Are there any specifically lesbian decks?

Alta

A woman in the Ottawa group (not a member here) was wondering if there were any specifically lesbian decks. I suggested Motherpeace a bit tentatively and was thinking that a Goddess-based deck could work. I was going to take the Universal Goddess to the meeting this Thursday for her to see.

Any other thoughts? I ran out of ideas rather quickly. I am aware that many tarot decks are female-centred just in a general way, but this request seemed pretty specific to me.

Alta

nisaba

Generally speaking, decks that brand themselves as "women's decks", "feminist decks" and "womyn's decks" are euphemistic and might satisfy your friend.

I remember looking at scans months ago on the TG website of a black and white deck, no greys, modern rather naive artwork, lots of curves and angles, which tended to feature women relating to women, especially in that all-important Lovers Card. Dammit if I can't remember what it was called!

I know what to do.

<shouts> GREGORY!

Wendywu

Thea's Tarot is totally female based and I love it. Ironwing has no males at all but that doesn't hurt the energy at all. Daughters of the Moon is totally female focussed, as is Motherpeace which you mentioned. What about Tarot of the Crone, or even Songs for the Journey Home? Silver Era is woman only. I don't think any of these decks are actually designated as lesbian though, but they are definitely female-centric (is that a word).

If there is a specifically lesbian deck I'd be interested to know which it is.

Wendywu

nisaba said:
Generally speaking, decks that brand themselves as "women's decks", "feminist decks" and "womyn's decks" are euphemistic and might satisfy your friend.

I remember looking at scans months ago on the TG website of a black and white deck, no greys, modern rather naive artwork, lots of curves and angles, which tended to feature women relating to women, especially in that all-important Lovers Card. Dammit if I can't remember what it was called!

I know what to do.

<shouts> GREGORY!

I think you might be meaning Thea's Tarot. I'll have to nip upstairs and check the Lovers card.....

nisaba

Wendywu said:
I think you might be meaning Thea's Tarot. I'll have to nip upstairs and check the Lovers card.....
<goes away and has a look>

<strains long-term memory>

No-o-o, I'm not sure, but I don't think that's it. did you make it upstairs? Any time in the next nine hours - I'm off to bed, soon.

ETA: There are (mostly regrettable) individual acts of lesbianism in the erotic decks I own: Greatly outnumbered by the straights and then by the gay males, the lesbian sex in the Decameron is basically male-fantasy-stuff, whilst the lesbian images in the Manara are just plain *nasty* <winces>. I'm going to have to pull out my Tarot Erotica again: the images that appeal to me as a lesbian (as opposed to me as a Tarotista) tend to be solo thingies like the Star for instance.

When I'm in certain moods the Decameron can break me out in a sweat, but it is very far from what I would call a lesbian deck.

Sulis

nisaba said:

I know what to do.

<shouts> GREGORY!
I think you're talking about Thea's Tarot too...
Lovely deck: http://www.tarotgarden.com/boutique/images/theascards.gif

BodhiSeed

gregory

I suspect Thea's too, OR - the Amazon ? With many photo cards and a few landscape oriented ones ? though there are greys. Daughters of the Moon - yes, but your description of the artwork doesn't feel right to me....

There are a few scans of the Amazon on tarotgarden.... Very HTF now, though.

Wendywu

OK - Dug out the Thea's - definitely two women on the Lovers. When himself has finished doing whatever he's doing, I'll grab his pc (which is attached to the scanner) and scan the Lovers card.

ETA - Here it is :)

Attachments

• IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 3,219

hunter

It's a real shame the Thea is out of print. I managed to get a nice copy from the author and feel very lucky.

Of all the women's deck's I've tried, the Thea seems the most lesbian to me.

Also take a look at the Vanessa Tarot.

I didn't like the round decks and gave them away.