detail or color?

temperlyne

Hello,
I'm new here but you seem like the right people to ask for help with my problem.
I'm planning on designing my own tarot deck and actually have all 78 scenes in my mind. I'm going to make my own imprission of my favourite (mostly) victorian art.
But I seem to have a choice... I can either draw it, with not much color but in much detail.
Or I can paint, but then the detail would make place for vibrant color.
And making 2 decks seems like a 2 lifetimes worth of work...

So my question is: What do you prefer, color or detail?

Maan

hello Temperlyne...welcome here:) Yet an other duchie Yeah ;)

Anyway i would go for detail...but thats just my opinion. I guess the question is what do you prefer in a deck?

Good luck and keep us posted!

Major Tom

temperlyne said:
Hello,
I can either draw it, with not much color but in much detail.
Or I can paint, but then the detail would make place for vibrant color.
And making 2 decks seems like a 2 lifetimes worth of work...

So my question is: What do you prefer, color or detail?

Hello and welcome Temperlyne. :)

I just have to ask: Why can't you combine drawing and painting? Many have. :)

Just trying to think of all your options...

temperlyne

Thanks for the input! The problem is that my drawing style is very different from my painting style.. I hope I am making some sense here... But I draw very sketch-like with no straight lines or confined spaces and I find it very had to ad color and paint without ruining the original. Were as when I start painting right away the result is more straight to the heart with no place for fine detail.

I will give you the only example I have online on my paintwork...I'm a fraid it is my closetdoor, but it might give a sense of my style...

http://169779692.home.icq.com/kunst.html

thanks again for the help!

blue_fusion

why not try drawing it, then coloring it digitally? tht way, you can still color it in great detail. just a suggestion, though. :)

temperlyne

It would be a great suggestion.... But I don't know anything about digitally doing anything... All I know is how to hold a pencil and how to dream. Maybe I should just team up with a computer expert?

Liliana

well i think black and white is fine for victorian art :) So Id go for detail, but if you wanted color ever try working with colored pencils? There are some lovely decks done in colored pencil.

:THP

blue_fusion

temperlyne said:
It would be a great suggestion.... But I don't know anything about digitally doing anything... All I know is how to hold a pencil and how to dream. Maybe I should just team up with a computer expert?

good idea. i think there are a lot of people here who can help you in coloring your images! :)

WillieHewes

Hm, difficult question. For the way you describe your drawing style it would be pretty hard to add colour, even digitally. It depends on the skill of the colourer though.

It really all depends on your own preferences, what you think looks better or just what you like doing better. I'd go for colour, I think, but I don't know. I can't really help you without seeing what I'm choosing between. (The link to your painting didn't work, btw.)

I would suggest you try one card, or two in both media, so a painted version and a pencilled version. That way you can perhaps see more clearly which method fits your ideas best.

Willie

temperlyne

Thanks! I thought of that to, but at first I was afraid it might be too much work, but now I've started I realise that I need to make several drafts anyway. I could never be satisfied with a painting unless I tried several versions of the scenes. I'm working on the painted version of the High priestess now and will put it up here to have you guys give your opinions as soon as Im done.