Ace of cups. Rider/Waite

catboxer

I wouldn't even want to guess why Waite said there were four streams when Colman-Smith's image clearly shows five. I've given up trying to figure out how Mr. Waite's complicated mind worked. Just unscrambling his writing is hard enough.

I do know that I love this picture. It's one of Colman-Smith's most striking and graceful images.

And it's certainly the Grail, but even more it's the eucharistic chalice. The symbolism the artist adds to the traditional image makes that unmistakable. As such, it represents the simple idea of God's love, and love in general.

The model Colman-Smith drew from, the Ace of the various Marseille decks, also clearly showed a communion chalice, though it was very plain and lacked the additional symbols she included, the dove, wafer, streams, the dew drops, and the hand of the deity.

There have been only a few exceptions to this depiction over the centuries. The Visconti-Sforza Ace of Cups, for instance, shows a fountain instead.

But the Marseille (and Colman-Smith) pictures draw on images from all the way back to the beginning of cards in Europe, and share the basic iconography of the earliest known European example of this picture, from the Italy 2 Moorish deck of playing cards, possibly made before 1400 and certainly before the advent of tarot cards. You can see them at the excellent site "Andy's Playing Cards" (http://it.geocities.com/a_pollett/cards77.htm). Scroll down and you'll see a very simplified Ace, with a semi-circle decorated with straight lines at the bottom of the cup. This part of the image was carried over into the Marseille decks, making this lovely Ace one of the more timeless icons of the Rider-Waite.

When it comes to interpretation, I like to keep the possible meanings as simple and elastic as possible. In the case of this card, I generally see it as the desire for love, or the beginnings of a new love. The subject who draws this card is searching for love, and that implies a person whose heart is open and vulnerable enough to accept love. If God is love, the concepts behind this card are close to God.

Colman-Smith has here taken a simple image with deep historical roots and elaborated and completed it with great skill, imparting to the finished product a meaning no one could possibly miss.

tarotlyn

Ace of Cups...your cup "runneth over"

catboxer said:
"....As such, it represents the simple idea of God's love, and love in general..."

and: "... I generally see it as the desire for love, or the beginnings of a new love."
Catboxer...that is a great way to read this card!
It is like your "cup runneth over" with blessings and love from The Eternal Light of God.

Regarding "new love"...
On a more mundane level, in the case where the person is already married or committed,
the Ace of Cups could just indicate new happiness and that their cup runneth over,
or they they will feel a sense of new well being and happiness .
:heart:

BodhiSeed

Just found this in Philip Comm-Garr's book "Druid Mysteries" and wondered if there was any connection to the five streams of the Ace of Cups:

"In the story of the Well of Segais from Ireland, for example, we learn of King Cormac, who loses his wife and children to a mysterious warrior who spirits them away to the Otherworld. Cormac gives chase with an army, but a mist descends. He is separated from his troops, and he finds himself alone by a well. Around it grow nine hazel trees, and swimming in its deep waters are five large salmon who feed on the hazelnuts. Five streams representing the five senses flow from the well, which is also described as a fountain or pool. The mysterious warrior reappears and reveals himself as the god of the sea, Manannan, who reunites Cormac with his wife and children. He then explains that the wise drink from each of the five streams and the central pool - suggesting an approach to wisdom that represents the essence of Druidry as a sensuous spirituality that seeks wisdom and nourishment from the still centre of Spirit deep within and through each of our five senses."

Bodhran
http://www.learntarot.com/bigjpgs/cups01.jpg

Abrac

bodhran that's incredible. The upside down "M" might then be a veiled reference to Manannan. Totally awesome.

There are also suggestions of Druidic influence in The Hanged Man.

BodhiSeed

Abrac said:
There are also suggestions of Druidic influence in The Hanged Man.
Okay Abrac, don't leave me "hanging." :D Do tell more!

Bodhran

Abrac

lol...well, since you ask. ;)

In The Secret Teachings of All Ages, Manly P. Hall writes:

"There are three distinct forms of the cross. The first is called the TAU (more correctly TAV). It closely resembles the modern letter T, consisting of a horizontal bar resting on a vertical column, the two arms being of equal length. An oak tree cut off some feet above the ground and its upper part laid across the lower in this form was the symbol of the Druid god Hu."

BodhiSeed

Thank you Abrac... Another mystery to ponder!

Just googled the Druid god Hu and came up with this:

from The Flaming Door: Mission of the Celtic Fold Soul by Eleanor C. Merry, 1936

"And that which came to meet the soul (as light and sound come to meet our outer eyes and ears) was called HU, the spiritual world." (p. 137)

"The God HU was the all-ruling Divinity of Western Celtic mythology. He represented the power and the glory of the spiritual world." (p. 153)

"The Mysteries of HU revealed the other pole of human life: the ascent out of the body into the 'glorified' state of expansion of the consciousness in the spiritual world." (p. 153)

"And HU could bring music to the consciousness of waking man and teach it to him, because he himself could hear in sleep the harmonies of the spheres, and his passage from waking to sleeping to waking was unbroken by any obliteration of consciousness. This was always the summit of initiation experience." (p. 165)

The crowned one

Abrac said:
bodhran that's incredible. The upside down "M" might then be a veiled reference to Manannan. Totally awesome.

All Aces are the purest aspects of the respective suites cups relationship with water means pure emotional energy. Another thing about Aces is we are often not yet in the picture as we have to be open to the potential energy the card represents...

I often thought the "W" was a vanity of Waite's, that is all. LOL

Still more seriously: In the Sefer Yetzirah, the letter "M" : Mem : is "King over Water" but it is rarely used. Mass come to mind too.

Abrac

The crowned one said:
I often thought the "W" was a vanity of Waite's, that is all. LOL
lol...I do believe you are probably right on an exoteric level, but someone (I believe it was Rosanne) pointed out that calligraphically it is an upside down "M." When you compare it with other PCS Ws and Ms, it is indeed an upside down "M."

This makes me wonder what other mysteries a thorough study of Druidism would reveal about the Waite/Smith deck.

Elven

These following list of aphorisms are Waites, taken from his book Steps to the Crown which was published the same year as the deck (I think) - I love em - especially the last one - it speaks to me of something of the nature of his Ace of Cups - Im not sure if it is printed in these words elsewhere though ...

"Love is the desire of the unknown, which is equivalent to saying that Isis ceases to fascinate so soon as her mysteries are unveiled; for this reason love is prudently directed only to those objects in which there is always a heart of concealment"

"The secret of eternal life is that of love, and the secret of love is to live in others, both with them and for them."

"Love is the interfusion of the temporal and the eternal."

"We are nearest to the secret of love when we have only it's eyes to look at."

"In the order of perfect love, the sense of time is absence, and presence is the sense of eternity"

"Love has brought us into life, and it is love also that withdraws us into the wider lives which are beyond it."

"The draughts of bitterness found in earthly love may at length lead to our salvation"

"The Cup of bitterness ceases to exist for him who has drunk from the challice of immortality".

I see these in the Ace of Cups.

Blessings Elven x