Cartomancers - What Playing Card Deck Do You Use?

Aristede

I like Tally-Ho Circle Backs. They seem to hold up better than Bicycle. I also like to use Bridge size cards because they're easier to handle, and take up less room on the table.

I recently picked up the Jane Lyle deck that I fell in love with, but I stopped using it when I realized that her correspondences for the seasons of the year don't match what I'm used to using. Her Aces are illustrated to represent the 4 seasons and they kept throwing me off.

Little Baron

Forgot to mention that my main is the Ghost deck.

LB

Cerulean

The Toscana playing cards are starting to feel...destined...

I've been eying the book Cards of Destiny at Barnes and Noble for a year or so...finally got the book. One of the decks it uses is known as the Toscana deck, also known as the Adolfo Matarelli deck.

I found Flax art stores will send a double Toscana art playing card pack...am checking it out.

The book by Sharon Jeffers is from Ten Speed Press. Here's a website that illustrates a card of the day, the system..

http://www.starofthemagi.com/index.html

the book:

http://www.tenspeed.com/store/index.php?main_page=pubs_product_book_jph1_info&products_id=2163

Anyway, the book is fun for me by the use of transformation cards to illustrate the meanings. I like the Toscana deck cards that I saw--it reminded me of what I wanted the "Tarot of Argio Orell" to be on every card, instead of the pretty courts and trumps only...

So I'm going to wait for the Toscana...I'm playing with a Japanese Latin-suited crossover deck at the moment, but the Toscana will look fun to use with the book.

Best,

Cerulean

Cerulean

I ordered through Flax art suppliers...the double deck version

of the Toscana Playing cards...this transformation deck has clever designs and beautiful period images...and I do adore the Italian designs...

http://www.guntheranderson.com/cards/oct96/toscana.htm

I'm using them with the "Cards of Destiny" book by Sharon Jeffers.

I found a few of the designs displayed on the Cards of Destiny website that features information from the book.

http://www.starofthemagi.com/index.html

Something old, something new...just a borrowed thing or two...

Cerulean
who is the funny blue...

Logiatrix

Those are stunning, Mari...I especially love the Toscana set.
:thumbsup:
Hey, I can show-and-tell that 'something blue'...that is, the very understated Bicycle blue-backs; that's my deck of choice right now.
:D
There's just something so comforting and safe about a familiar little deck of playing cards. They're a nice break from tarots and oracle decks sometimes.
:)

room

I like the scans in Cards of Destiny too--the Queen of Clubs she's reproduced with the medieval headdress was impressive. I had to cancel my medieval dress and fashion book--publication was delayed and I can't afford it now. Maybe for Christmas.

I do have another book on an archaeological dig in London and the fragments of clothes they dug up--interesting, and I have my book on the history of nun's habits which ties into medieval clothes so they will have to do for now.

Another interesting transformation pack in the Toscana. I can see the attraction for you Mari. The Cards of Destiny looks like a lovely, well-produced book too.

And blue bicycle decks are lovely--I am transforming mine into a collage deck as I stated on another thread--it was old and grungy so I had to cover the blue back as well. Just doing the Aces now.

I unfortunately had to cancel my last order from Somerville for 2 playing cards, but someone gifted me a lovely new playing card deck--nothing like a shiny new deck of playing cards--I will be using them with the Personal Prophesy book along with my Civil War Illuminated deck.

Cards, cards, cards, so nice to discuss and see the different ones.

Logiatrix

How do you like that Civil War deck, room?
Pros? Cons? I'm thinking of investing in one, but must be careful to not purchase things willy-nilly...
:)

MareSaturni

My most favorite playing card deck is "The Playing Cards Oracles", by Ana Cortez and C.J.Freeman. It's fantastic, the deck is beautiful and...mysterious, dark-ish! And original. I love it!

I also own Jane Lyle's "The Fortune Teller's Cards" (i think this is the name). The book i don't like much, but the deck is very, very beautiful. It's art was painted on wood, so the result is an old-looking deck, with a very unique style.

Well, what can i say...i like both. I really really recommend Cortez & Freeman's deck AND the book (the book is truly amazing) though.

pippi

I've been faithful to my Emily the Strange deck. The cards are just a dream to shuffle, and I love the red foiled edges. Plus the little quirks on each of the numbered cards is a fun touch. (for example, a spider hanging from a web in the spades, cats hiding in the clubs, etc.) Every card is a little bit different. Love it!

stella01904

Aristede said:
I like Tally-Ho Circle Backs. They seem to hold up better than Bicycle. I also like to use Bridge size cards because they're easier to handle, and take up less room on the table.

I recently picked up the Jane Lyle deck that I fell in love with, but I stopped using it when I realized that her correspondences for the seasons of the year don't match what I'm used to using. Her Aces are illustrated to represent the 4 seasons and they kept throwing me off.
Amen to all of that. The magician's decks like Tally Ho have the best quality. Black Tigers are also very good! I use those, or Bulldog Squeezers. I have the Lyle deck and I don't use it for the reasons you cite. Also because it becomes kind of cartoonish after awhile, it has a juvenile feel, IMHO.