Decans

Grigori

Moderator Note

Hi Everyone :)

AW has created a new thread over here discussing some of the ideas bought up in the current conversation. I think it's probably a good time to take this conversation to the new venue so this thread can remained focused on the decans.

Thanks so much

S

Scion

Sim, do you want to move this more general fate/free will magickal stuff over to that new thread so this thread is more focused?

sapienza

When I bumped this thread I didn't have time to re-read it all..... until just now. I've just realised that in my more recent posts I've asked questions very similar to some I asked earlier and so I apologise if people feel they've had to answer the same questions over again. Just shows how slowly this stuff filters in :)

I'm still enjoying exploring the Decans and I'm focusing a lot more on the astrology when working with the Thoth. I actually really liked your last post Scion, even if it was a little off topic. To me it's a helpful reminder of just how vast a topic decans is, and just how important. So my opinion, for what it's worth, is that it might be nice for it to stay here as well.

Grigori

Scion said:
Sim, do you want to move this more general fate/free will magickal stuff over to that new thread so this thread is more focused?

I don't want to interrupt this conversation (mostly because I'm enjoying it :D) but also don't want to eclipse the decan subject. I do think its best if we take advantage of the opportunity to slide this new bigger tangent on fate/free will over to the new thread and move back towards the decans in this one. A bit of overlap is inevitable though of course, not looking to delete any posts or content, just hoping to trick y'all into posting twice as much ;)

ravenest

Just when its getting juicy I am having trouble getting on the internet! damn

To address a few earlier queries. I think the GD tarot does start at 0 Aries - the 'first' tarot card is there. 0 Leo is the start of their zodiac - the card attributed there is not the first tarot card. As stated 7 does not go into 12 evenly so there is an extra planet attribution and it is Mars. GD says that the extra mars is needed so the the fiery energy can bring us out of the long cold of winter ???????? Rubbish IMO (see my other post where I discuss this and other ;'strange GD issues) - ceratinly does not make sense to those of us 'down here' (south hemisphere)

However it makes good sense to start a zodiac at 0 Leo (or close to it) because of Regulus, Regulus does not move, like the equinoctal point does, its easy to find Regulus, not so easy to find the equinoctal point and Regulus is VERY close to the ecliptic so it is a 'natural' marker.

Its also used in modern space navigation. NASA had to use a different fixed point than that used on a star map, The equnoctal point is only relavant from earth and no use when one is zooming around 'out there' so they use Regulus ... for similar reasons.

At one time the Equinoctal point would have been at Regulus, that time can be found with a computer program (that I dont have access to anymore) - that date might prove interesting.

ravenest

sapienza said:
Yes, thanks Abrac. What I guess I'm wondering is WHY 0 degrees Leo is the start of the Chaldean year and not 0 degrees Aries?

Because 0 Aries isnt as easy to find as 0 Deg Leo ? 0 Aries isnt so special anyway ... what makes it so special? Just recent times and (shudder) tropical astrology.

sapienza said:
Sorry I don't have the info to hand but from memory isn't there a double up somewhere where Mars is in two decans beside each other? I guess I'd feel more comfortable knowing there was some solid reason for starting off in Leo and that it wasn't just an arbitrary choice. Maybe it doesn't really matter. Sometimes when I wade into this stuff I feel like I have absolutely no clue what I'm talking about :)

But you point out many valid base questions that others dont seem to notice, fudge on or dont have an answer to (I'm not refering to people here). If some cant answer these questions they will tell you you dont know what you are talking about - DONT BELIEVE THEM!

Keep on asking ... and if the answer doesnt make sense ask about that as well!

sapienza

Thanks so much for your reply ravenest. Your info about Regulus makes a lot of sense and makes the 0 deg Leo start meaningful at least.

ravenest said:
see my other post where I discuss this and other ;'strange GD issues
Is the post you are referring to in this thread?

ravenest

Nah .... its here

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=120383

Might be a bit dated by now. I basically refering to Nth hemisphere bias.

An extra Mars to bring 'us' out of the cold of winter? Well, it's summer down here then and bloody hot enough without any extra Mars's thanx :laugh:

besides, I alwaays thought it was the Gulf Stream that bought the extra warmth .... I could go on. But I wont, because I did in the other thread

[Ed. Ahh thats not it ... now I cant find it, somewhere i was dissing the GD writings where it goes on about that extra mars and a whole of other wierd stuff that makes NO sense, like the above, and the comments relating to the south hemisphere (like how Cancer has the same effect here as in the north at the same time of year although the seasons are opposite, and how we have a lack of occult knowledge concerning the stars AHEM! - its been going on 'down here' for 40,000 years) stuffed shirt anglo post-victorian white waspy ego sh*t ..... and all that ... rant rant.

sapienza

:laugh: I do find it all gets a little frustrating at times. Earlier this year I looked into the whole Southern Hemisphere 'situation' with astrology. I have it reconciled well enough for my own purposes, but it always seems when I work with the Thoth that certain issues come up that basically just frustrate me. This is generally when I begin working with my Ancient Italian and/or TdMs where I don't have to fit with someone elses system.

Last night I did some reading on the myths associated with the fixed stars linked to each decan. I found that in many cases the myth could be linked to the meaning of the associated card. I read a bit of Brian Clarks book for the Celestial Tarot. Even though he matches totally different cards to the decans, there is still a lot of interesting information in the book about the constellations and myths.

Scion

For folks interested in studying traditional astrology, I HEARTILY recommend Ben Dykes website in general and his new Logos & Light lecture series specifically. The orientation is available free, and is fantastic... I'm sure I'll have more to say about it when I've had time to sit and actually absorb the others.

Ben is one of the few people actually unearthing and translating lost esoteric material with scruples and scholarship. He just launched these specifically to introduce traditional astrology (and the philosophy behind it) to "modern students of astrology and occult/esoteric thought" and the whole series looks to be stunning...