Any opinions on Printers? Best One? Stay away from?

karen0205

I've got to get a new printer and I will eventually print my cards on it. I was wondering what opinions anyone had on printers. I've had an Epson and Cannon and wouldn't buy either one of those again for any special graphics or photo printing. Neither did a good job. Too many horizontal or vertical lines. I don't want to have to mess with it all the time in order to get a good print job. Any opinions would be great!

Karen

krysia322

Ah, see... And I came in here to recommend my Epson. I've used nothing but Epson printers in the last decade, and haven't yet had any problems with either print quality or hardware issues.

But... Nevermind. LOL.

fairyhedgehog

I don't know for professional printing but our HP printer is all that we need. We had an Epson (bad!) and we've got an antique HP laserjet black and white that is still working after countless years.

Briar Rose

Stay away from Lexmark. In the office I had to return the printer and get another (always a Lexmark) and there was always problems.

Several months ago I searched for a printer.

Dell requires you buy their ink directly from them.

I bought the HP-PSC 2335v all in one from Walmart, on line. I think I paid around two, two-fifty. I pulled up Best Buys, Staples, Walmart...some others in my area and compared what I could afford.

If I had to buy one all over again, I'd get one with a fax (just to have it).

Also, they have on line specials; $50.00 a 2 day or a weekend special, or similiar to that, even free shipping sometimes.

Have a budget of how much you want to spend~ then you'll see your choices from there. After that you won't have as many choices.

I want to let you know that:

Home printers were not meant to do any heavy duty printing, even if it's a one time thing. The ink cartridges heat up the ink like a little microwave.

After I printed out 250 pages one time I noticed a few black dots. When I took the cartidges out, the ink had splattered and was googy. I cleaned a lot of it up. Now when I print 10 pages, sometimes I see a couple of black dots. Not kewl on cover letters, or resumes.

Briar Rose

I wanted to add:

I re-read your post~ you print graphics~

If I was really going to use my printer for pictures I would
1) set a budget
2) compare all stores with the models I could afford for best prices and specials

3) then call the company (like HP, Dell) and get the printer expert on the phone. It's worth your time (even if your spending $200.00) to ask about EXACTLY what graphic capabilites that printer has.

When I wanted to print out 10 smaller pictures instead of 6 on a page (from an Easy Share Kodak program) the Kodak program has it but the HP model printer won't allow it, and more options from the Kodak Easy Share won't show up on my screen (just from having the printer I do). If that makes sense.

The more you spend the more fun you can have with options.

Can't you tell I recently bought a printer???? :smiling:

I wish you all the best. Let me know.
~peace~

Aurora

Sheri

In my humble opinion....

Nothing beats HP for printing. However, you should definitely do research on what printer will best meet your printing needs. After you settle on a couple of models, GO see them locally if you can. I will not buy a printer that I am not able to see actual output from! I did it once with a Canon and will never do it again. The sales people will tell you they are the same, or push to sell what they have...not what is best for you.

We currently have 4 HP printers in the house. We have a CP1700 inkjet that will print anything from business cards size to 13 x 19in banners. We were using an HP 7210 All-In-One as a standalone fax/flatbed copier but I recently connected it to my wireless network so I could print to it from my downstairs office. I was a little apprehensive about using an all-in-one (jack of all trades master of none fears), but this one is fantastic. What is really amazing about the new printers is that several of them don't have to be connected to computers to work.

In the end, in my opinion, the most important thing you can do is see it in action in person before you buy it. If the sales people don't have it hooked up - see it somewhere else or go to another model. You want to see how fast and how nice the graphics are in person.

Good luck in your quest! :D

valeria

.traveller.

I have both an HP and an Epson Photo. The overall print quality seems to be more consistent with the HP, particularily with the lower res images. The Epson photo has better/truer color than the HP, but requires high res images to really perform well. The deficiencies in the lower res images really show up with the Epson. The Epson is also much slower than the HP. I use them both, mainly because the Epson is also a scanner (300dpi).

Netzach

I recently bought an Epson . . . big mistake. I also have an HP which is an excellent machine. My husband has an HP scanner which is first rate - much better than the scanner on my all-in-one new Epson.

For my money, HP is always the best. (When I was working in hospital, the best ECG machines were always HP, too.)

SilverClaw

I don't know for professional printing but our HP printer is all that we need.

That is what I was going to say to I have had the HP publsihing printer that was used for our magazine and now we have a 3in1 (printer, copier and scanner) and I have had no problems printing my cards or graphics on it, however the only thing is the 3in1 only does small sizes unlike the Hp publsihing printers.

goddesscarlie

I was going to recommend Canon :) But I have also heard great things about Brother printers. Genearally with printers the bigger the price the better quality prints. :)