Cardinal virtue of Wisdom/Prudence

jmd

One of the related questions that perhaps could be asked is whether some of the existing images of triumphal virtues we have previously seen could not perhaps be re-interpreted as indicating that the chariot itself reflects the virtue of Prudence.

I realise this is taking things beyond what is normally warranted. After all, triumphal chariots were used (and represented) by Romans and earlier simply as that: triumphal chariots. Yet, there are also the philosophical considerations as to what prudence was considered to be during especially earlier times (ancient Greek and late antiquity).

Perhaps we have read into chariot interpretations a more modern vision as to what 'triumph' itself indicates: victory by sheer brutal force (the point a little exagerated here). This would not have been seen as such in earlier times. Rather, victory or triumph would be seen far more in terms of prudent (and hence appropriate) actions. So even this sense of victory or triumph reflects an early sense of prudence.

Thinking about, and looking for some overlap between these concepts, I was reminded of Dürer's triumphal chariot.

In searching for such images, however, I also came across a journal paper that calls to mind further literary and dramatic presentations of the times at hand that may lead others to further finds.

I quote from the extract and first page of 'Juan Bautista de Loyola and the Spanish Religious Drama of the Sixteenth Century' (Hispanic Review Vol. 24, No. 4 Oct. 1956, pp. 271-277):

chariot_Juan-Bautista.gif

Rosanne

I have been thinking about this since having read the thread.
Here are my thoughts: Faith, Hope and Charity would not be in the Tarot as they are theological Virtues- God is their immediate object. So that leaves the four Cardinal Virtues as stated in the opening thread. They are called moral Virtues as they are our duties or good actions on Earth (in all four directions). Dante reckoned the Church was the Chariot and it's wheels where Desire, Will, Charity and Prudence.
I do not see 'The World Card' as Prudence, nor the 'Hermit'. I can definitely see the Chariot as Prudence as Prudence/Providence means Foresight and Guidance. Solomen was at Prudence's feet so Prudence stands on the basis of Wisdom. Another way of seeing it is perhaps because Prudence traditionally held a Mirror (foresight) and a Sieve; The sieve as guidance- well the Egyptians said it symbolised a sense of Values and reasoned judgement. The Sieve was also a symbol of the Wind- in a sense of 'ride the wind' or 'winnow to the wind'- guide your grain- let the wind carry the chaff behind you like dust of the Chariot. ~Rosanne

kwaw

kwaw said:
The Stoic Seneca wrote 'Perfect prudence is perfect virtue'. It is the mother of the other cardinal virtues in the sense that they are naturally applied or arise from the exercise of 'perfect prudence'.

Kwaw

I seem to recall that the banner of wisdom in the Mantegna painting says something along the lines of 'Help me, the Mother of all Virtues'. I've got the exact quote somewhere in my library, but can't remember at the moment which of my books I saw it in. Will post the exact quote when I find it [ah... it just came to me where I may have seen it, I think it is given in 'Survival of the Pagan Gods' by Seznec, I'll check when I get home tonight].

Kwaw

Ross G Caldwell

kwaw said:
I seem to recall that the banner of wisdom in the Mantegna painting says something along the lines of 'Help me, the Mother of all Virtues'. I've got the exact quote somewhere in my library, but can't remember at the moment which of my books I saw it in. Will post the exact quote when I find it [ah... it just came to me where I may have seen it, I think it is given in 'Survival of the Pagan Gods' by Seznec, I'll check when I get home tonight].

Kwaw

It would be great if you could get that quote - I can't read it on any of the reproductions.

The phrase "Discretio est mater virtutum" is attributed to pseudo-Bede (7th century?) and Benedict even earlier I think.

"Discretio" is Bernard's term for "Prudence" (regarded as the ability to discern between good and bad), and he says "Discretion is the moderatrix and auriga virtutum". He also knows it as "mater virtutum", but he is the first to explicitly make a verbal-visual link of Discretion/Prudence to a "charioteer".

I'll look it up in Seznec too. Thanks.

Ross

Ross G Caldwell

Found the quote in Seznec "La survivance des dieux antiques", (Flammarion, 1993) p. 132, no. 1.

"1. Compare in Mantegna's painting the Virtues which observe the battle from on high; an inscription even speaks of the Mother of Virtues (Et mihi virtutum matri succurite divi) which according to Foerster would be Truth, invisible."

The literal translation would be "And to me, the Mother of Virtues, run with assistance, O Divine Ones!".

R. Foerster's reference is from "Jahrbuch der preussischen Kunstsammlungen", vol. 22, 1901-1902, p. 480.

So we have several interpretations of the inscription now - Truth, Discretion, or Prudence (as a synonym for Discretion).

lionsdentamer

Prudence

Wasn't Prudence one of the cards in the Minichiate?

le pendu

lionsdentamer said:
Wasn't Prudence one of the cards in the Minichiate?

