dealbreaker cards in a deck

Beyond the Stars

I don't know if this answer has come up already, but there are two things for me that will put me off an entire deck. One is the recent emergence of decks that seem to be using photography of real people's faces; I have to work really hard to overlook the specificity of the image, since the real person's face is looking at me, and it's just weird for me. The second thing that feels like grit in my eye is a Tower card that doesn't express the overall upset of this card. Cards that soften or minimize the Tower put me off. Although I would like to design a deck with Fairytale imagery based on authentic (not watered-down) Grimm's fairytales (and other world fairytales or stories that seem fairytale-like) and I sometimes visualize for this card the Ice Queen's castle in "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe." But I'd like to find something more violent, probably.

Teyata

I don't have any dealbreakers per se when looking to purchase a deck - I look at the art style holistically and see if it jives with me before delving into individual images. Usually I know within a few seconds whether I want it. I will say that I check the Major Arcana before the Minor Arcana, and of the Major Arcana I look first at the Hermit, Death, and Judgment. I love to see the artist(s)' and creator(s)' interpretation of these cards.

MsAnon

The Tower.
Haha call it the political rabble rouser in me but I so loved the monarchs falling from the sky in RWS and the crown of fire coming off by the natural forces of lightening, such a signifier of dominant forces coming to an end, that if the card leaves our ANY possibility that the change could have this form I usually turn away. Like if it just focusses on negative destruction/change.

I second the photos of real faces/people. Throws me off. That may change, I've been tempted by the Illuminati and the Gilded, but I just can't take the leap just yet.

madhatter00o

I always try to look at the deck's art style as a whole, so it's rare that a single card will ruin everything.

That being said, I've noticed that the Tower is a card that I look out for in particular. Most decks stick to the traditional "building hit by lightning" image, but I really do want to see some creativity in how that is presented. I tend to prefer beautiful and fanciful illustrations, and if the Tower doesn't resonate with me, I get disappointed and become more critical of the deck (meaning the other cards *really* have to make up for it).

Also, a major card for me is the Queen of Swords. I really identify with her traditional meanings, as well as personal meanings I've ascribed to her. I absolutely think of the QoS as me in the deck, so if she looks ridiculous or otherwise less than awesome, I'll probably pass on it. (Yeah, I'm selfish and petty XP) Conversely, a great QoS can make up for other art in the deck that doesn't speak to me as strongly.

Finally, I check to make sure I can live with the portrayal of the Lovers. This is another card that, like the Tower, kind of needs to be done right. Even more so than the Tower, I'm critical of the Lovers because it needs to speak to the duality -- the spiritual attraction or recognition -- that the card points to, even more so than "love." Two people embracing on the Lovers? *Que eye roll*
Okay... right.

In general (there are exceptions, of course), I'm not a fan of the overuse of CGI in the artwork, actual photos or photo-realistic portraits (I can't get past the fact that these are other humans with their own lives and stories... and they're popping up in my cards?!), collages, and contrived alternative names for the Major Arcana or Suits. Also, images of people who look unnaturally posed or are in contrived poses. These things just don't fit into my personal artistic aesthetic.

I could go into great detail about why I take issue with certain aesthetic elements, but it would definitely be harsh... and I do at least recognize that 1) the artists put a lot of time into these decks, and 2) a great many other people like the decks I don't - and that's totally great! Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion.

I never thought of myself as very picky, but when it comes down to it, I will be or already have been spending a lot of time (and sometimes money) on these cards. I don't want to be put off by them; I don't want to regret having bought them; I don't want them to make me feel uncomfortable. To the extent that I can be, I want to like and find meaning in every image of the deck. If I can't even bear to look at an image without thinking "wtf," I'm not going to find that meaning, which renders the deck more or less pointless.

Yelell

Antlers. Seriously, I cannot get past the Robin Wood magician.

SunChariot

probably the Death card. I am somewhat squeamish about anything that looks like death, skeletons included. That means most Death cards give me the creeps. If I can find a gentle one I am happy. If one bothers me too much I will likley not buy a deck.

Babs

delinfrey

Very interesting thread!
I wouldn't say any card is a dealbreaker specifically, since I go with my gut feeling when purchasing a deck. I do have some cards which I somehow really don't like -

the first being the Star from the Sacred Rose Tarot. Bear in mind that The Sacred Rose is my dearest, most absolute favourite deck and cherished to bits - 90% of my readings are done with it. And the Star is -my- card, the most important card in any deck (my favourite star is from the Fantastical Tarot, but also Thoth and Legacy of the Divine). But in the Sacred Rose - otherwise my favourite deck - I just can't stand the colours, it looks like a Disney ad.

On the other hand, one of the biggest paradoxes for me is the amount of "dealbreaker" card in the Legacy of the Divine. It is a deck a happily work with, study, do readings - but there is an abundance of cards in this deck that make me cringe, particularly The Lovers - Two of Cups combo. I find myself wishing that these cards didn't come up, with the 80s wall deco dove-wings heart and the clinking champagne flutes with the crab...I also find the woman in the Five of Cups extremely disproportionately faced, and I don't like that image (Sacred Rose Five of Cups is very good). Last but not least, the 10 of cups and the 9 of cups send me over the edge as well. Seems like I have some issues with the cups... But the deck has amazing cards like the Star or the Hermit or the Fool, and an amazing depiction of the Fool's journey (especially on the Devil's card - they are the same!) so I let it go.

As for the swords - I think the swords IS an inherently negative suit, since ignorance is bliss. Intelligence and the swift cut of a sharp mind does cause a lot of pain - the more you know, the more you, well know. And that's not always good. Who has felt the pang of a racing brain, the almost aching need to find the truth, curiosity which turns to obsession - they know what I'm talking about.

giustizia

The number one deal-breaker for me is Justice. She's my favorite card, so she has to be done right. If the deck has a scene instead of the actual figure herself, it will take a lot to make up for it!

After that I look at all the Queens. I will occasionally browse through the Kings, however I love their RWS depictions so much that it has been nearly impossible for any others to rival them... Hence why I rely on their partners instead! :)

I'll also look at the High Priestess, the Empress, the Lovers, Strength, Temperance, and the Star. These are cards that are either really easy for me to connect with or more of a challenge, so it's always nice when we click. I'll also study the "popular" cards of a deck, either the cards used in advertising or the ones that other people seem to be drawn to the most (such as the Magician from the Tarot of the Magical Forest).

plant witch

for me, it's all about the backs. if I hate the pattern on the back I just can't use it.

g4nymede

im also all about the backs, part of the reason i bought the smith-waite rendition instead of the typical rider-waite is because of the backs... also, card size. i like smaller cards, but it's not a huge deal breaker.
honestly, if there's one card that really speaks to me - the high priestess in the cosmic tarot, for example - i can excuse a lot.