AT Comparative Study - B - Ace of Swords

contrascarpe

Epees- Schwerter - Espadas - Spade - Swords.

The 1st card of the Suit of Swords.

Keywords - Air, mind/intellect, sharp ideas, mind awakening for new challenges, strong love or hate, worry, intellect receiving too much/too little attention, mental force, fortitude, justice, truth.

Decks covered so far:
Aquarian Tarot
Tarot of the Animal Lords
Buckland Romani
Tarot of the Cat People
Celtic Dragon
Egyptian Tarot
DaVinci Tarot
Tarot Erotica
Fantastical
Tarocco Fantastico
Fey Tarot
Gill Tarot
Goddess Tarot
Golden Tarot
Gothic Tarot
Tarot of the Journey to the Orient
Tarot of the Master
Tarot of Mermaids
Morgan-Greer
New Palladini
Secret
Swietlistej Drogi
Universal RWS
Victoria Regina x 2
Vision Quest
Witchy Tarot

Links to other discussions:
Buckland Romani
Cosmic Tarot
Crystal Tarot
Gothic Tarot
Marseille vs. RWS
Tarot of the Old Path
Phantasmagoric Theater
RWS
Rohrig
Sacred Circle
Thoth
Wheel of Change
World Spirit

contrascarpe

Universal RWS

Symbolism and imagery - A hand emerges from a cloud brandishing a sword. A jewelled crown hovers around its tip. From the crown emerges the life force of two vines, one laden with berries. Six nods (three on each side) are present above the hilt. The landscape below is mountainous and rocky.

Comparisons/contrasts with other decks - intentionally left blank - will edit later.

Initial reactions to symbolism/meanings - Most of us are familiar with the RWS imagery. The sword symbolizing the double-edge of intellect. Aces are beginnings - there is a sense of life growing from this sword.

September Pixie

Celtic Dragon Tarot

Symbolism & Imagery:
3 mountains on fire (possibly volcano's) and a sword between them among the fire.. 4 newly hatched baby dragons with 3 other eggs waiting to open..

Comparisons: (Robin Wood) A sword intertwined with 2 vines.. one solid green the other with white roses.. sword is high in the sky.. Looks nothing like the Celtic Dragon tarot.

Initial Reactions: Swords indicating trouble.. possibly burning away the past to make room for something new. Fire indicating action already in motion?

From The Book: You are in the process of making decisions that will effect your life for some time. A new period or cycle of much activity is imminent. Beware of activity without thought.

galadrial

Tarocco Fantastico

Symbolism & Imagery

There is a calm body of water in the background. In the foreground there is brown earth or perhaps cement. Part of this surface looks as though it has been mowed, or worn away, leaving a perfect cream colored circle. Within the circle is a white glove, such as a gentleman might wear. The single, downward thrust sword has "electric" type "energy" drawn around it- as in how a Marvel artist would make a Superhero look like he had energy crackling around him. The Sword pierces the glove and blood is oozing out of the "wound". There are also cracks in the ground starting from where the point of Sword enters the ground and extending out. Out of one of the cracks sprouts a green vine that is already flowering.

Comparison

Other than having a single sword in the center and no human figures, it seems different than any other Ace of Swords I've seen. It does compare somewhat to the RWS Two of Swords, in that this could be the same backdrop sea, only still instead of turbulent.

Initial Reactions

The booklet for this deck is in Italian, so I am on my own. It seems very much an out with the established and outmoded and in with something vigorous and thriving. This changeover seems to be fairly nontraumatic. The calm sea and the extreme energy of the sword itself, ie: resistance seems futile and the limp glove doesn't even have a hand in it to offer any, indicate this to me.

Book

A book called "The Complete Book of Tarot", by Juliet Sharman-Burke, though based on the RWS, has a meaning for this card that seems to reflect this imagery: "...The Ace of Swords is a card of strength in adversity, and often indicates that out of evil something good will come. A situation that looks bleak can surprisingly turn out to be extremely promising. A sense of inevitable change comes with this card, 'the old order changeth'.

September Pixie

Victoria Regina Tarot

Symbolism & Imagery:
Large hand holding a gun straight up with the barrel resting on the palm... behind the hand appears to be an iron gate

Comparisons: (Robin Wood) A sword intertwined with 2 vines.. one solid green, the other with white roses.. sword is high in the sky..

Initial Reactions:
Holding problems in the palm of your hand.. possibly meaning that you make your own problems? Irresponsible actions.. Since there is no color.. there is not much else I can gather from this card..

From The Book:
The arrival or development of a new idea is represented by the Ace of Swords. We may get new insight into a problem that we've been dealing with. We may find a new challenge in our path. Often with a new idea comes new responsibility, and even power. We need to keep an even keel. One good idea does not mean we've become a supergenious for life.

Final Thoughts:
I think this is one of the cards in the deck that I would need more color or more symbolism to draw more insight to.

lunalafey

Fantastical

Imagery & symbolism
The setting is a green field, in the background to the right is a modest castle. A sword stands at it's tip in a small mound of earth. A vine of what could be 'heavenly blue' morning glory grows up the blade. The swords handle is a dragon that clings to the hilt.

