Another eBay Copyright issue?

MysticalMoose

well it is possible to report the item & give reasons for doing so with the link at the bottom of the page....whether or not it does any good is another matter but I figured worth a try...:rolleyes:

As for them not knowing the ins & outs? lol ...;) I think the phrase is "ignorance is inadequate defence!" Grrr People making a quick quid or two out of other peoples hard work makes my blood boil....Parasites!!!! :mad:

baba-prague

karenquilter said:
As I understand it (and I am not a lawyer), you have to defend your copyright yourself. The copyright registration gives you more legal firepower, but you have to engage a lawyer & file a motion to cease & desist in a court of law with your own money.

Small publishers find it expensive to vigorously protect their copyrights, and if you are selective in whom you go after, the court is less likely to rule in your favor.
K

Because of various court rulings against ebay recently (which have involved huge fines for selling fakes), it is actually very responsive these days. No lawyers needed! I find we just have to write and explain that items are infringing our copyright, with our website addresses, and they close down the auctions at once. This is a great improvement on how it used to be.

I think all reports are very helpful - and I'm really grateful to anyone who spots these sort of infringements and reports them - or lets the artist know. It does make a difference.

Sulis

I've just reported both, I think this is outrageous.

And I'm sorry but 'not knowing about copyright' is no excuse.. If you want to make money out of something that isn't yours to make money out of you should find out about these things.

GreenMoonBeam

Very good job. I do not think that whoever produced these CDs would be
unaware of the origin of these decks.

Sulis

I emailed the sellers to let them know that they are selling copyrighted material without permission.

The seller of the disk with 200 decks (the first link) has responded with this:

ebay seller said:
These are viewable images which I have purchased from anothe tarot enthusiast and was not aware of any royalty issues involved-I assume these would be for pleasurable viewing as much as people have art discs of Modern art-do we have to ask Jackson Pollock or others if it is ok to print out his work? Also at the bottom of my master Tarot disc-it says:}}quote=='All copywrights and trademarks are acknowledged on the disc'..unquote..Hope this explains it better.

The second seller has responded with an 'OK thanks' and the item has been withdrawn.

gregory

I've emailed the rude one too. And told them I am notifying e-bay.

blackroseivy

GO GREG!!

I am appalled.

& here I have seen elsewhere that artwork does not get stolen - that is, uncopyrighted material. I would be VERY careful as to what I post & how, ANYWHERE on the web...

gregory

This isn't quite in the same class. The images on these CDs are (I bet) the ones that used to circulate among Orphalese users; you couldn't print a decent deck from them.... (I THINK.... Someone here bought one of the last batch, to see... I must try find out who it was...)

But yes, they still shouldn't be sold.

blackroseivy

Yeah - I was curious about that whole Orpahlese thingie, I have yet to pay my $25 to see what's actually there...

Hooked on TdM

Considering this guy has it posted so that you can print out these decks, I reported him too. :)

Some people amaze me.

Hooked

P.S. What is Orpahlese?