Bohemian Gothic by Baba Studio: Editions

The Happy Squirrel

Hello everyone,

I have recently purchased a couple of Baba's Bohemian Gothic decks, and began to wonder about the various permutations that the deck has gone through from the first edition to the current 3rd edition.

There was a good video clip / photos comparing two editions (I can't remember where so I could not find it again, and I also forgot which editions they were comparing, I think 2nd and 3rd but I can't be sure). So I started searching the forum and I found this thread:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=194826&highlight=bohemian+gothic&page=59

There is a lot of info there....

But I would like to check with you guys if I get this correctly....

So there are 3 editions

1st ed year.....?

2nd ed, 2010...?
and then there is a revised edition in 2010?
and the 'pewter' edition?
The front of the box of this one shows the image of 'strength'.
There is a momento mori card somewhere?

3rd ed, 2013...?
Mini edition with shimmering backs,
and standard edition
The front of the standard sized box shows the redesigned 'lover'
The front of the mini box shows the image of extra card I think (not sure)?

Thanks in advance for your help...!!!

gregory

First ed - 2007. Extra card - Danse Macabre - packaged with a book, in a "shelf box".
There was also the silver edition that year - with silver highlights.

The 2010 edition (second edition) has the Memento Mori card. The colours are "brighter" - i.e. the images are easier to see :D - and there was no book. One of these 2010 prints had pewter edged cards - that version was limited. (I cannot recall the box on this one, and I am not with my collection just now but I am fairly sure it was a flip top.)

2013 - the third edition which came in both full sized and mini size. This one came in a nice flip top box rather than a tuck box and has an extra lovers card.

http://magic-realist.com/bohemian-gothic-tarot/ might help historically.

http://baba-store.com/collections/bohemian-gothic-tarot shows the third.

The Happy Squirrel

THANKYOUGREGORY!!!

Bluefeet

I used to have a complete Baba collection so here's a timeline for the BG "publishing history"!

First Release - 2007

Standard Edition in two formats: Deck only in tuck box, deck and book set with the cards loosely packaged

Silver Limited Edition set of 500 copies: Signed & numbered deck with metallic silver ink overlay in tuck box, extra Danse Macabre card, with an extra beaded drawstring bag

German Edition: Identical to the standard, German language tuck box, higher chances of getting a Danse Macabre card (due to sorting error)

Second Release - 2010

Standard Edition: Deck only in clam shell box (revised images), extra Memento Mori card

Pewter Special Edition of 1000 copies (Pre-order gratitude, Baba stressed that this is not a LE): Deck only (revised images) with silver gilded edges in clam shell box, extra Memento Mori card

Third (Latest) Release - 2013

Standard Edition: Deck only in clam shell box, extra Lovers card

Mini Special Edition of 1000 copies: Pocket sized cards in clam shell box, extra Lovers card

Bluefeet

Just saw Gregory already posted her version of the timeline :D

The Happy Squirrel

Thank you ES!!!!!!

I do not think I have ever seen the 'silver' overlay 1st ed....

But I have come across the images from the 1st ed.... And, ergh, I am not sure how I feel about some of them, namely the lady in the 'lovers' card looked so stunned it is almost comical. The Queen of Swords in the older (1st and 2nd?) editions does not look as chilled (and therefore less 'icy sharp' to me for some reason). I am assuming the images of the 1st and 2nd ed were not altered too much, other than the lighting?

Here is another useful thread I came across

http://www.tarotforum.net/archive/index.php/t-216618.html

Le Fanu

I am assuming the images of the 1st and 2nd ed were not altered too much, other than the lighting?
No! There were various changes. Not just lighting. The Queen of Wands is completely different in these two editions. I think the Two of Cups is too. There are really quite a few changes. Sort of nerdy to pick them out but there are definitely differences.

Of the reprints, the 3rd is my favourite. But it's a personal thing.

Bluefeet

No! There were various changes. Not just lighting. The Queen of Wands is completely different in these two editions. I think the Two of Cups is too. There are really quite a few changes. Sort of nerdy to pick them out but there are definitely differences.

Of the reprints, the 3rd is my favourite. But it's a personal thing.

To add to that, it's the 2nd and the 3rd editions that mainly have lighting differences. The changes between the 1st and 2nd are quite dramatic. :thumbsup:

The Happy Squirrel

Ah!

I see I see....

OK so all those differences I am spotting are most probably between the 1st and the 2nd.

I am now extremely curious about the so called 'silver limited edition' which came out in the first batch. Someone on YouTube posted his review of the pewter edged deck in 2010 and it looked rather nice :)