Dinner with Tarotbear

Eco74

"...and then, believe it or not my good leprichaun, there was STILL not a single little smidgeon of gold to be found and..."

*gets interrupted by a little leprichaun-lady dressed in a moss-green dress*

"M'lady. It's time you go to the fire to make your offering, or offerings as the case may be."
"Oh, already? My that was... no that wasn't really fast at all was it. Goodness how the days fly by when you have pleasant company and good scotch nearby.
Do excuse me Mr. Leprichaun as I go get rid of this thing I've been carrying about for far too long - and do have a dance with this lovely looking lady here while I'm away. If I can't find you when I get back, I'll trust you're busy being happy."

*walking off from behind the barrels, sneaking a peak back as she is about to pass through the blue curtains she can't help but wink and smile as the little couple are getting engrossed in conversation*

*arriving by the fire she starts speaking*

"Hello all, sorry about the delay, I hope I didn't keep you waiting for too long. I got a little distracted by a little leprichaun carrying a very large bottle of very fine scotch that he was willing to share..
Anyway, here is my offering to the pyre.
A promotional deck, all made up of fused images, starting with a background and with images blended in at different opacities. Each suitsymbol the most neutral as can be, so as not scare people off of Tarot if they get their hands on a copy I presume, but more likely having the exact opposite effect.

With the ONE exception of the rather beautiful woman posing as a smiling empress the cards are completely flat and pointless...

*tossing the numbered minors one by one into the fire*
The minors in each suit sharing the identical background which atleast is different for each suit, but that does nothing but stifle the mind when viewed.
The fact that they went for a marseille-inspired look is absolutely NO excuse and actually makes it that much more horrible. Marseille-minors are NOT - I repeat NOT - just suit symbols repeated in the most simple way possible.. There are details in layout, in decor and in shading, even in small differences between the little symbols.
*waits for the minors to have gone up in flame before continuing - so as to catch my breath and calm my breathing a bit*

*tossing the court-cards one by one into the fire*
The courts.. Now here's a revelation in how to make the more demanding cards as simple as possible..
Take a face in profile, put it on a background depending on whether the court is a page, knight, queen or king, and then add the suit-symbol on each card. The suit-symbol is the ONLY thing that differs the kings, queens, knights and pages from eachother. If they weren't there, the cards would be identical.. Much like the numbered minors without the right number of the suitsymbol.
*gladly notes that the courts seem to catch fire fast*

*starts tossing the major arcana into the fire one card at a time*
And these..
In the major arcana there's differences between all the cards, but clearly put together by someone who knows virtually nothing about tarot, except for what kind of symbol needs to be included to describe the basic meaning.
There is seemingly little to no thought about composition of the symbols and either the person in question really loves scenery-images or was bribed by the person who took the background shots..
Granted, the face of the empress is very lovely and the face of the dog (floating in the sky) is rather charming, but those are the only redeeming qualities.
Only a couple of the cards have managed to hint on the cards actual meaning (to me, who's familiar with how the cards are set up traditionally) and I really don't think this soon-to-be-former-deck-of-cards-about-to-become-ashes would ever help any beginner find their way around the meanings of a tarotdeck - or find the inspiration to keep searching for that matter.
*happily notes that now all the cards have been thrown into the flames*

And now, to other more pressing matters.

"Tarotbear - I must compliment you on the alterations you made to Elvens dress. Her legs do look a bit chocked, but they'll calm down in a while and if worse comes to worse, she could blame the redness on the fire or a 'stray firework'..
Also, lovely save on that Queen of Wands - never knew a queen to curtsy but the Queen of Wands does do whatever she pleases so whyever not." :)

*with those words she steps off the platform less burdened than when she got up and feels even more light-hearted than that gorgeous scotch made her before her appearance* :D

WolfSpirit

WolfSpirit has been happily sitting by the fire enjoying the really good whisky she found hidden behind one of the curtains...but notices it is getting a bit cold...oh no the fire ! Time for something substantial. So she takes out the Celtic Tarot by Courtney Davis...and the box...and the book...and the journal...*sigh* it looked like such a nice package...for those who like Celtic art...all the knotted work and celtic looking pictures...but for me it was just a set of nice pictures, no more.
Book goes into the fire too ~ doesn't it say somewhere the Lovers card is only about heterosexual love as it deals with polarities ?! Did not like that...but am not wrecking my alcohol infused brain on that...book would be useless without the cards anyway...so lets enjoy the fire...

and back goes WolfSpirit to have another drink and doze by the once again nice warm fire :)

tarotbear

'Now is the hour ...'

"My Dear Friends!

What a wonderful time we have all had. Now that the embers are slowly burning themselves out - could someone please wake Scion up and get him out of the embers? - Thank You! Anyway - now that the embers are slowly burning themselves out I would like to take this opportunity to say -THANK YOU - to everyone who made the perilous journey to come to this dinnner thread tonight! We realize that in spite of the other more 'normal' dinner parties of the past weekend with glowing notables - no, Scion, no that kind of glowing! - that the realization that this dinner was pure parody from the invites on, and no holds barred! This dinner was something we needed to shake up the winter doldrums (or whatever season of doldrums it is in your part of the world), let our hair down, and meet with others and get silly on this astral plane! Your contributions were wonderful - give yourselves a big round of applause!"

{thunderous applause from all those present}

{An immense fireworks display begins with some more help from Gandalf's amazing wizardry of pyrotechnic abilities. The D.J. gets his turntables spinning and the group parties on down until there is no one left to party. The like-minded males join TB and Jed in their suite for an M4M party}

Netzach

Dear Tarotbear

Just a note to say thank you very much for the party the other night. It was great fun from beginning to end. We got home safely in very happy mood. I hope you didn't have too much clearing up to do the next day!

Thanks again.

Netzach

Alta

Dear tarotbear and Jed,
Thank you so much for inviting me. I am only slightly scorched, er scotched, or something. Hope you don't mind about the you-know-what I broke.

byeee,
Marion

memries

Dear Tarotbear, Thank you for inviting me ! I had to leave the party because of concerns on the home front. When I tried to come back the computer did not want to go to the party, so I missed a lot of it. However, it was a great party and such an uplifting event at this time of the year. I will have to keep my deck for the next bonfire...memries