Diary of a Broken Soul

Which layout would you prefer in a tarot deck?

• Traditional Tarot Titles for Majors and Pips

Votes: 23 92.0%
  • Numbered Majors with Playing card numbering for the Pips

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alta

Hi Ash, I just saw this and also read that you planned to use numbers only. I suspect that is the way to go because the Middle-ages based card titles don't fit that well with your deck. Being older, I tend to agree with truelighth, that while unobtrusive numbers fit the cards, making them too unobtrusive, i.e. hard to see, could detract a bit from the use of the deck.

How were you planning on handling the minors then? Same as now with a numeral and the playing card suit symbol?

I very much like the idea of smaller borders and the art in sharper focus, looks excellent.

Alta

sacredashes

Have attached a version.2 for the layout. This has the number in white against black as opposed to the first version with shaded, faded gray.

I would love to have the shadowplay on the titles but Alta and truelighth both raised a point that is valid in terms of practical use for the more distinguished readers ;)

Since the 2nd edition is for you guys who will be reading with this deck, would you let me know what you think after comparing the layout?

Minors.. }) will have poker cards titles like the LE version. Can't change that bit I'm afraid. Struck a deal with Dajjal so I have to stick with it lest he creeps up on me and digs out my eye. :p I know it sounds gory.. its more like psychosomatic symptoms; the eye remains but the pain is real!

:heart:

Attachments

• 0thefoolnumericversion2SMALL.jpg
    0thefoolnumericversion2SMALL.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 147

VGimlet

I while I personally quite like the grey numbers, (and I like the numbers instead of the titles....myself, it lets me stretch the brain a bit) I think the brighter white might be better for some folks. ;)

This is going to be such an awesome deck.

MsRubyRain

I still like the more unobtrusive numbering, however, whichever you choose it will still be a stunning deck.

What do the initials in the card stand for?

misfitknits

hi, i'm new to the conversation, but i have looked at the various possible text on the cards, and i have to say that i couldn't see the shadowy-gray numbers almost at all, and i quite like the white number *the version of the fool you just posted*. it's much easier to see and i don't find that it detracts too much from the artwork itself! it's much better than looking at the numbers and trying to figure out what the heck they are! maybe it's just my computer, though, because i'm only 24, and although i do wear glasses, my vision isn't THAT bad!! lol!! ^_^

ETA: since finding this deck 3 hours ago, when i originally posted my thoughts on the numbers being white or gray, i have delved into research of this deck which i had never seen before. i'm very excited about it, but i have a lot of research left to do!! *i'm doing all this in between home schooling and taking care of a 3 and 6 year old, and now will HAVE to make dinner! lol* i still haven't seen images of the LE deck, or maybe i have i just didn't KNOW it was it. but i did find your website, ash, and watched the singapore tarot videos, which i thought were quite interesting.

ANYWAYS: i will probably want this deck in the end, because the world you all are talking about, i really want to get to know this world!!! so count me in, also!!! <3

truelighth

misfitknits said:
hi, i'm new to the conversation, but i have looked at the various possible text on the cards, and i have to say that i couldn't see the shadowy-gray numbers almost at all, and i quite like the white number *the version of the fool you just posted*. it's much easier to see and i don't find that it detracts too much from the artwork itself! it's much better than looking at the numbers and trying to figure out what the heck they are! maybe it's just my computer, though, because i'm only 24, and although i do wear glasses, my vision isn't THAT bad!! lol!! ^_^
it was it. but i did find your website, ash, and watched the singapore tarot videos, which i thought were quite interesting.

Welcome to the world of Jahanam, misfitknits. It is addicting :D.

I had the same experience as you had with the shadowy-gray numbers. I just couldn't see them. I don't know what it would look like on actual cards, but for now, my preference goes to the normal white. And titles actually :).

sacredashes

VGimlet said:
I while I personally quite like the grey numbers, (and I like the numbers instead of the titles....myself, it lets me stretch the brain a bit) I think the brighter white might be better for some folks. ;)

This is going to be such an awesome deck.

Thank you!! I do agree with you in that numbers, although simplifies things a lot pose a different set of challenge. Not sure if I'm right about this but I think using numbers instead of titles switches the usual mental process of how one reads the cards? For example, re-naming the cards would force us to associate the new title to traditional ones and its meaning.

MsRubyRain said:
I still like the more unobtrusive numbering, however, whichever you choose it will still be a stunning deck.

What do the initials in the card stand for?

I like the shadow play too but I keep reminding myself this deck is NOT for me. It has to be practical to readers as well :p

The initials are Ash... I always like Homer's way of putting his signature as part of the painting. Thought it was so cool so I decided to pay tribute to him by offering the highest from of flattery... imitation })

misfitknits said:
... ANYWAYS: i will probably want this deck in the end, because the world you all are talking about, i really want to get to know this world!!! so count me in, also!!! <3

Welcome to Jahanam then. Hope you have a nice time here.

The Star card was about a civilization lost and as the Lady Nebula moves through the universe; her light can be seen from millions of light years away. When I read The Secret, it reminded me of her. How the universe listens and delivers our wishes.. only our wishes are discordant and so, we get what we wish for.. everything we want plus everything we don't want. How ironic, right?

:D While I was creating this deck, I was convinced I was tapping into a world that is (?) or was (?) in existence and the characters are so REAL. Jahanam is that lost civilization :)

**truelighth** ... member of the high council ;) I may not be able to meet the traditional titles request but the white numbers layout is something I can do.... See? The glass is half full :D

:heart:

Vesper

I also like the brighter numeric titles. Not just because they are more visible, but because they are a little spot of light in the darkness. A little contrast can be a nice thing.

Oh, and I love the small borders.

truelighth

sacredashes said:
**truelighth** ... member of the high council ;) I may not be able to meet the traditional titles request but the white numbers layout is something I can do.... See? The glass is half full :D

I am honored to be called member of the high council :D. And yeah, I thought the traditional titles would probably not happen and that is ok. Just wanted to tell my preference anyway. It is already so cool to have this deck with the nice small borders and the more crisp art... it will go wonderful with the other diary of the limited edition ;).

NikkiB

ohhhh put me on the list to, i want one!!!!!