Correspondence courses?

ncefafn

Moongold

I'm sorry. That's what I get for replying before reading to the end of the thread. If I'd known you'd already signed up, I never would have posted what I did. Let's just forget it and move on. Best of luck in your studies, Moongold.

Kim

Moongold

Kim, I did check Canopus out as thoroughly as I could, and they have a good reputation here as far as I can tell.

I've signed up for the Foundation course which was $600.00. I haven't yet seen the course materials apart from the abridged version on the PanPlanet web site but I had a few conversations with Linda Reid who is the director and have looked at their discussion forums. Linda has already appointed a mentor for me.

I like the idea of a mentor in such study and I know I'd learn better within a framework. I'll still read widely but I find that I don't have enough of the basic knowledge to get the most from my reading.

I will keep you all posted as to how it's going.

Holmes, I think you are a really bright man, possibly brilliant, and you clearly learn very quickly in the self-directed mode. You also have a very broad knowledge of the esoteric arts now. You're way ahead of me :) I'd like to keep in touch with you about all this too.

Ultimately I'd like to work as an astrologer and it's a nice dream to have. I'd like to use both astrology and tarot in future work but the dreams are not really concrete yet. I would particularly like to work with people who may not have access to these kinds of services because they have low income.

Where I work we provide complementary therapies to people with low income for almost nothing. Reiki and acupuncture are articularly valued by clients, expecially young people from the streets who simply don't have access to this kind of work any other way.

My Tarot/Astrology dreans sound a bit pie in the sky at this stage but something will happen. I feel this quite strongly.

Moongold

Moongold

I just heard from my Canopus mentor who is a woman about my own age with the same sun and rising signs, but a Leo Moon, whereas I'm a Pisces Moon.

She seems very nice, lives in New Zealand and has been studying Astrology for many years. She is now studying hororary astrology.

One thing that did appeal to me about Canopus is that it is Australian. They have local seminars and things like that and there are fellow students living in the same city as I do.

Moongold

Lee

Re: a few questions,

Hi, holmes --

1. with your acquired knowledge do you think it is possible that you could of got all that knowledge from books , (i mean going through your two basic astrology books your intermediate two books, your advanced two books, and then your specifics aspects of astrology course).

What I basically gained from the parts of the course that I completed was a good general understanding of the planets, signs and houses, as well as a good understanding of what's going on three-dimensionally with the solar system, and everything that's involved in hand-calculating a chart. I probably could have gotten all these things from books, but it was nice to have them all in one source, with a step-by-step approach.

2. do you know feel you might go professional with your knowledge.

Well, I knew even before I took Joanne's course that it wouldn't be enough to make me a professional astrologer. I basically viewed it as something which would give me a general background in the subject, and a good base on which to build if I decided to pursue further astrological education elsewhere. But since I didn't even complete the course, I absolutely don't consider myself to have even a fraction of the knowledge I would need to go professional.

3. do you feel that astrology combined with psychology and spirituality is a valid way of conselling others ?

Sure. But it would depend on the individual (same as with tarot or anything else).

4. what is your next step from here, ?
to go after another course. ?
to study from books?
to let it go ?

Well, I'm certainly not going to do any more correspondence courses! :joke: After two failed astrology correspondence courses and one failed tarot correspondence course, I've come to the conclusion that this just isn't the learning path for me. It's a combination of two things.

First, in my opinion, individuals and organizations that offer these courses are simply not large enough and well-established enough to be trustworthy. I think they all have good intentions, but when the faculty is only one person or a few people (I believe even the Canopus Academy is basically only a few people), times change, things happen, people move on, and it's unrealistic to expect that if you pay for something that includes continued involvement with them, that they'll always be there and available to give you the support which you paid for.

Second, I believe that esoteric or occult subjects are not good candidates for correspondence courses. They're simply too subjective. The prospective student thinks that there's a generally-agreed-upon body of knowledge which can be easily packed into a correspondence course, but nothing could be farther from the truth. Just as every astrology book has the individual viewpoint of its author, the same is true with courses. All you're getting is that author's or group's viewpoint. Of course every astrology student, whether learning from books or courses or teachers or whatever, has to pick and choose from different approaches. It's just disappointing with a course, because you think you're getting a particular tradition which you can follow, and the course author's particular choices turn out to be just as arbitrary as you see in books. I'm kind of rambling here and perhaps going beyond your question.

For now, I'm giving astrology a break. I'm sure I'll come back to it; I've got plenty of books at this point to study. But I got kind of burnt out on it, combined with the frustration of dealing with the course. I think probably the best way to learn astrology would be to attend a live class with a teacher (I believe several people said this at the beginning of this thread). If you're a correspondence student, a teacher may end up putting you on the bottom of their priority list, as happened to me. But at least at a live class, you can be reasonably sure the teacher will show up. If, like me, you're isolated and can't go to a class, then I think my recommendation would be to not do a correspondence course, unless maybe someone you know and trust has gone through that course and recommends it.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be one particular book or set of books which will take you from the basics all the way through an intermediate understanding of astrology. The "Only Way to Learn" books look good, but when I looked at its discussion of how to calculate charts by hand, it seems quite inadequate. Noel Tyl wrote a whole series of books for Llewellyn whose goal was to do just that, take you through everything step by step. They're out of print now, but you can find them at used-book websites. The set is called "Principles and Practice of Astrology." I haven't seen them, but it's all I can think of in terms of a set of books from one author which takes you all the way through.

