A General Reading Spread?

Albedo

Astraea Aurora said:
Albedo, thanks for providing your spread. I like it's simplicity. :thumbsup:

I still have a question. You said you stop when there are 12 cards dealt. 12 cards only from Minors or 12 in total (including Majors)?

Astraea Aurora :grin:

Stop pulling cards when you have 12 Minor cards showing...

Astraea Aurora

Albedo said:
Stop pulling cards when you have 12 Minor cards showing...

Ah, thank you Albedo. :thumbsup:

Astraea Aurora :grin:

Albedo

OK...this is an example because I've read my explanations and forgot words where needed like 'suit' and Minor'.

I pulled this spread for Barack Obama, the new president of United States. I used 15 cards.

First, the order I pulled and explanations where each goes..then the spread illustrated..then how I would read it.

1. Page cups...first suit, so it goes on top of the Present column.
2. Knight swords...new suit, so it is placed below the page cups in the Present column
3. 3 wands...again, new suit, so it is placed below the knight swords in the Present column
4. King wand...wands are already in the Present column, so this is placed to the left of the 3 wands (recent past)
5. Knight pentacles...new suit, placed below 3 wands in the Present column
6. Star...a Major set aside to be placed under the next suit card
7. 3 cups...cups are already in the Present column, this is the second cups drawn so it goes to the left of the page cups..its place is recent past (the Star card is placed underneath this card)
8. Justice...another Major...placed to the side to wait for a suit
9. Ace swords...second sword pulled, it goes to the left of knight swords in the recent past spot (Justice is placed underneath this one)
10. 7 wands...the wands Present and recent past have been filled so this wand card goes to near future(the right of 3 wands)
11. 6 cups...the cups Present and recent past have been filled so this cup card goes to near future(the right of page cups)
12. Judgment...placed aside to wait for next suit card (though 12 cards have been pulled, the spread isn't finished until 12 minors are showing)
13. 4 swords...the sword Present, recent past have been filled, so this card goes to the right of the knight swords (near future)..Judgment goes underneath this card
14. King swords...the sword Present, recent past and near future have been filled, so this card goes to the left of the ace swords..farther past
15. 4 pentacles...goes to the left of knight pentacles in the spot of recent past

Illustration: for cards with major influence, the major is underneath as such: minor/major

(far past)......(recent past)...........(present).........(near future)........(far f)
...................3 cups/star..............page cups........6 cups
kg srds.........ace srds/justice.......knt srds...........4 srds/judgment
...................king wands..............3 wands...........7 wands
.......................4 pents................knt pents

So right off, I see the sword suit has more to it than the other suit...makes sense since Obama is an eloquent speaker and has strong beliefs.
Yet the top row is his baseline...that from which all else is derived...cups..his heart is truly in this that he undertakes..like a turn on...potent yet innocent
from the past, he has support(3cups/star), mentors(kg swords) and fairness and direction(ace swords/justice)
toward the future he will come across bribery and cajoling to test his innocence or conviction(6 cups) but hopefully he will stand his ground and use his best judgment (7 wands-4swords)

So, I look to the past to see what needs to be carried into the future.........good gosh, I hope this explains the spread right.

doodlebee

Wow. I know I'm coming in late on this train, but I wanted to share my experience with this spread. It does look a lot harder than it is, I think, when you actually do it. What I did was pull cards until I reached my limit of 12 minors. You wouldn't not *believe* how many majors I pulled. If I got a Major, I placed the next minor I pulled on top of it. It's really funny how it turned out though - in my reading I pulled Cups for my head, and Swords for my heart. Interesting, in a funny way.

I want to share my reading, if you all don't mind, and maybe someone else might have insight as well that I, as a novice reader, didn't see.

Row one: head (what I think)

Immediate Past: 3 of cups, reversed. I took to mean how I've never had time for friendship - been too busy for it, to enjoy the company of others, etc.

Present: Knight of Cups with Death, reversed as its base. I'm rarin' to go with a journey, I'm all ready with passion in my heart and a head full of imagination of what's to come. The reversed card beneath means to me "emerging from death," or coming out of darkness. Which IS what I think I'm doing right now.

No future, which kind of fits, because at the moment, it's all up in the air.

Row Two: the heart (how I feel)

Immediate Past: Six of Swords, reversed. Felling like I'm stuck, paddling upriver, needing something to change because all I'm doing is wearing myself out with what seems to be going in the wrong direction.

Present: Four of Swords with the Star, reversed and the High Priestess as the base. Four of swords meaning rest and recuperation, which is based on my "muse": inspiration and desire for what's coming about, as well as being unfocused as to where I'm going.

Again, no future.

Row three: the gut (my intentions, what I want to do)

Past: Knight of Wands. Standing at the ready - just waiting to get moving, ready to do it.

Immediate Past: Ace of Wands. Doin' it, and doin' it well!

Present: Eight of Wands with Temperance as a base. Projecting what I want, starting something new and waiting to see how it'll go, hoping for the best. Temperance showing that this new shot is in hopes of achieving balance in my life.

Immediate Future: King of Wands with the Moon as a base. Taking risks and being creative, and taking full responsibility for what I'm doing, and realizing that I want more.

Distant Future: Four of Wands - tells me I will achieve the balance I am looking for, and perhaps the success I want, and *my* definition of it.

Row Four: the legs (actions I'm actually taking)

Immediate Past: 5 of Pentacles, reversed, a card (and position) I see as "being lucky."

Present: Two of Pentacles, reversed. Dealing with a tricky situation, unexpected turns and twists that I didn't forsee.

Immediate Future: Nine of Pentacles, reversed - which looks to me like I'm going to fall back on my old habits of being overworked, which would defeat the purpose of what this is referring to.

As a back-reference - this thing is right on, I think. I've been running my own business for 8 years, from a home office (because I'm raising two young children too). I've recently - as in last week - gone on sabbatical for a year to revamp my working methods. I was working 7 days a week, 16-20 hour days. My health, as well as my family life, was being affected. All of the above holds true - and this reading is just amazing. it's telling me to navigate carefully (which is what I'm doing), but I especially see that I need to pay attention to the "old habits die hard" effect, and make sure I don't slide back into the things I've been doing the last 8 years.

I think this puppy's going to be a favorite for me. Thanks muchly for it!

tsukifune

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I just gave this spread a try and had FOUR majors appear after the 11th minor...so I just lay all four underneath the 12th minor when it finally came up. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do when this happens? I didn't want to discard so many majors...

I also want to add that I think this spread is great for the Transparent Tarot, because you can actually see any underlying majors. :)

patr1c1a

The same thing happened to me. I had 3 majors in a row and then a minor. I thought I'd leave all the majors below that minor, but it turns a bit confusing.
How would you read this?