Hi Lionsdentamer,

Welcome to the Historical forum!

Yes, Prudence is in the Minichiate.

It's my understanding that the Minichiate probably grew out of the Tarot, and that the "additional" cards were.. well.. added.

It is interesting to note that if that is the case, then to the thinking of whoever invented the Minichiate.. Prudence was "missing" from the Tarot, not symbolised on any of the 22 cards... so she was "added" in to complete the set of four Virtues.

best,
robert

kwaw

Ross G Caldwell said:
Found the quote in Seznec "La survivance des dieux antiques", (Flammarion, 1993) p. 132, no. 1.

"1. Compare in Mantegna's painting the Virtues which observe the battle from on high; an inscription even speaks of the Mother of Virtues (Et mihi virtutum matri succurite divi) which according to Foerster would be Truth, invisible."

The literal translation would be "And to me, the Mother of Virtues, run with assistance, O Divine Ones!".

R. Foerster's reference is from "Jahrbuch der preussischen Kunstsammlungen", vol. 22, 1901-1902, p. 480.

So we have several interpretations of the inscription now - Truth, Discretion, or Prudence (as a synonym for Discretion).

Nicholos Web identifies Pallas with Prudence and the mater virtutem to "Sapiental Wisdom, Truth or Virtue herself."(Campbell n2, p344)

The inscription on the water's edge that serves to identify the armless figure of Otium in the lake reads:

Otium su tollas periere cupidinis arcus

A line from Ovid’s Remedia Amoris ‘Love’s Cure’:

"Put sloth aside, and at once you break in twain the shafts of Love; his torch is out, and henceforth is but a thing for jest and mockery. As the plane tree loveth wine, as the poplar loveth the pure stream, as the marshy reed loveth slimy soil, so doth Venus delight in idleness. Love flees from toil; if, then, you would banish love from your heart, find some work for your idle hands to do and then you will be safe. Dolce far niente, too much sleep, gambling, and overmuch wine-bibbing cloud the brain and, though they deal it no serious wound, filch away its energy."

http://www.sacred-texts.com/cla/ovid/lboo/lboo61.htm

The scroll of the 'talking' Olive Tree 'babbles in three ancient tongues. Two of these ... in pseudo greek and hebrew...is indecipherable. The Latin reads AGITE, PELLITE SEDIBUS NOSTRIS/FOEDA HAEC VICIORUM MONSTRA/VIRTUTEM COELITUS AS NOS REDEUNTIUM/DIVAE COMITES: "Come, divine companions in virtue who are returning to us from Heaven, expell these foul monsters of Vices from our seats." (p.147)

Kwaw

Campbell, Stephen J. The Cabinet of Eros: Renaissance mythological painting and the studiolo of Isabelle d'Este (Yale University Press 2004).

Web, Nicholas, "Momus with Little Flatteries: Intellectual Life at the Italian Courts," in Mantegna and Fifteenth-century Court Culture, ed. Francis Ames-Lewis and Anka Bednarek (London, 1993), 69.(quoted in Campbell n2, p344)

kwaw

jmd said:
Of especial interest is one presented by Gareth Knight in his The Magical World of the Tarot: fourfold mirror of the universe, in which, using the 'Gringonneur' deck, suggests XXI the World card as connoting Wisdom. He does this based on a clear iconographic representation of the figures within that deck, in that only four from the major Arcana have a stellated aureole: Justice, Strength, Temperance... and the World!

This was first presented as far as I am aware by SHEPHARD, JOHN in The Tarot Trumps: Cosmos in Miniature the Structure and Symbolism of the Twenty-Two Tarot Trump Cards (Aquarian Press 1985).

There is perhaps some secondary confirmation that the World card was associated with Sapienta in the Ferrarese type decks in an extent tarocchi appropriati listing for the ladies of the Ferrarese court of Isabelle d'Este where we have Sapienta associated with Il Mundo:

Il Mondo
La S. Violante Trotta. - Il tutto reggerà per sua sapienza

Il Mondo
Violante Trotta. –All she will endure* for her wisdom. .

http://www.tarock.info/bertoni.htm

*Regere – to rule. Top governe, to sway to to command, to maintain, sustaine and uphold, endure , to resist or to withstand.

Kwaw

Huck

Inside the 5x14-theory it's suggested, that the 6 added cards in the Pierpont-Morgan-Bergamo-cards formed a double triad of 3 cardinal virtues and the trio Star, Moon and Sun. By this Prudentia/Wisdom also was given to the world representation.

http://geocities.com/autorbis/pbm14new.html