Another Reader's Vs Your Interpretation

EmpyreanKnight

One day out of the blue you decided to consult a competent reader who drew a set of cards for you. He interpreted the spread in a certain way which you agree is acceptable and does cover the cards' other meanings, but which is rather different from the way you yourself would be inclined to read them. Would you give more credence to his interpretation, or would you choose to still be respectful about it while believing your own analysis of the cards?

CrystalSeas

I'd believe his reading.

If you believe that the cards are answering the question you posed, then that 'answer' is designed to be interpreted by the person reading.

It's not designed to be interpreted by anyone else, which is one of the reasons you cannot discuss readings done by someone else in the Your Readings section of AT.

The cards are speaking to the reader and are meant to trigger the appropriate responses in their mind. Have you ever seen a bunch of readers read on the same question here at AT? The cards are all over the place, but the readings tend to converge.

That's because each reader draws the cards that allows them to give the correct answer. The cards I need for that may be quite different from the cards you need for that.

euripides

Oh that's a rather tricky one. Contrary to CrystalSeas, I'd tend to prioritize my view of the cards over the reader's, but then, I'd have to ask myself why I was going to them. I think there's a reason you need to hear what they have to say.

It's funny - sometimes a bit of distance helps. I can look at someone else's cards and straight away go 'oh, this means this......' but look at my own cards and be totally stumped. I find the 'Your Readings' advice really useful for getting past my own tunnel vision.

Grizabella

I'd believe his reading.

If you believe that the cards are answering the question you posed, then that 'answer' is designed to be interpreted by the person reading.

It's not designed to be interpreted by anyone else, which is one of the reasons you cannot discuss readings done by someone else in the Your Readings section of AT.

The cards are speaking to the reader and are meant to trigger the appropriate responses in their mind. Have you ever seen a bunch of readers read on the same question here at AT? The cards are all over the place, but the readings tend to converge.

That's because each reader draws the cards that allows them to give the correct answer. The cards I need for that may be quite different from the cards you need for that.

I totally agree with this. The cards speak to each of us differently.

Alta

If I felt confidence in the reader as the reading went along, i.e. that I didn't think they were reciting book meanings or bluffing, I would respect the other reader. The times that I have had readings from others I try to keep my mind in neutral and fully accept their thoughts. I might mentally modify it afterwards but in the moment, whether reading or hearing, I try to fully accept the other reader's thoughts and impressions.

gregory

I'd believe his reading.

I agree. A reader will draw the cards that s/he will interpret using his/her skills - the right cards for THAT READER. Another reader drawing cards for the same question would pull different cards simply because they are not the same reader.

The only time I wouldn't run with this would be if the reader was clearly winging it.

I really must set up that experiment we did again, where we all read for the same person, and the same question, using our own decks, spreads and methods. We all got different cards and pretty much the same message. But I can't find it (it may have been on another forum,now closed down) so when I have some spare time I will set one up here.

Disa

If I felt confidence in the reader as the reading went along, i.e. that I didn't think they were reciting book meanings or bluffing, I would respect the other reader. The times that I have had readings from others I try to keep my mind in neutral and fully accept their thoughts. I might mentally modify it afterwards but in the moment, whether reading or hearing, I try to fully accept the other reader's thoughts and impressions.

Entirely this. I must feel the reader is competent before I just hand it all over to them. Trust your vibes, but really why go to another reader if you aren't going to listen to them and let them do the reading?

LeFou

Hmm, maybe wait and see what happens -- wouldn't that be the definitive answer?

EmpyreanKnight

I guess I agree with the general trend here, that the cards a reader picks up are arranged to conform to his very own interpretations (and no one else's), and thus provide him with the right answers. I should just give him the respect and trust to take his word for it if I believe him to be good at his trade. But I there'd always be this little voice that would contrast his answer to mine and see where it goes.

Hmm, maybe wait and see what happens -- wouldn't that be the definitive answer?

Lol I think I'm gonna conduct a mini-experiment of my own and see which one prevails. I like the experiment CrystalSeas and Gregory noted, and if I get a bunch of reader friends we'll try to replicate this. I personally know only one though, so that is not a wide enough sample for me but who knows right? I might meet a coven of them in a party somewhere.

Thanks to everyone who replied! It put things in perspective.

nisaba

One day out of the blue you decided to consult a competent reader who drew a set of cards for you. He interpreted the spread in a certain way which you agree is acceptable and does cover the cards' other meanings, but which is rather different from the way you yourself would be inclined to read them. Would you give more credence to his interpretation, or would you choose to still be respectful about it while believing your own analysis of the cards?

He is the one doing the reading, not you. And his decks are used to working with his meanings, not yours.

If you want to use your meanings and disregard anyone else, why did you have the reading in the first place? So respect his right to read his own way. It would be pretty offensive if a client of yours told you that you were wrong and explained how they understood the cards.