A common front against copyright infringement

cirom

This is a sort of open letter to all tarot artists.

The issue of copyright infringement has been discusses on several other threads, but I believe it warrants yet another, and one that is also a call to action.

In the past I have had several run ins with this issue, as I'm sure many of you have also. From use of your images on the internet without permission to extreme cases where an entire set of images were reproduced and a pirated copy of the deck resulted.

In my personal case, I usually turn a blind eye to it although I normally contact the person behind it and point out the situation and giving them the benefit of the doubt. I simply request that they at least include my name and a link to my site. If they respond in an appropriate manner, I have often even provided better images. On very few occasions have I actually insisted that the images be removed, in one case because it was offering a commercial service and was a corporate site as opposed to an individual, and on another because the images were being offered for further download... and not even with my name.

Which brings me to my point. Recently there have been instances of products being offered on e-bay, namely sets of CDs with images of various decks, including mine and more than likely several others members here. Not only was my permission not given (or even requested), the CDs are being obviously offered for sale, and with enticing suggestions for their use, such as "print out your own copies, even sell them". That is plainly well over the top and represents a dangerous direction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/17-500-TAROT-CA...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...em=350046696063

I have contacted two sellers offering variations on the theme, and I'm waiting for confirmation that my two decks will be removed from the disks as they promised. Nevertheless I am assuming that they won't have been and have started at least to prepare for that likelihood. I will be sending a fax to e-bay later today requesting that the items in question be removed in their entirety. But its seems that the documents they accept for these requests must be from the copyright holder in order for them to act. So I cannot complain about the item as a whole, but merely my particular images, a small percentage of the total.
I have also informed Llewellyn of the situation. I'm assuming they will act accordingly, even without any additional prompting from.

Nevertheless, what is'nt clear is wether the sellers of these CDs are one and the same as the producers, or simply passing on the goods on behalf of others who spend their time compiling these libraries of images, (not just tarot cards btw). Either way there seems to be an increasing number of such collections available and this is the dangerous trend I was referring to. Are they all the same people simply using different seller identities or just a new trend in general?

I recommend we join forces if we are to combat this. If we keep an eye out for each other, inform each other of new infringements as they occur, and almost by default send the correposnding complaints to e-bay or whoever, then while we may not resolve the problem each and every time, we might least let it gradually become less attractive and cost effective for these sellers. If they know that they will almost surely reported and removed form e-bay it might make a difference.

If e-bay receive a prompt deluge of complaints from us as a group, to every instance we come across, hopefully they will respond more swiftyly ???? and ultimately it will at least make these sellers think twice.

In additions to any other ideas or opinions you may have, I'm suggesting that all interested parties PM me and each other, so that we can keep a list of each others e-mails, be ready to keep each other informed and as required act in unison.

Ciro.

EarthFaery

I saw those listings your talking about last week and wondered the same thing about the copyrights, it's very fishy! I wonder though, if they will actually take the image off the CD or just the listing. Hopefully e-bay will handle it appropriately! Good luck!

memries

The sites you listed above do not have available access now on my computer.

baba-prague

The potential penalties for copyright infringement in cases in which the person concerned has been informed of the illegality and still carries on are actually substantial.

The issue is, as Ciro says, that it's important to inform each person doing this. Once they have been informed then if they persist they can be sued. As I say, the amounts involved are not trivial so most people with any sense will not take this risk for the sake of selling CDs on ebay at $5 each (or whatever those CDs cost).

I must say that it seems to me as though information from Aeclectic was used in some way. Many of the decks in question are not mass market decks and some are not widely known at all outside AT. I'm sure Solandia and the team here is as appalled as everyone else.

Elven

As I posted two links in another thread relating to this same topic, I see that there are many members of Aecletic Tarot Forum who are part of this, especially in relation to 2 Community Tarot Decks (I am aware of Project #3 being one of them).

Some of the decks mentioned from the list have not even had their commercial debue, and they are being offered on these 'discs' and I find that completely wrong.

Im not sure of this, but as a suggestion, possibly a creators watermark be placed somewhere on new designs and cards which are being showcased and posted on these threads. I know this is not what some people prefer to do, but to try and erase 78 watermarks for a pirated deck maybe a deterent to those contemplated selling your copyrighted work.

Another issue would be to pressure the domain which is allowing the transactions such as ebay.

baba-prague

Elven said:
Im not sure of this, but as a suggestion, possibly a creators watermark be placed somewhere on new designs and cards which are being showcased and posted on these threads. I know this is not what some people prefer to do, but to try and erase 78 watermarks for a pirated deck maybe a deterent to those contemplated selling your copyrighted work..

I agree with this Elven, but the problem is that once a deck is published, the cards can be scanned. Okay, it's likely that they won't be very good scans, but people who do this sort of thing rarely worry about quality.

Elven

baba_prague said:
I agree with this Elven, but the problem is that once a deck is published, the cards can be scanned. Okay, it's likely that they won't be very good scans, but people who do this sort of thing rarely worry about quality.
Yes, true indeed *sigh*.

cirom ..
I was wondering if everyone had been notified (or pm'd) about the deck titles on the list - Im sure there would be more support if people knew that their deck was on these CD's. There maybe more collective support with the issue. Some people havent been here for a while ... and wouldn't know ...

Cheers baba and cirom
Elven x

avalonian

I'm not a Tarot artist (wish I had that talent) but I am shocked at how anyone can think it is acceptable to steal images like this. On scrolling down the page on EBAY I find the suggestion " if you have any issues let me know, don't leave it!!"

Should we form a queue??

Debra

It's someone who is on AT and reading these boards.

Within 20 minutes of cirom posting the new link, the auction was stopped by the seller. The slide show of cards has been removed. Also, the wording of the item has been changed and now there's nothing about printing out the cards or selling them.

This person sells other cd compilations http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZglamourpuss15

Here's what the auction says now, for the record, as of April 14, 2008:

============
100+ TAROT CARD DECKS on photo CD === 8000 + cards ===
Item number: 350046696063

Bidding has ended for this item

You are bidding on a...

TAROT

Picture compilation CD

with over 100 DECKS.

includes over 8000 cards in the collection.

When you win this CD you can expect to receive a well organized compilation of images divided into folders of Art and Novelty; Fantasy and Classic; ready for your enjoyment and to spur your imagination.

The slide show below is a fraction of the images on the CD

The Cd comes in a slim line jewel case.

Please let me know if you have any questions before you bid.

ATTENTION! ATTENTION! ATTENTION! I will be on vacation from March 14th until March 30th; Any questions or payments will be taken care of upon my return. Thank you for your business.

- I happily accept PayPal and I also accept Money Orders, and checks. I will ship right away for PayPal and Money Orders. Checks may delay shipping for 7 business days until they clear.

- Buyer to pay shipping charges according to the calculator for USPS first class mail or Media Mail or by air for international winners. Optional insurance is $1.35 extra, and is recommended. PLEASE PAY ATTENTION. I CAN NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE USPS DAMAGING PRODUCTS! Sorry to sound so stern, but I do package carefully and label the products fragile. INSURANCE IS RECOMMENDED!

-Payment is expected within 7 days; to be assured of positive feedback; if you have any issues let me know, don't leave it!!

THANK-YOU FOR LOOKING AND HAPPY BIDDING