Bought my First Deck

TarotWoods

So I bought my first deck of Tarot cards via Amazon last night. I decided to go with the Thoth deck because the images really caught my attention more so than some of the other decks that I saw. I was wanting to know how hard is it going to be for someone who has never owned Tarot cards or worked with Tarot cards to get started?

Grigori

I think it is always hard for someone first starting with tarot, to understand the process and how they can use it. The Thoth deck is a certain type of challenge also as it comes with a great deal of occult attachments, though these aren't necessary to use it for readings.

When I was starting with the Thoth I found this a really helpful book. It has a range of meanings, and advice that is more specific to someone who wants to use the Thoth for reading primarily.

If you wanted to get more into the occult background, then I'd suggest this as a good place to get started.

I'd really suggest also working with one card readings. Actually with the Thoth the more I know, the more I prefer a simple one card reading as there is so much information in it. But when first starting I found it good also to have a specific question, pull a card, and spend some time thinking about that specific card in the context of my question.

Welcome to the Thoth forum!

TarotWoods

I think it is always hard for someone first starting with tarot, to understand the process and how they can use it. The Thoth deck is a certain type of challenge also as it comes with a great deal of occult attachments, though these aren't necessary to use it for readings.

When I was starting with the Thoth I found this a really helpful book. It has a range of meanings, and advice that is more specific to someone who wants to use the Thoth for reading primarily.

If you wanted to get more into the occult background, then I'd suggest this as a good place to get started.

I'd really suggest also working with one card readings. Actually with the Thoth the more I know, the more I prefer a simple one card reading as there is so much information in it. But when first starting I found it good also to have a specific question, pull a card, and spend some time thinking about that specific card in the context of my question.

Welcome to the Thoth forum!

Thank you a lot for your advice, so it might be possible for a first time Tarot user to start with this deck then? That makes me feel like I at least didn't waste my money! LOL

Richard

Thank you a lot for your advice, so it might be possible for a first time Tarot user to start with this deck then? That makes me feel like I at least didn't waste my money! LOL
You did NOT waste your money! If you can't connect with the images, get a cheap, used Rider-Waite, which has more familiar illustrations (but whose divinatory meanings do not generally conflict with those of the Thoth), and return to the Thoth when you have gained more familiarity with Tarot.

TarotWoods

You did NOT waste your money! If you can't connect with the images, get a cheap, used Rider-Waite, which has more familiar illustrations (but whose divinatory meanings do not generally conflict with those of the Thoth), and return to the Thoth when you have gained more familiarity with Tarot.

Thank you! I was looking through many different types of decks but the Thoth kept catching my attention so I decided to go with that one, although Rider-Waite was also another choice, but I liked the images more on the Thoth deck.

KariRoad

Thoth is very popular, but keeping it simple may be helpful.

So... Lay out the cards face down, and "read" each one before turning it over.

Also, read the cards face up, and then turn them over, and read them again.

Bhavana

I love the Thoth, though I don't use it much lately. I think it's a great buy, but a challenge as the others said....you can do it, though!

AJ

Every one of us started at zero.
Welcome to the journey!

Abrac

It might be easier for you since you're starting from scratch. Getting going is very simple. Just shuffle the cards and then lay out three. You can read the divinatory meanings from the booklet. This is about as simple as it gets. Later on when you want to expand you're understanding, you'll inevitably have to study some occult philosophy as virtually all tarot decks are based on it to one degree or another.

TarotWoods

So does the deck come with instructions then?