3 of Swords interpretations

mahjong

interesting...I got the 3 of swords in a reading I did for myself "The road less travelled" . Position 5 is titled 'advantages of the path less travelled'.
Now I've really only scanned over the results but my thoughts before I did the reading were on my dilemma as to whether I should relocate to England so I took the 3 of swords is this position to mean that I would not feel so isolated and separated from family or feel so lost.

Aerin

Wow, thanks everyone - I do appreciate all the intput, oh and (((Bronwyn1))) if Santa Claus is the Spirit of Christmas, then still alive and well. I won't reply to everyone individually but not because I haven't read and appreciated.

MDR I love the Minchiate card too. I really must go and get the Alida version (have the Brian WIlliams deck). Oh and I just got the BG 3 of Swords.

TCO and a few others have also led me to think about the third sword being used to cut the 2 of swords blindfold off in the RWS deck to see more clearly.

So it might be illusionment as much as disillusionment.

Aerin, feeling a bit more illusioned

le fey

I don''t mind the pierced heart - I tend to see the card as truth cutting right down to the heart of the matter. It is often painful, but the card is about getting to the heart of things rather than the emotional side effect.

But I just saw a very interesting version if it in the Bright Ideas deck, which applies the keyword 'variance' to it and shows a woman baking a cake...she's got the cookbook out showing a perfect, beautiful cake and looking at it and her own version...which is lopsided and badly frosted. The kitchen is full of used dishes...she's clearly worked very hard, but her version doesn't match up with the fantasy perfection the recipe advertised.

I thought that really played up what's going on here - the 'disillusionment' comes in the comparison for what you hope is truth with what's realistically going on. I remember a quote somewhere (I can never remember where I hear things) that said unhappiness is felt in intensity according to how far there is between what you expect and what you get.

Aerin

Aha! Le Fey, I need to get that deck out again. It puts a different take on many cards related more to element/ suit than any RWS interpretation.

And there can also be the opposite thing i.e. what you get is oh so much better than what you thought you had.

Cognitive dissonance?

Aerin

le fey

Oh excellent phrase for it, yes - that can toss out illusions just as much as disappointment can. I've found sometimes that it's harder than I figured it would be to give up negative beliefs in the face of evidence to the contrary - sometimes as hard as giving up the positive ones.

LadyKathryn

soooooooooo thats why i've been faced with this card

le fey said:
Oh excellent phrase for it, yes - that can toss out illusions just as much as disappointment can. I've found sometimes that it's harder than I figured it would be to give up negative beliefs in the face of evidence to the contrary - sometimes as hard as giving up the positive ones.

HOLY SNOOKIES!!! lol This is sooooooooooooo why this card has been popping up in my personal readings!

Both me and my partner are having issues letting go of NEGATIVE beliefes!!!!!!!!!!! and it's way way harder than giving up on a positive idea.
too many of us are grounded in fear... not love.

DING DING DING... thank you for the inadvertant clarity!

Alan Ross

My "favorite" Three of Swords is from the Spiral Tarot, which has been mentioned previously. Another unconventional favorite of mine is the Three of Swords from the Fey Tarot. It shows a young male fey immersed in seawater and with a red sword tattooed on his chest.

http://trionfi.com/m/d0yyyy.php?decknr=5249

The tattoo is a part of him, he cannot separate himself from the pain it represents. The sea he is immersed in represents the tears he has shed, but it also represents purification and healing, an eventual washing away of his pain. I love this double significance, with its suggestion that grieving is a necessary part of healing. A gentle breeze wafting through his wings, signifying the passage of time, also promises that the pain will pass.

Alan

Alan Ross

Cass Snoopy said:
Hi, I like the Minichiate 3oS - is a a bear or 2 underneath the wolf?

My guess is that they're Romulus and Remus, from the legend of the founding of Rome.

Alan

Aerin

Alan Ross said:
Another unconventional favorite of mine is the Three of Swords from the Fey Tarot. It shows a young male fey immersed in seawater and with a red sword tattooed on his chest.

I like this one as well, although the permanence suggests difficulty in moving on. Not sure that is an 'although' but I quite like the 'let go and move on' aspect to this card I've decided.

Give yourself a rest in any case (4 of Swords)!!!!

Aerin