4 of Cups and The Tower

GoddessArtemis

Does anyone have any idea(s) on how The Tower clarifies the 4 of Cups? I can't see what aspect of the 4 of Cups the Tower would make more clear.

Thoughts?

GA

DrDave

The Four of Cups represents periods of self-absorption.
If you are self-absorbed, you refer everything back to your own interests and desires -

It's a matter of not seeing what's right in front of you.
Maybe your soul mate is the boy next door, but he's so familiar that you never give him a second glance.

and the Tower tells you that there is going to be a big change,or that the change has happened already in that direction

Tearing down that which was built on lies to rebuild on truth's
Nice cards
Dr Dave

pasara

Nice explanation, Dr. Dave. I agree.

Just for another way of looking at it, it could be that the Tower is a warning about accepting that cup that is being offered in the 4. It is saying that something is being offered to you, it's coming your way, but don't be tempted. The deal that's too good to be true, is just that.

Grizabella

This is why I don't use "clarifiers". They don't clarify, they muddy the water even more and just add confusion.

DrDave

Yep Grizabella
Far better are the surrounding cards in the spread
I would also get confused especially with majors and minors
Elemental dignities could help if you understand them
DD

GoddessArtemis

Thanks everyone. I like clarifiers and they usually help my readings quite a bit - I guess we're all different in that way. In this case, though, I wasn't so much wondering about the combination of these two cards together...but more about what aspect of the 4 of Cups the Tower was pulling for; from my perspective, the 4 of Cups is a very non-active card, whereas the Tower is quite aggressive/active.

The only thing I can think of is...in the 4 of Cups, an "offer" is being made "out of the blue" (RWS), and the Tower is an "out of the blue surprise" (not a good one, usually), so that's the common ground. But I'm wondering if that's what the Tower is clarifying?

GA

starrystarrynight

Could be you're apathetic about something that needs more enlightenment or a good shake-up (in order to either understand why you are so bored with the thing or simply that you need to do something to change your thinking on it.)

p.s. I don't like or use "clarifiers" either. If I see that someone has drawn a couple of cards for one position, my mind usually goes to the second card being the Foundation for the first or, in the case of it being a trump, the possibility that its energy is needed to "help along" the energy of the first card.

Edited to add:

GA, we cross-posted. If you see the Four of Cups as an offer you are considering taking, perhaps, the Tower is your need to become more enlightened upon what that offer really means or would entail if you took it. I see trumps as things you need to learn or do, so to me, it would make sense that the offer in the Four of Cups may not be all that it seems at face value, and the Tower is asking you to shake it down and get to the bottom of what it truly is.

pasara

GoddessArtemis said:
I wasn't so much wondering about the combination of these two cards together...but more about what aspect of the 4 of Cups the Tower was pulling for...
I would see that the Tower is clarifying what that cup being offered you is really about.

GoddessArtemis

pasara said:
I would see that the Tower is clarifying what that cup being offered you is really about.
Yes, that was my thought, too...or could it just be the "surprise" aspect of a cup coming out of the clouds (out of the blue)?

Is the Tower always bad? (I believe so, but wondering about what everyone else thinks)

GA

Fostha

GoddessArtemis said:
Is the Tower always bad? (I believe so, but wondering about what everyone else thinks)
GA

Abslutely NOT....... IMHO. If we stay on the same old path we shouldn't be suprised when we dont get anywhere different,sometimes the tower is just the kick up the arse that one needs,but totally depends on the situation/surrounding cards etc etc. I'll always welcome the tower,:)but then thats just me. :angel: I'm sure some other folks opinion will differ.