Book depository order

violetdaisy

I've only ordered through Amazon & Etsy & Malpuritus (which I can never spell). But, I am aware that some of Amazon's stuff is ordered from other places. Our account is prime but only because J needs stuff "now" when he needs it. He gets all bent when it takes longer than the promised 2 days.

I just watch the wording - is it 2 days from order or 2 days from day of shipping :). The only time I find expedited shipping almost necessary is near the end of the year for the holidays and that's only because everyone (including him) on his side of the family doesn't give me a "wish" list until quite close to Christmas (a holiday I don't even celebrate lol).

I do like it when things arrive in the timeframe they're expected though, and sometimes that includes NOT arriving until the expected time frame because maybe it's a surprise and I've arranged it so that I'm the one to recieve the package.....

olivia1

I really struggle to understand your frustration, but recognize that we all have different triggers and things that upset us and different ways of dealing with it.

My frustration is that my package was damaged and for the life of me, I do not understand how a heavy book could have arrived much faster than a tiny Leno deck. Of course, I could write BD but it's kind of pointless because I don't want to order from them again. Do people routinely receive damaged items? If that wouldn't upset you then more power to you but I just fail to understand how anyone could say I'm the unreasonable one when other companies are able to send packages that arrive in a timely manner, undamaged. Honestly, I don't care to argue because it won't change anything. I'm telling you how I see things since I assume by your post that you want to know why I feel as I do. If i miunderstood then disregard this post.

gregory

I agree to an extent. I can say from experience that it does seem like if you're willing to keep giving and accommodating, customers do get accustomed to it. Customers work for their money though. They deserve to be happy. I work at a Forbes rated establishment. We were named "one of the best resorts in the world" by Forbes Travel Guide and we are super obsessed with perfection. We don't want to be "good enough." we want to be the best. When it comes to our service, we want to be the best overall and that includes being the fastest. So it's hard for me to understand why a company wouldn't strive to be the best in their sector.

If I was the one running BD and I learned that a customer had the experience that I did, I would be appalled and immediately be trying to do damage control. I would want to know why the heck it took so long and why was the package damaged? Was it us? Did usps mess up? If it was usps then I'd look into using ups, etc. of course, BD isn't trying to attract the clientele we are trying to attract, but I'd still care because every unhappy customer I lose is one new customer for someone else. That's just business. If you don't give a customer with options what they want, they'll simply go to someone else that is willing. One customer may not matter. They'll only tell God knows how many people about their bad experience but it might not do much damage. Keep it up and eventually there Wont be any customers.
Have you contacted BD ? They have ALWAYS been totally responsive when I have had any kind of issue (even when I needed to cancel an order after it had been dispatched - normally they say you have to pay postage if there's no actual issue with THEM, but because of the circumstances, they refunded postage as well.) I've never had damaged goods from them, either - whereas I have had from amazon, many times - not to mention grossly excessive packaging - like the box that was literally 2 foot square and 4 inches deep - containing a single, small deck and vast quantities of brown paper :mad:

olivia1

I've only ordered through Amazon & Etsy & Malpuritus (which I can never spell). But, I am aware that some of Amazon's stuff is ordered from other places. Our account is prime but only because J needs stuff "now" when he needs it. He gets all bent when it takes longer than the promised 2 days.

I just watch the wording - is it 2 days from order or 2 days from day of shipping :). The only time I find expedited shipping almost necessary is near the end of the year for the holidays and that's only because everyone (including him) on his side of the family doesn't give me a "wish" list until quite close to Christmas (a holiday I don't even celebrate lol).

I do like it when things arrive in the timeframe they're expected though, and sometimes that includes NOT arriving until the expected time frame because maybe it's a surprise and I've arranged it so that I'm the one to recieve the package.....

