Book of Law Study Group 1.1

Grigori

Aeon418 said:
I thought this thread was going to be an examination and exploration of the actual text and doctrines of Liber Legis, and yet we seem to be hung up on points of origin, authenticity, and Egyptian antiquity.

We do seem to have drifted a long way off track here, and begun to miss the point of this study. Perhaps we should lean back towards discussing how Had is a manifestation of Nuit. Though if everyone is done with that discussion, we can move on to the next line here.

Always Wondering

Abrac said:
Hieroglyphics could be drawn facing either way. The way they are facing tells you the direction they are to be read. If they face left, they are read from left to right and vice versa.

I didn't know this. Very good. I am learning lots.

AW

Yygdrasilian

One Cometh After Him

Aeon418 said:
Which begs the question? Why look to ancient Egypt for the answers? ;)
Why not play the game Aiwass has placed before us? Or was that Crowley?
Is it not a puzzle of symbols and numbers, cloaked in words of 'divine revelation'?
It may be ho-hum, but it seems a critical question in interpreting the work to ask whether or not you choose to take Crowley at his word when he claims to have received it from "....a body of 'fine matter,' transparent as a veil of gauze, or a cloud of incense-smoke."
In either case, invoking the credo of Thelema whilst operating within an idiom of Egyptian mythos, is no small clue to finding the key for this text.

Aeon418 said:
You're trotting it out as if it's some kind of great revelation, but it's old news dude. Crowley already explored that one. Back to those un-read sources again I'm afraid. Ho-hum....
Not some great revelation, perhaps, but one whose nuance has yet to be appreciated in the course of this study.

Grigori

Yygdrasilian said:
Not some great revelation, perhaps, but one whose nuance has yet to be appreciated in the course of this study.

Perhaps you would like to start a thread devoted to this topic Yygdrasilian, rather than diverting this current thread which is intended to be very specific in topic. Or save it for when we get to a related part of the BoL.

Aiwass said:
Had! The manifestation of Nuit

Abrac

Aeon418 said:
Yes, but you're still trying to use Egyptology as a weapon against Thelema. Again, Thelema is NOT Egyptian religion! It merely borrows some of the symbolism and puts it to use in ways that were never intended by the ancient Egyptians.

It's kind of like saying this apple must be a false apple because it's not like this orange.
I get it Aeon418, Thelema is NOT Egyptian religion, I never said it was, lighten up already. If you would have bothered to read my other posts you would know I have no intention whatsoever of trying to discredit Thelema or the BoL.

But what I would like to know though, is why Egyptology is ok when it's "convenient for literary purposes" but not ok when it contains inconvenient facts?

<text removed by moderator>

Aeon418

Abrac said:
But what I would like to know though, is why Egyptology is ok when it's "convenient for literary purposes" but not ok when it contains inconvenient facts?
The "inconvenient facts" you keep banging on about are only inconvenient in the context of Egyptology. They have nothing to do with Thelema. How many times do I have to repeat that Thelema merely borrows the symbolism and uses it for purposes not originally intended by the ancient Egyptians.

Grigori

Moderator Note

Feelings seem to be running a little high at the moment, and we've been off the topic for a page or so. I'm going to close this thread for 24 hours to give us all a chance to calm down, and then after that we can return to discussing how Had is a manifestation of Nuit. Or better yet, move onto a new topic in a new thread.

Thanks everyone
Similia :)

Grigori

Crowley's commentary said:
Nuit is Matter, Hadit is Motion, in their full physical sense.

Reading the commentary by Crowley, I saw this aspect which had not been clear to me before. Hadit representing motion (hence shown as a winged disk, with the power to "go" or move).

cardlady22 said:
I looked up "manifestation" in my synonym finder. The words that jumped out at me are declaration, unveiling, symbol, token.

similia said:
Now! The unveiling of Forever. (my favorite so far)
Here! The expression of Everywhere.
The Particle! The token of the Wave.

This made me think about how motion was a manifestation of matter. The structure of our skeletal system for example, exists to make movement possible.

And in turn how motion unveils matter. Thinking of movie references in another thread, this thought made me remember Jurassic Park, where the dinosaurs are only able to see objects that are moving. Matter, unveiled by motion. I was then thinking about how there is a similar situation with out own sight, the object does't have to move, but the functional parts of our senses do (the pupil expands or contracts, the cornea accomodates, the nerves transmit information etc..) In fact all out interaction with things external to us is based on movement, its not possible to observe anything passively. Activity is required. It's no wonder some of us see a wave and some see a particle. It would seem we have Hadit to thank for that.

Umbrae

similia said:
In fact all out interaction with things external to us is based on movement, its not possible to observe anything passively. Activity is required. It's no wonder some of us see a wave and some see a particle. It would seem we have Hadit to thank for that.

Had = the point

Nuit = everything that encompasses every point

Nuit consumes and births all simultaneously

One can see quantum physics here.

ravenest

similia said:
Feelings seem to be running a little high at the moment, and we've been off the topic for a page or so. I'm going to close this thread for 24 hours to give us all a chance to calm down, and then after that we can return to discussing how Had is a manifestation of Nuit. Or better yet, move onto a new topic in a new thread.

Thanks everyone
Similia :)

Are you guys starting to get a better comprehension of the curse (centres of pestilence) yet ? :laugh: