5 of wands -- what are they doing?

Troubadour

To me the five of wands is not strife at all. I look at the card and see challenge. "up for a challenge" or "a sporting challenge" or "the situation will be challenging." It is more sport than fight, but in any competition, there's this aspect of challenge, not conflict. At worst, I might see "a competitive situation." but it depends on what I'm reading thematically and where the card is in the story. But you're right, it was never about strife, at least to me.

Teheuti

Crowley says in his book that the card is actually about "striving" rather than strife.

Several of my clients have seen the people as trying to erect a pentagram (more obvious when seen in the reversal).

Personally, my favorite take on it is that it's like a kid's grass-fight. Everyone starts out in a spirit of play but it can degenerate quickly to someone getting hurt and going home crying.

I also call it the "committee card" as it can be like trying to get anything done by committee. It can be helpful to look at it as your own inner committee - different parts of yourself that all want different things. Sometimes I try to name what each part wants. Simply being heard & acknowledged often satisfies those competing voices/perspectives - or there could be a way to give each part a something that it wants.

Mary

tantricknite

Another aspect of the card is that It's good for business.Your going to stay busy and theres a lot of immediate work.Kinda like a labor day sale at a department store or during the Christmas season at the mall.I also like trubadors comment " a sporting challange".If there was a card that represents sports in the tarot this would be it.I was also thinking about how this card would combine with other suits.This card and a lot of swords would be strife and conflict.This card and a lot of cups would show passion and conflicting emotions.This card and a lot of pents would be work and business issues.This card with a lot of other wands shows a lot of spirit,energy and immediate activity.I've also have some personal observations from my journaling but I can't explain the logic behind this interpetation in regards to delays.The five have pents has showed up in my readings as showing some kind of delay in the arrival of guests or a package that can't be tracked.It comes up as a scedualing conflict or in real time delays at the airport.The paradox is that wands because of their force usually indicates an immediate event...Or maybe it's the immediate event of whatever was suppose to happen not happening lol !!!.

willowfox

They look like they are all working out, as in physical fitness, preparing for the competition that lies ahead, they are competitors and thus rivals. But, like any game of fitness or strength, things can easily get out of hand and turn rather nasty, so anger and real aggression can always result from the initial sparring.
It demands a great deal of self control not to let the situation degenerate into chaos and conflict.

le fey

I always remind myself that 'strife' and 'strive' are aspects of the same concept. When we strive - together or in opposition to others - it can be frustrating, but that doesn't make it negative. I see this card as describing a situation where people are attempting to work together for a common purpose but haven't yet worked out exactly how they're going to do it or what role each one is going to take. There is still some jockeying for position and probably some energetic competition about whose ideas will be followed, but ultimately, they are all coming together to manifest something concrete (that pentagram they're trying to form) out of their collective energy.

And sure, there may be some petty squabbling and exclamations of frustration, but if you've ever watched a crew build a house you know that's just part of how the job gets done.

caridwen

Having had this card come up several times in the last couple of days, I think it means conflict over how to move forward or on how to go about doing something. The conflict is not yet serious, bickering maybe, a little fiery. Imagine a group of friends at the beginning of an evening arguing about what they are going to do - since I see them attempting to build a pentacle, I see them arguing about creating something together. It can also be an inner card of conflict on how to proceed regarding a certain situation or issue.

Magenta_Wolves

On the 5 Wands the man in the red tunic with the hat on is holding onto a wand that has no growth on it, it is the only wand in the deck without growth. Do you think that has any significance?

willowfox

Magenta_Wolves said:
On the 5 Wands the man in the red tunic with the hat on is holding onto a wand that has no growth on it, it is the only wand in the deck without growth. Do you think that has any significance?

Well, if you are always fighting and disagreeing with each other then growth is impossible. Once you stop the conflict then growth can resume.

star-lover

5 of wands is the best of the 5s
in the minor arcana

5 of wands you have choice n opportunity and fun
in the other 5s its just sad

Sagepowder

I can't say what they are doing but in my experience, if you get the feeling of something with a house then that's what the card is telling you at that moment. I have tried reading about a card and then getting a different feeling from it in a reading and I always go by my gut instinct regardless if the card is "meant" to convey a different meaning.