Deck of the Week : Sign-up Thread: Week 210 : August 8 - August 14

GoldenWolf

While I enjoy the oracle decks that Jasmine Becket-Griffin illustrated, The Beautiful Things tarot does not work as a tarot. I've never trimmed a deck yet, but I am tempted to do so with this one to get rid of the titles and simply use it as an oracle deck. Sometimes with odd decks like this, referring to the guide book helps, but sadly that is not the case here. I'd say it's geared to the preteen crowd except that is when I learned to read with a RWS and copies of Eden Gray's books. In fact I may grab a RWS style deck for next week just to feel right in my little tarot world again.

Scarlet Woodland

While I enjoy the oracle decks that Jasmine Becket-Griffin illustrated, The Beautiful Things tarot does not work as a tarot. I've never trimmed a deck yet, but I am tempted to do so with this one to get rid of the titles and simply use it as an oracle deck. Sometimes with odd decks like this, referring to the guide book helps, but sadly that is not the case here. I'd say it's geared to the preteen crowd except that is when I learned to read with a RWS and copies of Eden Gray's books. In fact I may grab a RWS style deck for next week just to feel right in my little tarot world again.

This was pretty much my fear. Keep thinking about getting it as I do like the images but as tarot... it veers too much towards the lots of indeterminate close ups of pretty people end of things, and I just don't think I could read with it. As you said though, I could always try it as an oracle. Shame. Wish it had been done properly with all the cards created from scratch, I know other decks have succeeded off existing art but its a very hit and miss game.