4 of Swords

Elentir

I personally prefer to understand the 4 of swords in the sense of "peace of mind." I only ask because I was taken aback in a reading where the querent spoke up upon seeing the card and said the knight was in a crypt. And then I suddenly thought, "Hey, she's kinda right!" I will say, though, that if the 4 of swords were indeed a card of death, it nevertheless seems to be a rather kindly, peaceful death; "to die, to sleep-- to sleep, perchance to dream...."

The 4s in general seem strange to me (in the RWS, that is). I often try to think of the minor arcana in terms of Kabbalistic correspondences, and as such, the 4s belong to the sephirah of Khesed, "Mercy," which is an expanding, outward-facing kind of energy (cf. Jupiter being traditionally assigned to this sephirah as well), balanced by Gevurah, "Judgement," which is the position of the 5s on the other side of the Tree. But in the RWS, only the 4 of wands seems to be in this spirit, at least as traditionally interpreted by the LWB and other books I've seen. Based on what I've read in Kabbalah (and I hardly consider myself an expert), the 2s, 4s, and 7s should all in some respect reflect the outward, expanding side of the Kabbalistic Tree.

Further, 4s otherwise represent solidity, stability, and the like, which of course can be either positive or negative (as in inertia or rigidity).

From now on, I think I'm going to interpret the 4s differently. To me, the 4 of pentacles means that one's resources are maintained and protected, which I generally see as a good (a very good) thing. Perhaps reversed its implication could be the more traditional "avaricious, miserly behavior." The 4 of cups to me is the opportunity to follow a new path (whereas reversed it is perhaps the inability to see or take advantage of such an opportunity, through boredom and such). And the 4 of swords? I do, as I mentioned, usually see it as "peace of mind," for the reasons I've just explained. Reversed, stagnation of thought, inability to be mentally or intellectually flexible. Or a conflict that one cannot put to rest or detach oneself from.

I'd better stop now, because the other half of my brain is saying "Wait a second--" and starting to come up with counterarguments.... that's what I get for being born under Mercury in Gemini! :)

Ace

krazymayj said:
ace and waleswoman, did either of you take into account that while the man under the coffin is covered, away from the situation, there is in the window a man making a gesture to a child?

Huh? amazing! I never noticed that! It is a man in churchly garb or a woman and a kneeling child, yes. Renewal? maybe.

Ace

Elentir said:
I personally prefer to understand the 4 of swords in the sense of "peace of mind." I only ask because I was taken aback in a reading where the querent spoke up upon seeing the card and said the knight was in a crypt. And then I suddenly thought, "Hey, she's kinda right!" I will say, though, that if the 4 of swords were indeed a card of death, it nevertheless seems to be a rather kindly, peaceful death; "to die, to sleep-- to sleep, perchance to dream...."

Further, 4s otherwise represent solidity, stability, and the like, which of course can be either positive or negative (as in inertia or rigidity).

From now on, I think I'm going to interpret the 4s differently. To me, the 4 of pentacles means that one's resources are maintained and protected, which I generally see as a good (a very good) thing. Perhaps reversed its implication could be the more traditional "avaricious, miserly behavior." The 4 of cups to me is the opportunity to follow a new path (whereas reversed it is perhaps the inability to see or take advantage of such an opportunity, through boredom and such). And the 4 of swords? I do, as I mentioned, usually see it as "peace of mind," for the reasons I've just explained. Reversed, stagnation of thought, inability to be mentally or intellectually flexible. Or a conflict that one cannot put to rest or detach oneself from.

I'd better stop now, because the other half of my brain is saying "Wait a second--" and starting to come up with counterarguments.... that's what I get for being born under Mercury in Gemini! :)

4 of swords to me, is a sort of rest or time out but it does bring to mind Hamlet, to be or not to be? speech. In which death is a time out or rest time. In the WorldTree tarot where the 4 of pentacles is a man hiding and hoarding his gold under a mountain, I have come to see that as staying safe and protected and not negative at all. So all these new ideas and interpretations of images are not THE ONLY TRUE WAY. but a message the universe is sending you right now... Listen!

shandar

The 4/swords

Ros, as per usual, you open threads about fascinating insights. Yaboot, you have helped me understand why this four has appeared so much in my own spreads after being out of work for 2 years.

