Boyfriend burned my tarot card!!

LoonyLuna

what she said.

your ex is a real jackass. keep the deck, keep your good feelings towards this deck and love it all the more for helping you to get rid of a real a$$hole. This deck did you a big favor! You should honor this deck for that alone! You'll find another card to use in place of the original Devil card.

What celticnoodle said.

I'm shocked that he sent a photo of himself burning it. As others have said that says a lot. Definitely what noodle said and put them in a place of honour! Maybe one day you might want to use them again :)

Thoughtful

If someone had done that to a cherished tarot of mine l would be incredibly hurt. l would still love the deck even after having a card taken out and burnt. l would personally not want to abandon my deck but get a replacement card to bring it back to wholeness. You loved the deck and honoured it with your rituals and became as one with it. l feel that you will become even closer to it and more protective towards it, you have both shared a nasty moment together. Just do a healing ritual when you have the replacement card in place.
l am being sentimental l suppose but when you have bonded so well with a deck it would be a shame to let those energies disappear. A new deck may not have the same feel for you even though you get a duplicate, first love and all that :)

Emily

I'd keep the deck and use it too - as others have said, it did you a favour. One card got sacrificed but to be honest for him to have chosen the Devil card says a lot about him. It was spiteful and nasty, done to hurt you - Could have been worse, he might have chosen The Lovers :) The Original Devil is gone, either replace it with one from another Rider Waite or use one of the end cards instead. Either way, this is still the deck you've bonded with so use it and love it.

Debra

I'm guessing he thinks she's the devil, and he's demonstrating that he's ridding himself of her.

Sounds like you're both better off. Good luck to you. :heart:

Morwenna

There's nothing I can say that others haven't already said. Good riddance to him, and the deck was a means of bringing that to your attention. Do keep the deck, and if you want to get another whole deck to use do so. If you don't want to read with the old deck again, use the other cards for other purposes.

MsAnon

Energy spent analyzing his actions is energy spent wasted, in my humble (I assure you) opinion.

Be grateful that you are away from someone who has the impulsive destructive nature who held no respect for what you find sacred.

If we want to give into metaphysics here, perhaps your beloved deck that you spent to much time clearing/blessing, sacrificed itself to show you a side to him that you had to see so bluntly to know how destructive things would have become if you continued.

Although I like the idea of turning it into some art project or journal, if it comes with a constant reminder of what happened in the past, putting it well away for an extensive period of time (if you dont want to get rid of it all together) until things are settled and healed would seem your best bet.

replacing it now with a fresh deck, embracing a new turn-of-the-wheel as us tarot geeks would say, seems most the most healthy option.

Darkmage

I can't really add to what everyone else has said and they've had some brilliant ideas.

The guy's a chump. You're better off on so many levels.

I'd just replace the deck and hang on to the old one for swap cards. If what you have is a standard issue RWS, it's easy enough to find a new or near mint used one. That way, if you lose a card from the new deck, just pull it from your old one and you're good.

Beyond the Stars

Wow, I've never heard of anyone doing anything like this. It is a violent act and your deck is no longer the same. All the work you put into clearing its energy has been violated, in my opinion. I take the energy of a deck of mine very seriously. I think it is no 'accident' that your ex picked that particular card; there are certain cards in the deck that 'upset' and provoke people who are uninitiated into the symbology, but they are nonetheless affected emotionally by the images on the cards themselves. He resonates with that particular energy, which is part of why we pull the cards we do; we are drawn to them. He apparently has issues with boundaries and violence or emotionally violent acts; these are associated with negative Devil energy (rather than "all" Devil energy, which is not necessarily negative).

My hope is that you will put this old and now misused deck to one side. Create art with it if you feel the need to hold on to it, maybe meditate on the cards that you really care about, but it is no longer energized only by you; it has been 'touched' by someone who has no business having messed up your efforts. For me, I would have to toss that deck and start all over with a new deck, new energetic flow, etc. I feel like each time we use a deck, particularly the initiation process, where we imbue it with our intentions, it's like the adage that says "you never put your hand into the same river". It's an entirely new intention with a new deck. I wish for only the best for you, and I surely hope that person can keep his distance unless he learns a different way of being.

sashie

Keep the deck and continue to use it. If you can get an replacement Devil from the singles bar thread, do, and add it in. It's a popular deck, I believe you won't have a difficult time finding someone with an incomplete Rider Waite who can help.

Any readings you do with the Devil missing, when you need to get that type of message, the cards needed to show you will pop up.

If he wanted to hurt you by making your deck unuseable, and you still use it, then he hasn't won.

Popping in because I had something similar happen. Long term relationship, he was abusive, I left him and left my stuff. He took a knife to my Oracle of Shadows and Light (the original Austrailian printing with the better cardstock, and my favorite non-Tarot deck). Box is damaged, and a lot of the cards have holes in and knife marks on. I eventually got it back. (Quick aside, went completely no contact after I was able to obtain the last of my belongings, and since then he has passed away. It's weird, but please don't feel condolences are necessary.)

So, it hurt. I loved the deck, and I'm in the US, so all the new printings are on inferior cardstock, and I'm broke and can't afford to replace it. Enough of the cards are damaged that I can't tell which card is which when I'm looking at the backs. And... after a while, I didn't feel all sick and broken hearted (about the deck or the guy) when I looked at it. So, I still use it. It works just fine. I still love the deck. I feel guilty, because I sort of personify the deck & characters in it in my head, and it's like they have a boo-boo cos I dated a jerk... but, the deck doesn't seem to mind.

Also, you could send an email to US Games and ask if they'll mail you an extra card. They probably will, for free. They've done it for me when I damaged a card in my Phantasmagoric Theater.

Just my two cents. Sorry your ex is a jerk. Glad he's your ex.

MissChiff

I would still scare the piss out of him.....