Astrology-related novels & fiction

MareSaturni

Hi!

I don't know if this is the right palce to post this but... I'd like to ask if any of you know any novels or fiction books that are related to astrology, or in which astrology plays an important role. I know there are a thousand of books like this about tarot, but I was curious if there is any literature based on astrology.

I fyou know any, can you recommend it to me, please?

Thank you so much! :)

Minderwiz

That's a cracker of a question!!

There's lots of astrological symbolism in plays, and stories going back to Hellenistic times, such as Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, Dante's Inferno, and in the plays of Shakespeare. Such symbolism was readily understood by the audiences and readers as Astrology was much more dominant in mainstream life, But I'm sure those aren't what you are looking for.

There's a series for 'young adults' called Zodiac Chillers, which you can find on Amazon.

If you're a Harry Potter fan, you can do a search for Astrology references in the books as there's some evidence that J K Rowling actually did some natal charting for others

http://www.astrology.co.uk/news/jkrowlingastrology.htm

There's a book called the Tokyo Zodiac Murders by Soji Shimada

I'm sure there must be more than that.

I don't know whether you want to include films but I've a good idea that the Magnificent Seven characters were loosely based on the classic seven planets.

Barleywine

Well, despite the fact that many well-respected astrology texts showed up on the list when I googled "astrological fiction," I did find "The Astrological Diary of God" by Bo Fowler, which is supposed to be "in the Kurt Vonnegut tradition." A read of the brief synopsis shows it to be absurdist and a bit vulgar. I might like it! :D

MareSaturni

There's lots of astrological symbolism in plays, and stories going back to Hellenistic times, such as Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, Dante's Inferno, and in the plays of Shakespeare. Such symbolism was readily understood by the audiences and readers as Astrology was much more dominant in mainstream life, But I'm sure those aren't what you are looking for.

Well, I think it wouldn't hurt to check on those! ;)
I'd like to see a novel with astrology ingrained into the plot not just quickly mentioned.

There's a series for 'young adults' called Zodiac Chillers, which you can find on Amazon.

Interesting! Apparently the entire series is OOP, so I'll look on eBay! Thank you!
I like Young Adult books, specially if they are well-written. (I'm 23, guess I qualify as a young adult?)

If you're a Harry Potter fan, you can do a search for Astrology references in the books as there's some evidence that J K Rowling actually did some natal charting for others

http://www.astrology.co.uk/news/jkrowlingastrology.htm

I LOVE Harry Potter! I did not know that Rowling meddled with astrology! Thank you for this link! :heart:

Well, despite the fact that many well-respected astrology texts showed up on the list when I googled "astrological fiction," I did find "The Astrological Diary of God" by Bo Fowler, which is supposed to be "in the Kurt Vonnegut tradition." A read of the brief synopsis shows it to be absurdist and a bit vulgar. I might like it! :D

:bugeyed:

I like Kurt Vonnegurt! I think I may like this one too.
But if you read it first, please do post a review! :laugh:

Apparenly Liz Greene, a fairly known astrologer, wrote a novel called The Puppet Master. It's a book that has disappeared from the market (or so it seems), but apparently it is "filled with Astrological reference" (according to the ONE review I found of it).

I know it has been translated to portuguse. I'll certainly look for it.
Has anyone else read it?

Everybody is writing about vampires nowadays - how come nobody explored the astrology niche yet!? :p

Barleywine

Everybody is writing about vampires nowadays - how come nobody explored the astrology niche yet!? :p

Because astrology doesn't suck? })

jaj

...how come nobody explored the astrology niche yet!? :p
Yeah, I was thinking about that. Maybe because astrology is very analytical and math-oriented? So maybe astrologers make better technical writers than novelists?

MareSaturni

Because astrology doesn't suck? })

LOL! An even better reason - we have to keep the sucky literature from taking over! :laugh:

Yeah, I was thinking about that. Maybe because astrology is very analytical and math-oriented? So maybe astrologers make better technical writers than novelists?

Yes, that's what I think. Although I think that a good astrologer - with some storytelling talent - could really make the astrological phenomena entwine with the story somehow. It would certainly be very interesting!

jaj

...a good astrologer - with some storytelling talent - could really make the astrological phenomena entwine with the story somehow. It would certainly be very interesting!
Yes, it would have to be a good astrologer. A good story with bad astrology would be like the screech of fingernails on blackboard.

Barleywine

I don't know that they ever did, but certain science fiction writers with a mythological bent would have made a good go at it. I'm thinking Harlan Ellison, Roger Zelazny, Piers Anthony. And Terry Pratchett would have great fun with it; he's already taken on Santa Claus, witches, vampires, zombies, Death and postmen . . . come to think of it, looks like he's already done tarot (it might be at the expense of "good" astrology though :)). Unfortunately, Douglas Adams is gone . . .

Minderwiz

I don't know that they ever did, but certain science fiction writers with a mythological bent would have made a good go at it. I'm thinking Harlan Ellison, Roger Zelazny, Piers Anthony. And Terry Pratchett would have great fun with it; he's already taken on Santa Claus, witches, vampires, zombies, Death and postmen . . . come to think of it, looks like he's already done tarot (it might be at the expense of "good" astrology though :)). Unfortunately, Douglas Adams is gone . . .

The nearest Terry Pratchett has got is the 'Discworld Almanak: The Year of The Prawn' which is written as a parody of the various astrological almanacs so beloved of Astrologers since the
Seventeenth Century.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Discworld-A...r_1_68?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1313508780&sr=1-68