A self-laminating question. Anyone have experience?

romanticdreamz

I've been going through the forum and took a look at the major laminating thread and wanted to ask if anyone has gone for the self laminating option?

The trouble is that I don't have much money at all at the moment but am considering doing a tarot deck of my own as a pet project. Nothing too fancy but using B&W photos/pictures on black card. Self-laminating is one of the cheapest options I can currently find.

I plan to leave some space between the edges and the card so how much peeling could occur? Anyone have experience in this?

cardlady22

I have not read the thread you are referring to, but I have made small decks of all sorts of cards. (for personal use)

I use a GBC DocuSeal 40 with business-card or ID-badge (no precut slot) sleeves. (100 per pack for about $17-20) So far I have not come across any problems. I pay attention as each card comes through and put it back through if the edge appears cloudy. (meaning it wasn't quite done)

For larger things like letter-sized or poster-sized, I take it to a local chain store (OfficeMax) that has the huge sheet roll.

I tried a couple of the self-laminating letter-size sheets that do not use heat, but it takes too much time and worry for me.

Chronata

I have done both Hot and Cold style lamination for cards for personal use.

The hot lamination is a little thicker, and nice if you want a card that is solid. Decent if you are laminating a two sided piece of cardstock, but not quite as good if you are laminating two pieces together . I usually cut to the edge, and a lot of rifle shuffling will eventually wear, and the lamination will come loose.

I don't know about leaving an edge...I have never done it because I don't like that look.

I also have used cold lamination (Xyron machine), which I prefer. The lamination isn't as thick, it's matte finished, and it sticks to the card, so it doesn't have the chance of coming off quite as easily.

gregory

I wish I could find affordable cold pouches for mine - but I find hot lamination with no edges works OK.

romanticdreamz

Thanks for the replies.

I should have clarified as well... I also meant the self-laminating cards that you don't heat up or cool down. Ie.: You put it in and it seals itself. (I find I can about 100 for £10 and then I'm ready to go!)

I hate being on a budget but it may be a good start...

gregory

Tell me about these, she said with interest.....

romanticdreamz

The sleeves come in different sizes. You open the sleeve up, peel off the backing, place the card inside then seal it and it's done. (Almost like glued edges.)

I've seen them before and they seem to work fairly well but wanted to know if anyone here has used them and what the long term usage may be.

I've found some on Ebay, if you search for "self laminating cards" and you can see some pictures of them.

blue_fusion

romanticdreamz said:
Thanks for the replies.

I should have clarified as well... I also meant the self-laminating cards that you don't heat up or cool down. Ie.: You put it in and it seals itself. (I find I can about 100 for £10 and then I'm ready to go!)

I hate being on a budget but it may be a good start...

You know, we have these at home. My dad used to work in the chemical department of a photography-related company decades ago, so he has all sorts of odd things related to it. The ones we have even have textured surfaces (like alligator skin, I think). When I was trying out self-publishing, I asked him if I could use them, he said that they're not as strong sticking to the paper as actual lamination. Then again, these sheets were made made ages ago, so perhaps the products they make now are more durable.

Edited to add that the ones we have aren't pouches, though. They're just sheets.