Creating in Other Media

blue_fusion

What are your thoughts on creating a tarot deck (or decks!) geared towards output other than cards? I mean, the Particle Tarot's in a book format, and TG has several other decks listed under book format when using their advanced search options. or perhaps artist's books (you know, those "books" which stretch the definition of "book" beyond the normal spine-leaves-covers idea)? or calendars? or... performance art! lol

seriously though, i'd love to hear your thoughts on this, or if anyone's thinking of doing something as out of the norm. to be honest, the idea crossed my mind when i was thinking of how to make a deck (in the not-so-near future) using thin stock - cuz there's a number of printers in my school which offer dirt cheap services for coloured printing, though they can only print on said thin stock (not even card, just some different type of paper) - and realized, if "books" could come in other nifty, ingenious formats, then so could Tarot.

blackroseivy

There you go - PERFORMANCE ART!! :D I wanted to do some dance choreography on the subject, but I don't know that that will ever be possible...

I have ideas for an exhibit which will incorporate paintings done of the 22 Major themes; they are going to be multi-panel, gilded oil paintings - & with that, an interactive element. Though I may just seperate the 2... Not yet sure, but be watching the art-world because I intend to make a big splash ONE of these days in NYC with some Tarot ideas!

So, very pleased that you came up with the topic! :D

blue_fusion

I remember seeing an article in TG from waaay back which had pics of them in Tarot costumes - in particular, those that draped the figures in the Londa Tarot and the Buckland Romani. When you think about it, that qualifies as perfomance art (though i really was kidding when I suggested that :D).

oh. and. i wonder if those tiny Lego people are customizable... hmmm...

thinbuddha

This is how I originally got interested in tarot. I was thinking of doing a video oracle (think "random play"), and while investigating how such a thing might work, and what sort of themes should be represented, I decided to look at tarot and get an idea of how tarot worked.

The project never got off the ground. The obsession with cards did.

Debra

Isn't Kat of Golden Tarot fame working on a tarot "deck" for cell phone use?

I think she's making something that's appropriate for electronic media and easily recognized on a small screen, so cell phones, pdas, along those lines...I barely understand the principle of the lever, myself. But she's got a thread on it here in Deck Creation!

blackroseivy

Maybe YOU were kidding!! :p heheheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I really WAS going to do choreographies! :D :D :D But I am going on 42, & it seems too late.

That idea for cell-phones is neat, I'll have to watch for it... ;)

Chronata

My whole thought on the subject of "Other," comes down to...what is tarot? for me.

I have experiemented with all sorts of different things and materials...from polymer clay, to window cling film, to painted rocks, to magnets, and dolls.

And for me anyway, tarot still has to be usuable as a divination tool for it to make any sense in a new media.

My polymer clay tarot chips were surprisingly usefull (as were the magnets, for flinging cards and seeing what sticks!:D) But other ideas just ended up being pretty things that got lost in the vast wasteland of my evolving creative landscape. But then, when it come sto me, I like all my art to be usefull or interactive in some way.

Now, that's not to say...that as a collector I wouldn't buy a beautiful book about tarot to oogle the pretty pictures. I have considered purchasing a few in the past (that aren't available in any other format) because I really like the artist.
And there are some things that I imagine can only be in book form to work...
Like a pop up book of tarot! I would so love one of those!

Speaking of costuming...in one of my many beautiful heavy coffee table books on fantasy costuming, there is a picture of the woman who made the Tarot of the Cat People, and the amazing costiume she built that looks exactly like the card! Pretty cool!

Code Warrior

I always thought that have a majors only deck made as pewter figurines to put on display on a knick-knack shelf or something would be cool. I've looked. Haven't found a set yet.

Dan

kindkingkenne

Oracles of the Living Tarot

Tarot as theatre is one possibility. I have taken part in a production of the ongoing Oracles of the Living Tarot, last year doing the Chariot, and the year before the Emperor. We did a show at PantheaCon in San Jose where my interpretation of the Chariot as The Rocket was very well received. OLT has a costumed performer interpreting each of the Major Arcana w/ a monolog. Each card is drawn at random by a diviner character. After the performance the audience has an opportunity to get a reading from one of the 'cards'.

I personally am involved in creating an interactive tarot application in Flash. I would be greatly interested in obtaining a digitized deck that I can use as a placeholder until I finish creating my own digital deck. Does anyone know if a deck is available as jpg or other format that I have the right to use say on my webpage, or in an application?

blue_fusion

Chronata said:
My polymer clay tarot chips were surprisingly usefull ....
PICS! PICS!!! :D

Chronata said:
Like a pop up book of tarot!
this seems like an interesting (and do-able) project. maybe something to the effect of paper tole? you just have to print many versions of the same image?

the pewter idea sounds good too.

i just discovered this other printer in our university that does ID printing (those thick, unflexible plasting things). these'd be cards, though. but they'll be extremely unshuffleable. if there's such a word. lol