3 of swords heirophant 7 of swords.Karma..elementals here?

Ethereal

hi all
I did a good size spread for a friend of mine, in regards to this question. the last 3 cards I am not to sure about how to read this, especially elementally. however, I need a little help with the elementals here. trying to get better with them. the question was:

what is the possibility that he is getting a karmic return for the way he treated her in the past? (all cards upright)

3 of swords hierophant 7 of swords

I am reading the hierophant as a major, here. and, a major life lesson also. he is often see as a teacher. so , I think he has been taught a major like lesson in regards to how he treated her in the past. I read the 3 of swords as ill-dignified. the pain goes on and on for him, no relief. after everything came out in the open. read 7 of swords as ill-dignified too. the fact that he thought he could deceive her in the past, he found out didn't work. trying to get what he could from her in a sneaky way. the lack of honesty was wrong.

not sure, but trying. I need some help, anyone?

Ethereal

i do think the hierophant being a major would carry more weight than the 3 of swords and 7 of swords. plus earth card carry more weight that air. seeing that, I saw the 3 and 7 of swords as ill-dignified, even though they were upright. these last three I think should be read according to the elements. air earth air..

rwcarter

what is the possibility that he is getting a karmic return for the way he treated her in the past? (all cards upright)

3 of swords hierophant 7 of swords

I am reading the hierophant as a major, here. and, a major life lesson also. he is often see as a teacher. so , I think he has been taught a major like lesson in regards to how he treated her in the past. I read the 3 of swords as ill-dignified.
i do think the hierophant being a major would carry more weight than the 3 of swords and 7 of swords. plus earth card carry more weight that air. seeing that, I saw the 3 and 7 of swords as ill-dignified, even though they were upright. these last three I think should be read according to the elements. air earth air..
You may have a special way of reading EDs that works for you, but the above isn't the standard way of reading EDs. In a triad ABC, A and C modify the meaning of B, but B doesn't have any effect on the meanings of A and C. So if any card should be read reversed, it would be the Hierophant. I'm pretty sure there's nothing within the GD ED Rules that assigns more weight to a Major over a minor or to one suit over the other.

I would read those three cards as a lesson not being learned (Hierophant) because the loss/heartbreak he felt was minor (3S) and because he feels like he got away with something/is continuing with the same behavior (7S). So if there is karmic payback going on, I don't see it affecting him at this point in his life.

Rodney

laurence

In a triad, the middle card is always the main one and the 2 others are either supporting It or weakening It.

air earth air

Let's say the Hierophant indicates learning which is a principal theme of Karma.
3 of swords and 7 of Swords will weaken the Hierophant because Air and Earth are not friendly with each others.
Learning the lesson (Hierophant)will be weakened by the way they understand themselves and the situation(3 of Swords) and by the way they view the big picture as a winning strategy(7 of Swords).

So I think Karma is much more complicated. Your friend might have a lesson to learn from this story (It can be forgiveness, understanding, whatever).Karma is not only debt, but also lessons and reunions.

But I think Rodney here is a kind of a master regarding Elemental dignities. I'm just Learning.

By the way, I can discuss a major card putting more weight in a reading but I don't really think earth is more important than Air or water or fire.

laurence

Damn. I type too slow. He has already posted an answer.

rwcarter

But I think Rodney here is a kind of a master regarding Elemental dignities. I'm just Learning.
Thanks, but hardly. I just post more about them than anyone else. :)

Farzon

Rodney' s way would be the usual way to read ED. Personally I also give to Majors more relevance and power than to the Minors, but that is only subjective. I never read anything of the like in any GD sources I have.

To the combo in question: the Hierophant is ill-dignified here. My take: a lesson not being learned because of self-pity that helps in avoiding responsibility.

EDIT: self-pity is a bit harsh. There's something going on in his own life that worries him so much and keeps him from thinking about his responsibility.

rwcarter

To the combo in question: the Hierophant is ill-dignified here. My take: a lesson not being learned because of self-pity that helps in avoiding responsibility.
OOOOH!!!!!! I like that! :thumbsup:

Ethereal

thank you , each and everyone for responding to my post! wow, this is alot to take in..but I am digesting all of it. trying to become better at ED's , and it can be quite confusing to me at times.

farzon: that is a very interesting take on this group of cards! the hierophant as ill-dignified
because of the lesson NOT learned because of self-pity , that helps in avoiding responsibility. so, in effect, he feels way more sorry for himself, to avoid taking any responsibility for what he had done. hmmm..i like that too! thank you!

Laurence: yes, learning it a principle them of karma..lessons in life. thanks for mentioning that! the way he views himself and the way he views the big picture as, *winning stragety.*
I think it would fit here, in the overall larger read, when tied in with these 3 cards. thank u!

rw carter: lesson not learned, because he got away with it and going to continue the same behavior. so as of now, no karmic payback. it fits with the rest of the cards I pulled; makes sense. I read throught how you read the ED's. makes alot of sense to me. I was looking at the hierophant as carrying the weight here as a major, and an earth card, weakening the 3 of swords and 7 of swords. arghhhh......this is looking more like algebraic equation to me, and I never was good at math! lol! but, still trying! and, thank you for all the help!!!!

rwcarter

I read throught how you read the ED's. makes alot of sense to me. I was looking at the hierophant as carrying the weight here as a major, and an earth card, weakening the 3 of swords and 7 of swords. arghhhh......this is looking more like algebraic equation to me, and I never was good at math! lol! but, still trying! and, thank you for all the help!!!!
The standard way of reading EDs always starts with the card in the middle. The flanking cards weaken or strengthen the interpretation of the center card. You may decide that a Major flanking card completely overrules a Minor central card, but that's not standard.

So it's not that hard to figure out - start with the card in the middle and it doesn't matter whether you go next to the card on the left or the card on the right. I tend to go to the left first just because we read from left to right. But sometimes the interpretation makes better sense if I go right first.