Thanks Fulgour for your thoughts on the stained window, and Fool, your comments are wonderful as well.

Hudson, you cut to the quick as usual.

Fulgour, I am looking at the original rider and don't see a figure in the middle of the window at all. In the original rider the colors are quite different as well. What I see is a child, perhaps a girl, receiving blessings from Christ. Is this the figure you are speaking about? In my deck she has a Puritan-type white cap on her head and is wearing a red jacket.

Shandar

Emeraldgirl

I have always associated this card with a desperate need to rest and renew. To get away and 'drop out of life' for a while in order to become stronger for the future. I have however also read it as "get off your butt and do something" when the surrounding cards drew me to that conclusion. Sleeping the sleep of the dead you miss out on the living so sometimes you need to wake up.

mythos

I was doing some study on English Church History and its art and architecture. Why? Well ... 'cos it's there LOL. Anyway, in addition to the images of 'powerful' people that where sculpted on the stone tombs way back when, there was also a period during which the actual skeleton of the dead guy was shown in a glass case on top of the tomb. Put that with the imagery of the Church stained-glass window, and it makes for an interesting addition to reading possibilities (remembering that Waite was English and, presumably) well aware of Church art and architecture ... and if he wasn't Pixie smith would have been). So, while my general reading for it (for me as a person who suffers Fibromyalgia Syndrome and can work her self to 'death' - or a death-like state of rest, if I over do it) it is definitely, it is the time-out card. A warning to consider (meditate upon - mind) how well I have been pacing myself and to take the time to lie down and really give my body time-out - because my mind can remain active (swords) while I rest.

However, in a reading for others, I tend towards the truce, time to stop and take stock and think (swords) things through in a structured and realistic manner (4), especially with regard to possible slander going on - or a desire within the person to speak a secret first, without thinking. But, if I had it in a reading with the combination of the 10 of swords, and the Tower, for example ... I'd be thinking of actual death as a possible interpretation given the historic symbolism from Church art and architecture.

mythos

judylea1

4 swords

Always seemed like a card that might follow the Tower or Death card itself. A card of recovery, contemplating whatever positive can be gleaned from a situation that drained one in some way. Not ready to be active again, but preparing to be.

mythos

Thanks JudyLea, that adds a new perspective for me. I must remember to look at where it is in the spread, before jumping to any conclusions.

mythos

Hummingbird

I found this on a site which came up in a Google search:

You will experience frustration, anger, or tears resulting from unfulfilled desires or insurmountable difficulties, but that condition will not last long. You will experience a feeling of being cut off or out of touch with a loved one, but your determination to overcome negative conditions will win out. Pray or ask for what is rightfully yours, and continue to apply yourself to the work at hand.

Interesting. I wish there were more symbolism in the card. Most decks provide nothing more than the typical RW images. This one is a bit different:

http://www.saskiadeneuve.com/tarot opt/4-swords-opt.jpg

I've posted links to this deck before. What do you think of the swords clashing toward the heavens? Currently, 4 of Sw is my card. I can relate to several ideas which have been pointed out on this thread. However, my own feel as it relates to my current situation surrounds karmic debt. But, while psychic about most situations in my life, the work/office aspect eludes me. And I'm not sure if that is because there is nothing to fear and I'm just being paranoid and "en garde," or if there is something truly negative I should not be made aware of...in order that I stick around and pay the debt, thereby allowing me to move on.

Amandajane

I personally see this card as a time to look inwards,solitude,and quiet.
Although a very good friend of mine who is an extrodinary reader when she has the 4 of swords come up is when a funeral is immient,or is in relation to what situation past or present the querant is enquiring about.