about the other person.

On the contrary,
it seems that person once had strong feelings,
and they are now disappointed.
I can't quite grasp this.

Ideas?

franniee

hi cutie!

to me the 8 of cups always means letting go of your dream/notion of what will be - of knowing that you have done all you can do to get what you wanted and you are walking away not looking for the outcome but knowing that all was done that could be and leaving it up to fate.

So for feelings it isn't abandonment it is knowing you gave it all and leaving it to fate - what will be will be, you aren't waiting for the outcome.

acceptance of the outcome.

yes it is despair and rejection as well but it is also you accepting that whatever will be will be but without regret.

hope that helps. :love:

Reverie

Hi franniee!

Thank you for your interpretation.
Interesting the connection to walking away-- but not completely... simply not putting as much hope into it... but still leaving a few cups behind.
I guess this isn't such a bad card for feelings.
Perhaps this is the kind of card that would come up for casual relationships, or a relationship that didn't work out and is going into the casual level.

Grizabella

You know that phrase "Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, don't wanna go there again"? Well, that's what it could mean as someone's feelings for another person.

Reverie

Solitaire* said:
You know that phrase "Been there, done that, got the t-shirt"? Well, that's what it could mean as someone's feelings for another person.

Hmm... like they've 'used' the person to the maximum? Not so good after all!

Wouldn't this be more 4 of cups?

franniee

it's not about hope - it's about knowing - it's about knowing you did your best and everything you could and letting it go and not waiting for the outcome - putting it in fate's hands.....but not thinking about it anymore...letting it go.

Thirteen

cutiecutie said:
...it is a card of deserting something,
yet I don't think this indicates the person would feel 'empty'
about the other person.

On the contrary,
it seems that person once had strong feelings,
and they are now disappointed.
I think you and Franniee might be looking at it the wrong way. Why do you think the person is feeling like they ought to *walk away* from something dissatisfying, rather than *walk towards* something new and different?

This is a card about leaving your comfort zone for something new and important that is drawing you, calling to you. It doesn't mean that the old disappoints or has failed you, or that you don't love it still. Just that the moon calls...and you have to take a chance on what it has to offer.

So the person may not be feeling like they should desert the other person, but that they should take a chance on the other person. This is the sort of card I'd expect for a person who has always been afraid of committment finally deciding to ask the other person to marry them. It's scary and dark out there, and there's only the light of the moon to follow....

And yet. That journey must be taken. The familiar and comfortable must be left behind.

On a very small scale...this is the person who, all their life, has always eaten at the same neighborhood restaurant and ordered pretty much the same thing, day in and day out. Something they love and which comforts them...the same old things. And you ask them to try something new and they won't....until one day they *finally* agree to go with you--not merely across town, but to a whole new country to eat a whole different and new cuisine.

Feeling like you should give up the comfort zone and take a chance, a real, scary but important chance...that's not necessarily a bad feeling.

Grizabella

No, not having used the person. I mean, seeing the person as having been an experience with a relationship they don't want to repeat. Or having the immediate gut feeling that that's what a relationship with this person would turn into. For instance, haven't you ever met a guy and immediately he reminded you of a relationship you've had before and wouldn't want to go there again? Or haven't you ever left a relationship and felt like you'd never want to experience something like that again? Or dated someone and suddenly you've realized that going further with the relationship would take you into a situation like one you've experienced before and don't want to again?

AJ

This was my card of the day today. Not being in a spread but based on what I feel the card has to say to me on the day I draw it, this was what I wrote.

Daily Draw: Santa Fe Tarot ~ 8 of Water

A continuation of yesterday's advice, the Yei is trapped, her medicine bag is tipped over and her water jugs are empty. Time to try a new path or make a new plan, the current one is flawed.

I'm reminded by this card that brick walls are usually a figment of our imagination, to use some creative brain power, put some Wellie in it lad as Wallace would say to Grommit, and sidestep the brick wall by changing direction. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy by our refusal to change.

franniee

Thirteen said:
I think you and Franniee might be looking at it the wrong way. Why do you think the person is feeling like they ought to *walk away* from something dissatisfying, rather than *walk towards* something new and different?

This is a card about leaving your comfort zone for something new and important that is drawing you, calling to you. It doesn't mean that the old disappoints or has failed you, or that you don't love it still. Just that the moon calls...and you have to take a chance on what it has to offer.

So the person may not be feeling like they should desert the other person, but that they should take a chance on the other person. This is the sort of card I'd expect for a person who has always been afraid of committment finally deciding to ask the other person to marry them. It's scary and dark out there, and there's only the light of the moon to follow....

And yet. That journey must be taken. The familiar and comfortable must be left behind.

On a very small scale...this is the person who, all their life, has always eaten at the same neighborhood restaurant and ordered pretty much the same thing, day in and day out. Something they love and which comforts them...the same old things. And you ask them to try something new and they won't....until one day they *finally* agree to go with you--not merely across town, but to a whole new country to eat a whole different and new cuisine.

Feeling like you should give up the comfort zone and take a chance, a real, scary but important chance...that's not necessarily a bad feeling.

I am seeing it from a mythic tarot perspective and in that deck the 8 of cups is psyche and she has been told she needs to do all sorts of things to prove her love to eros - she has been given tasks that are seemingly impossible (7 of cups0 and the last is to enter the underworld - so she resigns herself to go there knowing that she will never return - she has let go of her preconceived notions and she goes knowing that with this she has given her all - she has let it go - she is full of despair but she knows she has done all she could and she doesn't look back..... that is the perspective from which I gave my answer. That is the base perspective from which I see the 8 of cups.

There is a transformation. The person is taking it to a deeper level - down deep. Voluntarily giving up the dream - not waiting for the outcome. Abandonment of the old way. Tears.

All 8s are a death and a rebirth - no doubt - they are a transformation.

In the VR the woman is walking away in sadness as well. I haven't seen it as going to something new with excitement but more leaving something with sadness - but with every ending there is a new beginning. So yes you can say that by walking away she is walking towards something as well....

Yes they could be asking someone to marry them - but in the sense that they are laying it all out on the table and not waiting for a specific outcome - it's more about the person laying it all out and not the recipient of the feelings.

Maybe I didn't articulate it properly before but this is how I view the 8 of cups.

:love: