6 of Pentacles

wilde-tarot

wilde-tarot

The Merchant holds his "giving " hand in the same way as the Hierophant-performing a Benadictine/Blessing-he is outside the Walled City as the Four of Pentacles-the cards structure is that of the Hierophant,Lovers and the Devil-One Dominant Figure Towering over those less powerful-yet the scales remain balanced-sometimes it may mean an assumption has been made-that the person in the Power Position feels they are doing enough-they havent bothered the sit down and see what these two people actually need not what he feels they want..thats a bit of how I use it in spreads-I reckon basically a goood card

cdabs

Six (6) Of Pentacles

I always wanted to know what that "red thing" was/is in the blue-blanketed beggar's pocket.

The coins above seem to form a scale which tips in favor (more coins on left side of card) of the yellow-blanketed beggar (much like the real scale in the money-giver's left hand). Also....the man in yellow seems more destitute...with a patch on his blanket....and a head injury(?).

BodhiSeed

cdabs said:
I always wanted to know what that "red thing" was/is in the blue-blanketed beggar's pocket.

Me too! :D

I suppose I see this card as using "balanced judgment" in giving. Sometimes we enable others by helping them too much, other times we don't give when we should.

Bodhran

cdabs

Six (6) Of Pentacles

Yeah...that red thing in the blue-blanketed guy's pocket (is it a pocket?)...makes me think he's hiding something (just out of sight) from the money-giver....like, maybe he really doesn't need any hand-outs after all??? The man with the yellow blanket doesn't have any "pockets" showing....nothing to hide, apparently.

I think maybe the money-giver can tell the difference between them...and he fairly distributes based on his judgment....and the scales. He looks at the man in yellow....as if saying, "I realize you are in need....I will help you."

tarotlyn

6 of Pentacles relates to the Lovers VI card

6's mean CHOICES... Lovers card: is the need to make a CHOICE regarding
tempations that are being offered to the person.

6 of Pentacles:
Here I think it means that the person is making choices and learning to share
their resources and money with those whom they CHOSE to do so. If they
are not...they should be at least helping those that are in need.

This card can also mean that they are choosing other ways in which to make
an income. They are making WISE decisions [choosing] about their money.
But I think "choosing to share" is the better meaning.
It is very healing when you share.

Reversed:
Making bad decisions with their money. Not being charitable and very selfish
person. That can bring them a poverty mind-set and actually cause them
health problems.
:T6P

Seafra

I never put the hand gesture together with the Hierophant, but Waite tells us, "A person in the guise of a merchant weighs money in a pair of scales and distributes it to the needy and distressed. It is a testimony to his own success in life, as well as to his goodness of heart."

It isn't possible that the Hiero disguises himself as a merchant? I simply can't go there.

In 78 Degrees of Wisdom Rachel Pollack seriously plays up the hierarchy depicted and relates it to one person wishing to dominate and the others wish to be dominated, which is how the relationship stays in balance, adding that it gives them very little but just enough not to look for something else. (Relationship can also refer to an emotional or business situation.) Her reversal of this is the relationship out of balance, resentment on the part of the receivers. I tried using this for a long time but it so rarely fit.

I see charity, payment of debts, gratitude for abundance, material gain, giving of your talents or compassion Also financial assistance and perhaps a raise. Most often it is simply that you are in a position to help someone and do it for no personal gain. For reversal there is refusing to share, not putting oneself in a position to receive, one giving out of proportion to the other. - Sea

Alison

I am going to give this one a go. Like everyone else, I see balance. The scales remind me of this, as does the two different paths offered in the Lovers card. The wealthy or comfortable man gives to the others beneath him. I think of the 'Wheel of Fortune' card a bit because there is always going to be someone that is better off than we are and there is always going to be someone who is not as fortunate as us. It's a bit like a chain and positions can shift, I suppose.

When I have seen this card, I have considered that it means I will either receive or give charity. I have not had it come up much in my readings, but when it did before, my husband and I took it as a hint to bag up some things we no longer needed and take them along to our local charity shop. Maybe the scales remind us to distribute our own personal wealth. The man in the yellow might do the very same after the merchant has left by then balancing his own coins and giving some to the other begger. When I had this card before, I also wondered if a reversed '6 of Pentacles' could be about abusing charity, like when people draw unemployment benefits when they are secretly working for cash in hand. It might suggest a time to stop taking handouts and find another means of income. I wonder if the scales of Justice remind us to be honest and good in our intentions, whether we are giving or receiving.

Looking at the man in the green coat or whatever it is, I don't see a pocket. I see a patch. It's funny how it is the clothes that separate the man from the two beggers visually. There could be issues of power over others, I think, linked to this card and being able to control other people by their needs. Otherwise, reagardless of clothes, everyone is the same underneath.

Alison