BOXED SETS vs LWB (cards only)

Morwenna

OK, I'm in both camps, so to speak. I definitely want companion books, but like so many others here I find the boxed sets are a pain in the rear to store. And most boxed sets don't have an inner tuck box or chest box for the deck, so splitting the set up is problematic if you like to keep cards in their original boxes. And now of course some decks that originally came by themselves now come in sets, and try to find the companion book by itself! But if I could do it, I'd have all my decks by themselves in the box or bag with all the others, with companion books that would sit on a bookshelf with all those others. :p

greatdane

Does it matter if the book wasn't written by artist?

My biggest complain about book sets, well, one of them, is that often they aren't written by the person whose vision created the deck. Now if it has their direct input, that's helpful I guess. I think what turned me off was that my FIRST book set had the book written by someone else and it didn't seem to match up to the deck very well.

To be honest, I like just having a little booklet or lwb perhaps explaining the artist's thoughts, but I really just want to read the deck the way I'll read the deck. The exception so far for me was Place's Vampire Tarot, I thought there was a lot of great info there regarding the tie in Place made regarding the deck and vampire lore, as well as Stoker and the Golden Dawn.

WyrdRaven

Like Morwena, I'm in both camps. I love the compact, tidy, sensible arrangement of a box and LWB. So easy to store (at least, before I got so many of them!). The sets are large and unwieldy. Rarely does the box fit the deck and book in a way that doesn't result in lots of sagging wasted space. Yet I find myself worrying that I might miss out on something if I don't opt for the set with the nice large book. What gems of knowledge will be forever lost to me? What about the insights I won't have, the connection that will likely be lacking? I am helplessly driven to buy the kits. I have one Tarot (Northern Shadows) which I bought as a deck only, and I have always deeply regretted that. Never again!

Nisha

I prefer buying the boxed set with the book because I like reading different perspectives on the cards. As an artist myself, I also appreciate any insight into the process of the artist and what their intent was in portraying cards the way they did. It's interesting to see if my personal response to the cards matches their intent. Good companion books often have some unique spreads as well.

I don't store the books and cards together though. I fold up the boxes and put them away. I have a shelf for books and cards go in a pouch or wrapping into my tarot box. My collection is small and easy to store right now.

Emily

If a deck has a companion book then I'll usually buy the set. I like to read the companion books to get a feeling of what the creator of the deck saw in their own cards, especially if the decks are very busy or none traditional.

Kathy123

I prefer buying the boxed set with the book because I like reading different perspectives on the cards. As an artist myself, I also appreciate any insight into the process of the artist and what their intent was in portraying cards the way they did. It's interesting to see if my personal response to the cards matches their intent. Good companion books often have some unique spreads as well.

I don't store the books and cards together though. I fold up the boxes and put them away. I have a shelf for books and cards go in a pouch or wrapping into my tarot box. My collection is small and easy to store right now.

I do the same with the storage, the boxes are folded flat and put away, books on a shelf, and cards are in a silk bag within a large box. (my collection is growing and I need to get a bigger box soon) ;)

Sar

I think I've worked out most of them, but it's lucky you are in Norway or you'd have me on your door step wanting to be your new best friend! ;)

So when are you coming?

SunChariot

Just curious as to when you are purchasing new Tarot Decks, do you purchase the boxed sets with the companion books as a general rule or the cards only.

I bought a set that was just cards only recently, and then another cards only by accident (thought I ordered the boxed set). Maybe the universe is trying to tell me something :)

Just curious as to what readers who have been reading for many years purchase.

Unless it's a very unusual deck, just the deck, I don't even care if it has a LWB or not. I don't generally even look at the book, again unless it is a very unusual deck, And I don't save the boxes from decks. So for me, all things considered, if I'm not going to keep the box or even so much as glance at the book....I'd rather pay less. :grin:

Babs