degrees is also a fabulous book but doesn't get you working as such with the cards... great to deepen your foundation of knowledge but not so much on the intuition.

So IMHO 21 ways for what you want but if you can afford them both they are excellent books :D

pippi

bluecat...yeah, i've got the traditional meanings down, i've been reading for others for awhile. but no matter how long you've been doing something, there's always room to grow...i love that about life! :) so i am looking for something to help me expand my own interpretations and become even more intuitive. thank you so much!

coyoteblack...from what you both have said, it seems that "21 Ways" is more of what i'm looking for right now than "78 Degrees". i will also check out the other two books you recommended, thanks so very much!!

Orlando

Perfect Double-Feature!

Yes! Good advice! Read Greer FIRST to really get a handle on the cards and banish any constraints on using them creatively in the future. THEN, dive into Pollack who will expand your vision towards unimagined horizons. The great thing about both books is that they stand up to multiple-readings...ENJOY!

pippi

Thanks! I ordered "21 Ways..." yesterday! :)

dadsnook2000

Well, Pippi

. . . You can start off the right way and immediately join the Apprentice Level at the study group for 21 Ways To Read A Tarot Card. Several others have just recently started and are only a couple of steps ahead of you.

You will have plenty of example to go by, and lots of encouragement and support from those of us who have already completed the Apprentice Level and are starting on the Adept Level. Its like a special group within this special AT group. Come join us. Dave

pippi

Hi Dave...I did have a look through those threads but after the first few assignments, I realized I needed the book, so I will wait until it arrives. Not sure if I can commit to posting all of my steps though, and wouldn't want to start and then trail off somewhere along the lines. I'll have to see what the work entails. I'll definitely be doing it at home, but not sure I'll have the time to commit to keeping up-to-date on the forums. We'll see...and thanks for the invite! :)

coyoteblack

For Pippi

You can go at you own pace Pippi. and you can do the first few steps with out the book.

There are people that have taken some time off then post lost of stuff in succession. and we had one person to go on her own while we encouraged her.

pippi

Thanks coyote! I'm trying to decide which deck I'll start with. The book is coming in a shipment with a Morgan-Greer deck, and as they both have that synchronistic "Greer" thing going on, I think I have to start with that deck! :)