Bitten by the Lenormand Bug!

andybc

24 - Heart

Hello all! I am trying to take things quite steady with my studies, although there's a massive temptation to dive right in to the world of Lenormand! I also really like the French Cartomancy cards - but tell me please, is there a misprint on the Heart card?

Middy when I was taught the cards meanings, my grandmother and aunt began with actual readings. There was no books and that was when my interest was piqued. I recommend starting with two.

As for the misprint on the Heart card – what do you mean? I attach the image below. If you mean the ‘1’ below the Jack of Hearts it is not a misprint per se but something lo scarabeo added to cover up damage inflicted on the original Dondorf. It personalised the card, in the same sense many 18th century printers did (like in the Tarot de Marseille - look at some of the pips).

Attachments

• 24.png
    24.png
    272.2 KB · Views: 140

Middy1452

Middy when I was taught the cards meanings, my grandmother and aunt began with actual readings. There was no books and that was when my interest was piqued. I recommend starting with two.

As for the misprint on the Heart card – what do you mean? I attach the image below. If you mean the ‘1’ below the Jack of Hearts it is not a misprint per se but something lo scarabeo added to cover up damage inflicted on the original Dondorf. It personalised the card, in the same sense many 18th century printers did (like in the Tarot de Marseille - look at some of the pips).

Hi Andy, so just laying out a couple cards? Do I need to have a question each time or I am just looking for the connection between the cards, any nuances which occur when they're swapped round and so on? And thanks for clearing up the "1", that's really interesting. And here's me thinking it was a misprint - shows my total lack of knowledge on Lenormand!! And never having owned a TdM, I would not have known that, so thank you for sharing it!

Astraea

Hi Middy 1452, and welcome to the wonderfully addictive world of Lenormand!

As Andy says, the 1 above the Heart covers an error. There was a thread about that some time ago; Riccardo (of Lo Scarabeo) discovered that the 1 was originally placed on the card to mark a damaged spot for repair, and then no one remembered to remove the marker when the deck went to print. Here's a link to the thread, if you're interested: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=102433

andybc

Hi Andy, so just laying out a couple cards? Do I need to have a question each time or I am just looking for the connection between the cards, any nuances which occur when they're swapped round and so on? And thanks for clearing up the "1", that's really interesting. And here's me thinking it was a misprint - shows my total lack of knowledge on Lenormand!! And never having owned a TdM, I would not have known that, so thank you for sharing it!

You don't have to ask a question, but sometimes if you were learning 'What do I need to know' might be a bit confusing.

A daily reading - what is significant today etc - can help, as you start to associate trends in your life with the cards. I've used the cards for a while now but only started doing dailys after seeing the thread here. Seeing the cards at that daily 'mundane' level has been quite insightful. So perhaps try that for a week or two?

I personally pay attention to how the images interact - particularly the following:

Cavalier - where's riding towards tends to give an indication on the news, where he's leaving can often be stagnating.

Clouds - the dark and light obviously (some decks like Piatnik and Mystical reverse the dark and light).

Scythe - pointed blade indicates what is going to be 'cut'.

Snake - if before the Fox she'll uncover the deceit/help, if behind it’s a deceitful woman; above/below Fox is rivalry.

Ring – it confirms/binds what’s to the right.

Coffin – what’s to the left tends to be what is ending.

Storks – what is it flying towards?

Look for any blocks i.e. Mountain, Anchor, Tree (in the French Cartomancy the Tree is shown in two seasons, the left is withering… whatever is next to the left side of the tree is in need of watering etc.).

Mice eats whatever it is beside, so a negative card can be lessened just as much as a positive.

The Key says ‘yes’ to anything it’s around, so negative cards can be exacerbated.

Obviously this is just personal. The other readers here will have their own methodology, so please experiment.

I've gone into a little more detail on WordPress but if you're using Sylvie you might want to concentrate on just one system at first.

andybc

Hi Middy 1452, and welcome to the wonderfully addictive world of Lenormand!

As Andy says, the 1 above the Heart covers an error. There was a thread about that some time ago; Riccardo (of Lo Scarabeo) discovered that the 1 was originally placed on the card to mark a damaged spot for repair, and then no one remembered to remove the marker when the deck went to print. Here's a link to the thread, if you're interested: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=102433

Astraea did they ever release it at a later date without the '1'? I'm sure I've seen copies without it but with the old playing inserts?

Astraea

Astraea did they ever release it at a later date without the '1'? I'm sure I've seen copies without it but with the old playing inserts?
Hi Andy. If there has been a French Cartomancy printing without the "1" above the Heart, I am not aware of it. You might be thinking of the Dondorf, which features exactly the same images as the French Cartomancy (but with Blue Owl-size cards). The Dondorf is published by Koenigsfurt; there are two versions of it, one with playing card inserts and one with verses. I have the one with playing card inserts, and there is no "1" on the Heart card in the Dondorf deck. It is available through the excellent online store, esoterikshopping.de.

Andy is in England, but if anyone in the US would like to purchase the Dondorf, Esoterikshopping does ship to the US, although the website doesn't say so - just email them, and they'll get back to you promptly (and they speak excellent English, if you don't speak German). Here's a link (translated by Google): http://translate.google.com/transla.../www.esoterikshopping.de/index.php?cat_id=270. I wasn't able to link directly to the Dondorf, but scroll down to the card section, click the icon, and then scroll down to Dondorf on the next screen that appears.

andybc

Hi Andy. If there has been a French Cartomancy printing without the "1" above the Heart, I am not aware of it. You might be thinking of the Dondorf, which features exactly the same images as the French Cartomancy (but with Blue Owl-size cards). The Dondorf is published by Koenigsfurt; there are two versions of it, one with playing card inserts and one with verses. I have the one with playing card inserts, and there is no "1" on the Heart card in the Dondorf deck. It is available through the excellent online store, esoterikshopping.de.

Andy is in England, but if anyone in the US would like to purchase the Dondorf, Esoterikshopping does ship to the US, although the website doesn't say so - just email them, and they'll get back to you promptly (and they speak excellent English, if you don't speak German). Here's a link (translated by Google): http://translate.google.com/transla.../www.esoterikshopping.de/index.php?cat_id=270. I wasn't able to link directly to the Dondorf, but scroll down to the card section, click the icon, and then scroll down to Dondorf on the next screen that appears.

Thank you. It probably is was the Dondorf. I have the French Cartomancy and Dondorf playing card inserts, but never knew there was a poem one. I've probably seen it and just got confused.

I second Astaea regarding EsoterikShopping. I have used them for my Lenormands now for two years, and have ordered from there for friends in the US. I dont speak German, but can say their English is excellent.

Emily

Also at the moment, Amazon UK have the Blue Owl in. It's the one with English verses.