Impressions
I see the castle as representing the self and the sword is what one stands for. It is like a marker of where this castles lands begin. The Morning glory is directly connected to the mind, for it's seeds are mildly mind altering. The dragon has a definate 'do not cross {me} expression.
The way the handle and hilt are designed, they are claw looking things, that this sword could be enchanted, cross the boundry and the swords turns from a small dragon handle to a giant beast with a serious message.

LWB: victories, conquests, strength, honor, power, impulsiveness, resolution, bravery, success, intelligence, battles, the unexpected. (lol- one would not expect a sword turn into a dragon)

comparitive- Like most decks, a single sword is the main focus of the image. On the flip side, rather than floating in the air, this sword is stuck in the ground.

Moonbow

Swietlistej Drogi

Symbolism and Imagery

A man in glasses stands in front of a backboard like he is giving a lesson. He holds a cane to point at the board, like he's a teacher or lecturer. There's a drawing on the board of a line graph showing peaks and troughs. The man and board are surrounded by an arbour of two potted climbing plants.

Comparisons/contrasts

This is a unique deck in it's imagery but it does seem to follow the suit and numerology method for some of the cards (like Marseilles). This card clearly shows intelligence, potential, mental clarity, formulation of ideas and descisive power of the Ace of Swords following the suit.

Initial reactions

I can immediately relate to the meaning of the card, there are a couple of potted plants which almost join above the man showing the growth and potential of the Ace, and the blackboard/lecturing aspect of the card shows intelligence, learning, conquest and challenge of the suit. Great card.

Polish book - I would love to know some of the artist's ideas for this deck but it is still very enjoyable to use despite this.

Melvis

Leonardo Da Vinci

DESCRIPTION: (Pictured here in the bottom row.)
A caped man on a rearing horse plunges a ridiculously long spear into the heart of a dinosaur-like beast. The beast lays on its back on the ground, not yet dead, still baring its teeth at its attacker. The horse also seems to want to get into the act, it's neck arched and head turned back as if trying to aim its hooves at the beast. In the background are whitish, craggy mountains. The single sword symbolizing the Ace is placed horizontally above the scene.

SYMBOLISM:
I have to admit I'm having trouble with this one. I don't really get the idea of, well, 'a new idea' from this card, but I do see turbulence here. What will follow this killing? Is the man saving a town from a beastial menace? Is he about to face the wrath of this beast's mother? There are consequences to acting so boldly, and maybe the overly long spear symbolizes the long chain(s) of events that may have started from this one action. The young man's cape and sash are blowing rather wildly in the wind, reminding me of the 'airyness' of this suit.

COMPARISON:
Rather unlike any other Ace of Swords I can remember, as most of them (and most of those already discussed here) seem to focus on the single sword itself.

LWB:
"Energy. Physical or intellectual dynamism. Victory after a bitter fight." The card seems to make sense in terms of this meaning, but this is unlike most other Aces I've seen. Interesting! :D

Peace,

Melvis
:TSTRE

galadrial

Re: Leonardo Da Vinci

What an interesting depiction. I'm thinking that the Western dragon (like Tolkien's Smaug) personifies some of the most negative traits of the Cup and Pentacle suits. The image you describe is like "sword suit to the rescue", a sudden burst of insight and valor that allows one to cut down the monster that too much cup and pentacle energy can produce.

September Pixie

Read with Tarot Erotica (lori walls)

Symbolism & Imagery:
fiery pit.. looks like what you would imagine hell to look like.. a naked man who's hair is on fire is squatting on a large sword and is holding a sword and staring at it..

Comparisons: (Robin Wood) A sword intertwined with 2 vines.. one solid green, the other with white roses.. sword is high in the sky..

Initial Reactions:
Fire meaning action or destruction.. I don't know if I could look at this card and see "new possibilities" but possibly rising above problems as the sword throne is above most of the fire..

From The Book: Ambition
The Ace of Swords probably doesn't know it yet, but this aggressive young man is destined to be a warrior in some occupation, perhaps as a doctor or lawyer. He believes himself to be reasonable, but can be more righteous than rational. He cannot understand why he is never widely popular as he would like to be.

Upright:
A great desire for power, pleasure or possessions seizes the seeker. If this card is marking a birth, then the child has great expectations. If this card is marking a significant encounter the seeker had, she may expect trouble from the partner, who may be under social pressure.

Reverse:
The seeker feels a negative ambition, as for revenge. It will ultimately bring disastrous results.

Preemptory:
This card indicates the strength available - and necessary - to impress your own will upon the universe. This will have inevitable results that should be considered first. Beware what you wish for.

Final Thoughts:
I honestly, have a hard time using this book with the traditional way of reading tarot.. I would STRONGLY not advise this deck for beginners unless you have trouble identifying with the Waite & Wood decks.. but all and all, I see this card as a rise above past problems..