Beginner seeks wisdom from community: >

zuni_wcwq

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the aeclectic tarot community. This is my first post, so hello (mad wave and nervy-spazms) and I have a question.
I've heard wonderful things about Rachel Pollack's work, most notably 78 degrees of wisdom. I also know of her 2008 Tarot Wisdom. (which has the loveliest cover.)
I haven't read either, and am relatively new to tarot. I have 21 ways from Mary K Greer (just got it today--> awfully excited.)
I wonder, however, if it is a good idea to read both 78 degrees and tarot wisdom. As in, is tarot wisdom=78 degrees+more insight, or are they very different?
I'm hoping someone will help me figure this one out since I'd really like to dip (more like dive actually) into the Pollack knowledge pool by leaping into either both, or one of the above.
I'm pretty short on the monies, so if tarot wisdom contains some degree of the 78, I'd get tarot wisdom and start the absorption process! Advice please!

Gratefully,
Z

Chanel

Hello and welcome!! :) Nice to meet you :)

I have both books and I'd have to say.. I think they are different. 21 Ways to read a tarot card will help conjure up your own intuition. I think in the end, this is extremely important for reading, so you can learn to connect with the cards in your own way, and in a way that allows you to journey into the card.

However, when you get a chance, you'll want to get 78 degrees of wisdom. She goes a bit more indepth into understanding the symbolism imo. If you ever get a chance, let me recommend that you get Rachel Pollack's Tarot and the Tree of Life. I thoroughly enjoyed that one, but if you had to pick between the two.. I think I'd go with 78 degrees of wisdom.

Best of Wishes :)

zuni_wcwq

Hey chanel

Helloa Chanel, you have both 78 degrees and tarot wisdom! How awesome is that. Okay, so they're different. That means I've gotta save up! (unless you meant you have both 78 degrees and 21 ways, which means we kinda misunderstood each other...eep.)

Also, thank you for the affirmation on 21 ways, that ups the motivation:> I haven't chanced upon Tarot and the Tree of Life, will do research on that one.

Bridget

Welcome zuni_wcwq! Yay you for jumping right in with your tarot studies - I'm working on 21 Ways myself, and I think it's wonderful. I wish I'd had it when I started.

There have been some interesting posts about the pros and cons of 78 Degrees in the Top Ten Books thread. I think it's a great book, but it is specifically focused on the Rider-Waite-Smith deck. If you're starting with a different deck, you will probably find Tarot Wisdom more useful. It is illustrated with several decks, so the card discussions are less focused on specific imagery from any single deck.

Tarot Wisdom does have *a lot* of information, with many associations and stories drawn from various myths and spiritual traditions. (78 Degrees has that too, but it's shorter.) I love that stuff, but if you don't, or are looking for a simple list of What X Card Means in a Reading to assist you with 21 Ways, you might want to start with a different book and read Tarot Wisdom later on. If you search the forums for recommendations for beginners, you'll find a lot of threads with great suggestions.

zuni_wcwq

To Bridget

Bridget! (says it a couple more times. I really like your name, lots of plosives.)Thank you for the extremely comprehensive answer to my question.

You're right, I'm not with a Rider-Waite-Smith Deck. I went through approx the entire list of tarot decks before I saw one drew me in like a sheet of metal to a magnet. Its the circle of life deck and therefore a challenge to the novice. Do not frown! I understand that most beginners usually start off with a RWS, but I couldn't help it, it was magick at first meet. Although, I will be comparing imagery and stuff to get a feel of the more traditional insight on each card.

Happily, I shall get tarot wisdom and soak it up like a really dehydrated sponge. Very looking forward to the myth and spiritual traditions part, I'm mad about that sort of thing.

You're also right on the bit where I'm foremostly looking for a list of meanings. I'm setting out on the path to a more fluid method of intepretation. Thanks so much again, and
p.s. Zuni will do:>

sapienza

Welcome Zuni. :)

While you are right that many beginners start of with the Waite-Smith deck this isn't necessarily a good thing. I think you've been wise in choosing a deck that you can connect with and it sounds like your approach is a good one. I don't have Tarot Wisdom but I have flicked through someone else's copy. I think it would be a far better choice than 78 Degrees, which I do have and never really found that helpful. I think 78 Degrees is best if you are working with the Waite-Smith deck, otherwise it can just be frustrating. Also, the exercises in '21 Ways' are a great place to get started.

Good luck with your studies, and enjoy.

zuni_wcwq

Very good vibes

To the uniquely and brilliantly named Sapienza: Thank you for the welcome note. I swear, reading the post from you sent a gloriously comforting feeling through my entire circulation system.

To chanel,, bridget and sapienza: I've never met you, but the reassurance and encouragement that you offer means more than you can imagine. I now feel like a vessel of fireflies! Enjoy the tarot education I will (a nod and winky to sapienza). I also have a hunch that this is a process that I will sustain throughout my life. Thank you all and hurrahs.

Alan Ross

I have both 78 Degrees and Wisdom and I can confirm that they are very different books. I addressed this in a post in the "Top Ten essential tarot titles" thread:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=2149568&postcount=108

Google Books has limited previews available for both titles, so you can see for youself which will work best for you. Here is the link for 78 Degrees:

http://books.google.com/books?id=8J...r&dq=rachel+pollack&cd=1#v=onepage&q=&f=false

And Here is the link for Tarot Wisdom:

http://books.google.com/books?id=t3...r&dq=rachel+pollack&cd=2#v=onepage&q=&f=false

As has already been pointed out, 78 Degrees specifically focuses on the Rider Waite Smith deck. Tarot Wisdom is broader in scope, but I believe it's still most useful for decks in the Golden Dawn/Rider Waite/Thoth family (and Marseille decks to a lesser degree). I have the Circle of Life deck, and although I haven't really worked with it, I seem to recall that it's a fairly unconventional deck that deviates quite a bit from the GD/RWS/Thoth standards. If that's the case (I'll check into it when I get a chance to look through the deck), neither book may be ideal. On the other hand, Mary Greer's book is an excellent choice. I don't know if you're aware of this, but there is a study group for '21 Ways' here on AT. You can find it here:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=74465

Alan

AJ

Read everything, or read nothing. Take your stand from the beginning.

Welcome to AT, we gain wisdom from beginners, post often, we enjoy newbies.

minrice

I think it depends on what deck/system you primarily want to learn on. If you want to start with just the Rider Waite or a RW based deck then I would go with 78 degrees of Wisdom and supplement that (or the other way around!) with Greer's 21 ways. 21 ways, brilliant book. I wish I had started with that one actually!

There is a wash of information and it's easy to get bogged down in it all, so I would stick with one system until later!