Calling all shift workers...

inanna_tarot

Hi all :)

I thought I'd post a question here to all people that are shift workers like me...

How on earth do you have a regular or daily tarot or meditation practice? I am finding it really hard to fit anything in daily because I have no set time in the day I can do anything. I work long days and nights and the switch in between..

So I'm just looking for some other inspiration on how to fit it all in. Did you keep it strict like doing something as soon as you come in from work? before you go?

:)
x

Nomdeplume

I do it right before I go to bed. I take 30 minutes and do my tarot work (meditating, drawing my daily card - I ask "What lessons do I need to learn from today" - etc.). I think it's about routine, not time of day. If you did it right when you got home, after dinner, before bed, whenever works.

RagingAsthma

I thought I'd post a question here to all people that are shift workers like me...

How on earth do you have a regular or daily tarot or meditation practice? I am finding it really hard to fit anything in daily because I have no set time in the day I can do anything. I work long days and nights and the switch in between..

So I'm just looking for some other inspiration on how to fit it all in. Did you keep it strict like doing something as soon as you come in from work? before you go?

x

I feel your pain, believe me, I hardly find the time to do much throughout my busy schedule, but when I do, I go pretty hard. I try to study and do a few readings before going to bed. Sometimes if I have the time, I do a reading or two before work. Meditation during your breaks at work if possible. I also like to carry kindle on either my phone or tablet so I can read a book on Tarot while I'm at work and I have off-time.
I also take my cards with me everywhere I go, just in case. :)
But all in all, I think right before bed is the best time. Even if just for 30 minutes or an hour.

Lilianne

I think I understand. I'm a freelancer in a creative field so it's impossible to establish a daily routine. Though I have yet to learn to read the tarot I'd love to have a regular time each day for observances - meditation, offerings and eventually reading the tarot. So I too have set aside at least some time before going to bed, or if I'm having a creative splurge that might take me through the night, to do my observances first. Meditation is difficult because I have to be in a certain mood for that - no use if my mind is raging with things I want to get done!

Grizabella

I would have thought that working on a freelance basis, it would be easier to set a time aside since you're your own boss. Can you structure your time a little differently maybe? Don't get me wrong...i do understand that being self-employed can sometimes mean you work longer hours instead of 9-5, but maybe if you give it some thought you can squeeze something in somewhere. I'm always freshest when I first start my day, so if it were me I think I might get up 30 minutes or so earlier than normal and devote that time to Tarot.

SunChariot

x

I never have had a daily practice or done daily draws. It is not necessary to learning, although a lot of people enjoy them. I don't feel it ever harmed me not to.

As long as the desire to really learn it there, and the love of doing Tarot, you will fit it in when and where you can, even if that means at lunchtime at work Although also if you are too tired, that can affect your readings.

My advice is not to keep it strict. That sucks the joy right out of it, when you feel you HAVE to do something when you are not in the mood. Tarot is about intuition and connecting to that. If you don't feel like it one day that IS your intuition and you need to respect and work with your intuition in Tarot. Not to disrespect and not listen to it.

Learning Tarot should always be a joy. Whatever takes the joy and wonder from it, avoid doing that, is my advice.

Babs

Briar Rose

Sometimes what I do is, if I get home at before 7pm and know I have the next day off from work, I will clean the house and do laundry until 11-12 midnight. Then the next day I can devote all my time to crystals and tarot.

other than that- I fit it in right before I go to bed at night.

Maan

Ow i know how hard that is...i work in a group home and once or twice a week i have a sleepshift. I just take my cards with me and since i pull my daily cards at night i just do this at work. And i do my journaling everywere so my journal is always in my purse/backpack.

Meditating and yoga is do semi regurlarly at home. At work i just can't concentrate enough since i have to be alert to any sound and must be able to react inmediatly.

VGimlet

I try to get mine in before I leave the house, because when I come home I'm pretty much done.

Some days it might not be more than a sentence or two for my daily draw, but I try to be consistent, at least with that and my journal.

Lilianne

I would have thought that working on a freelance basis, it would be easier to set a time aside since you're your own boss. Can you structure your time a little differently maybe? Don't get me wrong...i do understand that being self-employed can sometimes mean you work longer hours instead of 9-5, but maybe if you give it some thought you can squeeze something in somewhere. I'm always freshest when I first start my day, so if it were me I think I might get up 30 minutes or so earlier than normal and devote that time to Tarot.

I wish! Well, I do squeeze in 20-30 minutes daily for a set of observances but contemplation, meditation, study – have to be done when time and energy allow. Study when tired is a waste for me. Meditation/astral work – one has to shut oneself away for however long – I like to set aside an hour of guaranteed solitude and there may be notes to write up afterward. For these, tired is synonymous with those wretched hypnogogic images disrupting the scene (though they can bring useful contacts at times). If work followed a regular pattern it could be made fit nicely but it doesn’t. Like, late this evening I’m on Eurostar to work with a client in Paris tomorrow. Fine. But if I know him he'll want me to use his studio resources in Aix. Good for travelling but a pain when trying to structure a working week. But we get by! Thank heavens for the chance to do some work on line (the train line as well as the internet)!

Thanks for your response! :)