A 'deep' dark deck?..

Metafizzypop

I find the Crow's Magick to be deeply dark and darkly deep. It's kinda weird in it's way -- not the easiest thing to read with. But it's very shamanic. It reaches a deep part of my mind.

dancing_moon

Thanks, Metafizzypop! Crow's Magick looks really dark and strange - I can imagine it isn't the easiest thing to be reading with it. I'll certainly give it a thought!

dancing_moon

Well, thanks to Le_Fanu, I'm now a happy owner of the Etteilla Grand Jeu de l'Oracle des Dames, aka the Book of Thoth Tarot. :rolleyes: :party: Thanks a lot! :heart:

I'm not sure my search is completed just yet, though. I'd love to hear more thoughts and experiences whenever you, guys, have them. Thanks everyone!

Padma

I find the Crow's Magick to be deeply dark and darkly deep. It's kinda weird in it's way -- not the easiest thing to read with. But it's very shamanic. It reaches a deep part of my mind.

I'm going to have to check that one out. I have seen it a few times and ignored the temptation - it very much sounds like my kind of deck! Thanks for mentioning it, Metafizz :)

Dancing_Moon, lucky you to have received such a gift! :love:

momentarylight

Hello everyone :)

I've been looking for 'my' dark deck for a while now, but most decks I look at seem kind of 'shallow' to me, focusing too much on very straightforward 'dark' attributes like blood, fangs, cemeteries, and demons. What I'm looking for is a serious, perhaps Gothic deck, which explores and implies the dark sides of human psyche, rather than the lore of vampires, fallen angels and the like.

I'll appreciate you not only listing your favorite 'deep' dark decks, but also writing a little (or a lot! :D) about how they answer different questions and what makes them 'deep' for you.

Thanks everyone! :heart:

As someone else said What is dark to one person may be humorous to another . The question of darkness is quite subjective.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/sweet-twilight/

This one fits the dark category for me: Tarot of the Sweet Twilight. It is quite surreal. THere is an awful loneliness in this deck.

Aerin said that for her the deck was reminiscent of adolescent angst. I thought about that a lot but irejected it as a possible reason for my ambivalence.

The figures seem to have a robotic and somewhat stilted nature and they live in a kind of burned terrain. There is not one blue sky and not a tuft of green grass as far as I can see.

Despite the colours, the world of Sweet Twilight is barren, the place of nightmares. I have not been able to read with it without feeling slightly ill.

Having said that, the art work is quite suburb. I can see why people are drawn to the deck. I have retained it, no doubt because it may have something to teach me :)

dancing_moon

Dancing_Moon, lucky you to have received such a gift! :love:

Just to make it absolutely clear - it was a gift of attracting my attention to the deck, but I bought it myself. :D

As someone else said What is dark to one person may be humorous to another . The question of darkness is quite subjective.

I can't agree more. :) Actually, looking at the pictures of the Sweet Twilight - they make me 'ill' too, that's exactly the word.

No one seems to have mentioned the Mary El tarot. This deck isn't exactly dark, at least I don't think it is, but it's deep and sometimes scary. The pictures really speak to me, but I have had customers in the store where I work say that the pictures are both disturbing and creepy.

http://www.mary-el.com/majorarcana.html

How about this one?

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/ghosts-and-spirits/

The Mary El Tarot looks very powerful, in a scary way if your heart isn't broad enough to contain so much life. I might consider it a bit later in my life - I don't think I can contain that much just yet. Thanks for mentioning it, anyway, it's recorded somewhere on the subconscious now. :)

The Ghosts and Spirits do have a beautiful art, like Aerin mentioned, - but are they really readable?