Yes, I was just so super excited about these cards. You seem to understand. Honestly, I had no idea that amazon ordered from other places. Thanks for letting me know :) maybe I've always been lucky because regular amazon purchases still arrive relatively quickly for me. I honestly thought going prime simply meant free expedited shipping ( as in they will send it priority versus regular media mail.) I had no idea it might mean they will pull items quicker off the shelf and get it to transport faster. Did I misunderstand?

olivia1

Have you contacted BD ? They have ALWAYS been totally responsive when I have had any kind of issue (even when I needed to cancel an order after it had been dispatched - normally they say you have to pay postage if there's no actual issue with THEM, but because of the circumstances, they refunded postage as well.) I've never had damaged goods from them, either - whereas I have had from amazon, many times - not to mention grossly excessive packaging - like the box that was literally 2 foot square and 4 inches deep - containing a single, small deck and vast quantities of brown paper :mad:

No, I haven't. I figured that since the concensus was that BD packages going to the US take extra time to arrive, I'd just write this off as a learning experience and move on. Though my package wasn't even shipped internationally...BD replacing it wouldn't be enough to get me to order from them again. if I can get an item for the same shipping price from someplace else faster then I don't really see a reason to do BD. I've never received a damage item from amazon ( at least not one that I can remember) but I believe you.

To be honest, I don't like the idea of a company saying they have an item ready to ship then secretly going behind the scenes scrambling to acquire the item to send me ( as others have also suggested). Some say amazon also does this. So from now on, I'll just try to order from indivuals who actually have the item.

gregory

I was more concerned about the damage. They may well want to follow that up.

But yes - amazon, too, often say they have things that aren't actually in stock :( Then in the end you get email saying they will let you know when it is dispatched - and then the wait begins....

Le Fanu

When it comes to our service, we want to be the best overall and that includes being the fastest. So it's hard for me to understand why a company wouldn't strive to be the best in their sector.
I think what's happened as well is that we have let amazon and BD - the real biggies - kill off our local shops and little bookstores and they have won a huge majority of people over to their side. You do that long enough and the small outlets shrivel up and close. Then what happens is exactly what my Dad always says happens in these situations :D you're left with the big ones and you look around and options may not always be so practical.

They can actually do exactly as they want!

olivia1

I think what's happened as well is that we have let amazon and BD - the real biggies - kill off our local shops and little bookstores and they have won a huge majority of people over to their side. You do that long enough and the small outlets shrivel up and close. Then what happens is exactly what my Dad always says happens in these situations :D you're left with the big ones and you look around and options may not always be so practical.

They can actually do exactly as they want!

You both made very valid points. this thread and experience is an eye opener. From now on, I'm going to try to buy decks and books from individuals or small businesses. I feel they'll probably care more about customer experience than the bigger companies do. Plus I don't want big companies to monopolize everything because I think Le Fanu's father is correct. If they close everyone down, they'll get to do whatever they want and customer experience won't matter.

I used to think bigger companies were the better places to buy from because they pay staff to make sure things get done correctly. I also imagined they had a huge wearhouse filled with every item they advertised. Everything discussed here was a surprise to me. I was wrong.

However, i think Gregory is also right. The damaged item should be addressed and It would only be fair to let them be made aware of the situation. I only want to buy from individuals and small stores but maybe one day they'll have something I can't get from anywhere else. I shouldn't write them off over a bad experience that I hadn't even give them a chance to fix. Even if they didn't refund me, I'd honestly just be happy if they apologized and simply tried harder in the future. To be fair, maybe it's the post offices fault the item was damaged.

Amberjune

My frustration is that my package was damaged and for the life of me, I do not understand how a heavy book could have arrived much faster than a tiny Leno deck. Of course, I could write BD but it's kind of pointless because I don't want to order from them again. Do people routinely receive damaged items? If that wouldn't upset you then more power to you but I just fail to understand how anyone could say I'm the unreasonable one when other companies are able to send packages that arrive in a timely manner, undamaged. Honestly, I don't care to argue because it won't change anything. I'm telling you how I see things since I assume by your post that you want to know why I feel as I do. If i miunderstood then disregard this post.

Thank you for your reply.

I have placed dozens of orders at the BD and only once received a damaged deck, due to a printing error and not through BD's fault. They've replaced the deck at no extra cost.

I don't completely understand why you have determined that requesting a replacement is pointless, but be that as it may. I hope you find a provider that is right for you and your needs, just as I have found mine in BD.
Blessings [emoji92]

Lee

From now on, I'm going to try to buy decks and books from individuals or small businesses. I feel they'll probably care more about customer experience than the bigger companies do.
I understand your concerns and generally agree, but there's another side to it as well. Buying from an individual or small business won't guarantee a problem-free transaction either. Of course many individuals and small businesses are great to deal with, but you may also be subject to an individual's whims, instabilities, or lack of ability to follow through on obligations.

So, in my view, you'll have one set of potential problems when dealing with the big companies, and a set of different potential problems dealing with small companies or individuals. Pick your poison! :)