9 of Swords card scares me. Do you have any positive interpretations?

SpiritualLight

Did a Celtic Cross (in May) to see what summer would bring.
The card for July was 9 of swords. RWS deck.

Now, I need some hopes for this month, because I have 2 important trips booked.
One with my newly widoved mother - we are going to see all our relatives in the northern of Finland and the other trip is to my best friend who lives in the northern of sweden.

I do not suffer from anxiety and I use mindfulness when there is too much thinking or stress involved.

Is it impossible that it's someone elses anxiety/stress involved in 9 of swords?
I am scared of this card, it's always pointing out a complete nightmare. I have no positive experiences from this card at all.

And some people say that all the cards have positive interpretations as well.

Please help me.

Ps. I do not use clarifiers because I'm too novice yet

cbiz83

The swords, representing air, thoughts, and the mind--lend themselves pretty easily to examining things in terms of thought patterns. One of the things the swords suit offers is the understanding that our thoughts directly determine how we experience the world. Coupled with emotions, they are the building blocks of perception. Much like the figure in the 8 being blocked and hindered by thoughts, that energy expands in the 9 to be overwhelmed by unproductive thought-patterns. We go from blocked and hindered in the 8, to fear and anxiety in the nine. What does this offer? The lesson that in July, determining how you view things and what thoughts you'll accept will influence how you experience the month.

On the other hand, it could literally represent the grieving widow that you're travelling with.

LoveLight&Peace

If you don't sleep well when you're away from home, the 9 of swords can be saying exactly that.
For me, I would fully expect to see the 9 of swords turn up in a reading that has to do with travel / being away from home.

Perhaps it could be linked to the communication aspect of the swords - saying that you'll have a lot of late nights visiting with family and friends. Playing catch up, chatting into the wee hours of the morning.

IndigoWaves

[…]
Now, I need some hopes for this month, because I have 2 important trips booked.
One with my newly widoved mother
[…]
SpiritualLight, is it actually your father who recently passed away, or another man that your mother had married later in life? If it's the latter, did you have any significant relationship with him?

russell

If you are not wedded to the pictures in a particular deck, you could look at the fundamental meanings of swords and the number nine (in Neoplatonic fashion - that word seems to bring up mixed feelings around here).

Looking first at the suit, swords are air, the above; likely ideas or communication, possibly the organizational or authoritative aspect of a situation rather than the physical and mechanical.

Nine, as the highest digit, represents completion or fullness, all-encomapssing universality, a 3x3 magic square of all the digits. 3x3 is doubly masculine so expect it to be assertive (this is neither good nor bad in itself).

Free-associate all this with your particular situation. If you are going to meet with relatives it may imply that you are going to have an abundance of communication, as LoveLight&Peace described. Is there some plan that needs to be realized, as in how the family is going to care for your mother? Will there be some bonding and strengthening in the family where there previously was none? And what issues surround the meeting with your best friend? If the card was reversed, or in a negative position in a spread, it could imply falling short of completion, a failure to bring it all together; or perhaps running into a wall of authority, having it oppose or block you.

So no card has to be scary in itself, it all has to do with its context and the situation.

—Russell

SpiritualLight

The lesson that in July, determining how you view things and what thoughts you'll accept will influence how you experience the month.

On the other hand, it could literally represent the grieving widow that you're travelling with.

Thank you cbiz83 for your inputs and the advice. I will take complete responsibility for my thought patterns i July, after I read this. And yes, I believe you are right about my mothers grieving.

If you don't sleep well when you're away from home, the 9 of swords can be saying exactly that.
For me, I would fully expect to see the 9 of swords turn up in a reading that has to do with travel / being away from home.

Perhaps it could be linked to the communication aspect of the swords - saying that you'll have a lot of late nights visiting with family and friends. Playing catch up, chatting into the wee hours of the morning.

Yep, I do not sleep well when away from home. And there will be late nights with my relatives in the northern of finland, the midnight sun is up 24/7 so the sun will gaze and my relatives will talk all night long, in the finish language - and I do not speak it fluently, I only understand it to 70% at its best, so your inputs are very spot on :) Thank you. It's cool that 9 of swords could be linked to not speak a language fluently - feeling a little bit "eureka" !

SpiritualLight, is it actually your father who recently passed away, or another man that your mother had married later in life? If it's the latter, did you have any significant relationship with him?

Yes, it was my father. They were together for 40 years. He dissapeared into his heart disease when I was 5 so our relationship was a little bit distant (it got better when I got older, we had contact and did stuff together). Thank you for asking this questions, I never would had linked them to 9 of swords by myself :)

If you are going to meet with relatives it may imply that you are going to have an abundance of communication, as LoveLight&Peace described.

Yes, my relatives in the northern of finland talks alot, and I really mean ALOT. The chatter is like 24/7 and everybody got temperament and humor. The also speak in finish which is a language I don't understand completely.

Is there some plan that needs to be realized, as in how the family is going to care for your mother?

Good question. My mother has always been the one who takes care of everybody.

Will there be some bonding and strengthening in the family where there previously was none?

Very good question. July will tell. Could 9 of swords be linked to this question?

And what issues surround the meeting with your best friend?

Interesting! She actually is in a 9 of swords situation. (sorry can't tell about what but it really is about 9oS!)

If the card was reversed, or in a negative position in a spread, it could imply falling short of completion, a failure to bring it all together; or perhaps running into a wall of authority, having it oppose or block you.

Not reversed but I will keep in mind that acceptance will be my key in July. Thank you.

So no card has to be scary in itself, it all has to do with its context and the situation.

That's so true - thanks to your and everybodys inputs on the 9 of Swords I now can see the nuances of it. Less sleep, communication, communication problems due to different languages and other peoples sorrows that become something that can influence ones readings I will write down everyones inputs in my journal - it's wonderful when it matches this good to my own context.

ana luisa

It is usually a card of stress and unfounded anguish but it also comes to warn about pretty concrete and not so scary circumstances. A mattress that feels uncomfortable and won't let you sleep, migraines, or even evil thoughts against someone (in some decks).

Dercetius

Pretty simply facing the truth, being aware and prepared for the worst.

SpiritualLight

It is usually a card of stress and unfounded anguish but it also comes to warn about pretty concrete and not so scary circumstances. A mattress that feels uncomfortable and won't let you sleep, migraines, or even evil thoughts against someone (in some decks).

Could be. My mother is going to the Bank of Finland and she's scared that she won't get out her money since my father died. I don't believe that could happend but my mother is not that sure since they changed some rules that I don't understand.
I will sleep on a couch.
I don't have evil thought against anybody and I don't think that I will suffer from someone having that against me, not for a whole month. People think that I am very kind, usually.

Pretty simply facing the truth, being aware and prepared for the worst.

Well, July will tell or should I say that the 9 of swords told me already? :)

IndigoWaves

Yes, it was my father. They were together for 40 years. He dissapeared into his heart disease when I was 5 so our relationship was a little bit distant (it got better when I got older, we had contact and did stuff together). Thank you for asking this questions, I never would had linked them to 9 of swords by myself :)
One reason that I asked was because of your choice of wording ('widowed mother' but no 'father'), which seemed an effort at distancing from him, underlining difficulties in that relationship... But the passing of a parent, even one that wasn't "close" or was a negative influence, always has some effect of loss on a child, even if it's mourning a positive relationship that was needed yet never happened. So I suspect that the Nine of Swords shows you being "hit", perhaps unexpectedly, by a grief-related mental upset along these lines in July (particularly if such hasn't yet happened since his passing). Just an impression. Take care.