As far as being a professional astrologer, that was something I toyed with when thinking about taking a correspondence course, but I knew even then that I was ambivalent about it. As of now, I don't think I could ever be a professional astrologer. When I first started posting in the Astrology forum many moons ago, I expressed doubts about astrology's validity (i.e., does it really work). Even after all the studying I've done, I still have those doubts. I'm not convinced that it doesn't work, but I'm not convinced that it does work either. And there's no way I could accept money to do something where I feel I'm not sure about whether I'm giving the client something of value.

I do think that the Robert Mulligan course that we talked about on the first page of this thread would be a good one for someone who knew they wanted to be a professional astrologer. It's a four-year program (although you can take and pay for each segment separately, of course), and while fairly expensive, it seems like if you put in the effort, Mulligan takes it seriously and will be there for you. However, here we have the same problem... it's only him, with I think one person to help him, and so if you take his course, you're really dependent on him.

Hope this is helpful --
Lee

Moongold

This is a good discussion. I'm not disappointed that I've signed up for the Canopus course but I guess the real test will come when the course materials arrive and I get going.

I grew up in the Australian bush and did a great deal of my secondary schooling by correspondence and it always suited the rather introspective nature I had at the time. If I wanted to do the subjects that interested me there was no choice and I just got on with it. I was always fprtunate to have teachers who cared amd went the extra mile. I also did some university subjects by external study as a young woman so the milieu suits me.

There are many ways any educational experience can be enriched, and I imagine there are local groups and seminars that I can attend as well. These may not have anything to do with Canopus. You simply have to walk into any esoteric bookshop in Melbourne and you'll see notices about such gatherings. I am so committed to doing this that I will do everything I can to learn what I can.

Lee is right, Canopus is owned by one person and there are about six or so *Mentors*. They have a kind of forum or list where fellow students can converse with each other. However, the course has been going for quite a few years and has a track record and there is some stability there. I liked the look of the materials they had, and as I have a fairly basic knowledge I'll benefit from beginning at scratch. As with anything I'll get out of it what I put in, and I can alsways withdraw.

I would be very interested tp know how Minderwiz, Astraea and Dadsnook (Dave) learned if they would care to speak about it. A fellow at work who does professional consultations taught himself. He is very gifted, however and is doing his Ph. D. in physics.

At this stage, I would ultimately like to be good enough to work as an astrologer but that is quite a way in the distance and I'm not thinking about it too much.

Moongold

Lee

Moongold, I thought the Canopus website was very well-put-together, and I probably would have gone with them when I was looking for a correspondence course. The only reason I didn't was because I'm in the U.S. and therefore basically on the other side of the planet, and that made me a little uncomfortable. Since you're in Australia, I think they're a very reasonable choice for you, and I'll be interested to hear about your further progress.

-- Lee

Astraea

Linda Reid is widely known and well-respected in the field, and Canopus enjoys a good reputation in the States, as far as I know (of course, this is also true of Joanne Wickenburg). Since your mentor has already contacted you and you've received the materials for your course, Moongold, let us hope that everything will go just fine; there is no reason at this point to believe that it won't.

As a beginner, I was fortunate to find a teacher who trained and mentored me for several years. She, herself, had been a student of Jeff Mayo in England, and she was a wonderful teacher who became one of the best friends I've ever had -- in this, or any other lifetime.

Lee

My experience with Joanne Wickenburg is finally complete, so I just wanted to post here to put the final nail, so to speak, in the coffin of my correspondence course adventure.

After agreeing by e-mail to refund my money for the half of the course I did not complete, it took me a while to get the course materials back to her, because she had moved but not printed up new receipts with her new address, so I sent the materials to the (now obsolete) address on the receipt I had.

After that was straightened out, she accepted delivery of the course materials, and then I heard nothing from her for seven weeks. During that time, I e-mailed her twice, begging her to return my money so that we could end our acquaintanceship amicably. Both e-mails went unanswered.

Finally, I sent her a letter by snail-mail. I sent it registered, return receipt requested. I sent it to three different addresses simultaneously so she could not claim that she hadn't received it. In the letter I outlined all of the events up to the present, and I threatened to file suit against her, and to notifiy her colleagues at the Kepler College of the outcome of the suit.

A few days later, I received the check in an envelope, by itself with no letter.

So, at this point I'm delighted that my money was returned and that the episode was over, but I'm chagrined that I was unable to avoid unpleasantness. If I were ever in the position to consider attending the Kepler College (of which Ms. Wickenburg is the Chairperson of the Board of Trustees), I would certainly bring this incident up to them and question whether I could trust their financial dealings with students.

Moongold, I'm curious as to how you're getting on with the Canopus Academy.

-- Lee

Astraea

Lee, that is absolutely reprehensible. I am so sorry that the experience proved to be such a bust, insult compounding injury. And I'm not so sure that, in your shoes, I wouldn't still file a complaint with the Kepler ethics committee (assuming there is one). I'm very glad that you were reimbursed, but you should never have had to go through those hoops.

inanna_tarot

just drudging up an old old thread, because I have found it a very interesting read this afternoon.