Creating own spreads

VGimlet

LOL Talisman (still with the mental picture of that street corner.)

I think the important thing, both in using already created spreads and those you do yourself, is to find what works for you, and/or the person you're reading for. Just like everything else, practice, play around, have fun. You might discover something wonderful.

For me, balance seems to be important. I like multiples of 3, and have noticed spreads with even numbers of cards don't feel right to me.

I don't think there is a certain time when you're ready, it sounds like you might be ready now Joywalker :).

Joywalker

Thanks VGimlet & Talisman!!

Thank you for the encouragement!! :D

LadyShallot

I create spreads as a way of corresponding to some other system. I am a big fan of Spongebob Squarepants and created a spread based on the cartoon (a bit of personal whimsy).

I created a feng shui spread (about which I know only slightly less than nothing). A friend of mine was intensely interested in the subject and was using a nine square grid and each square represented some aspect of life and corresponded to some part of her house. She was having some issues with what she needed to do. I just suggested we lay a tarot card out for each spot on her grid and see what the cards would reveal to her. Bingo, feng shui spread.

Most of my readings I do with spreads I did not create but read about. But I think it if fun to take some subject that one is interested in and create a spread based on that.