Am I the only minimalist here?

BrownBear

I can't remember when I first started reading tarot, but it's well over 10 years now, and for most of that time I had only one deck. I've just purchased my second deck earlier this year.

Am I the only person who thinks that two decks is plenty? I am a minimalist in most areas of my life and just can't see myself collecting decks.

*** mods ••• I meant to put this in the talking tarot forum. Please move.

Libra289

I can't remember when I first started reading tarot, but it's well over 10 years now, and for most of that time I had only one deck. I've just purchased my second deck earlier this year.

Am I the only person who thinks that two decks is plenty? I am a minimalist in most areas of my life and just can't see myself collecting decks.

Nope, I have 3 decks which I feel is more than enough ... having multiple tarot decks just helps broaden our understanding of the cards and their imagery :)

ravynangel

deleted :)

Apollonia

I probably have 200 decks that I purchased during my "I have to find the perfect deck," phase. For years I offered my querents their choice between two decks, but I now read with a single deck, the Universal Waite. It suits me and when I think back to the old time fortune tellers, I'm sure they did just fine with their one well worn deck.

scorpiogirl

I started out like you. Had the Rider-Waite for years. Because I didn't have enough money to buy more decks. I was very comfortable with my first deck and now I have more than ten decks. :).

nisaba

<grin> For years I thought one deck was enough, Then two. Then three or four.

It's like friendships. You can get by in life with only one friend. Then five feels like more then enough. And suddenly there are sixty people you're deeply fond of. :)

VGimlet

I had one deck for 29 years. I was perfectly happy with it.

Even though I am no longer a minimalist, I can see the appeal.

Grizabella

I have fewer decks than I used to but I'm still blessed with quite a few I have left and I wouldn't want to part with any one of them. Since I live in such a small space now, I sometimes think maybe I should just narrow down to only one or two or three but I just can't do it. I'm a minimalist but only when it comes to beads, cards, books and some art supplies. I can do without everything else, but not those basic things.

BrownBear

I probably have 200 decks that I purchased during my "I have to find the perfect deck," phase. For years I offered my querents their choice between two decks, but I now read with a single deck, the Universal Waite. It suits me and when I think back to the old time fortune tellers, I'm sure they did just fine with their one well worn deck.
This is close to how I feel about it. I can see myself easily getting wrapped up in the search for the " perfect " deck.

But it would lead to more confusion for me, I would find myself looking through each deck, maybe using it once or twice, and never really connecting with one deck on a deep level because I use it exclusively.

I am not crazy about the universal waite, but since it is the deck I started reading with I know it better than any other and it really gets good readings for me. So I stick with it. Sometimes less is more.

GotH

I own 5 decks. Each time I get a new one, I say it's the best one ever. :) And so I'm in no hurry to get more because of that feeling. I just don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.