Disapproval?

Toria the Short

Does anyone here have friends or family who aren't fond of the idea of tarot?

I've only been learning about tarot for a week or so, and I bought a new deck today. I didn't want my parents to just find it randomly if they came into my room, so I decided to tell them that I was studying it and trying to learn. My dad really didn't look very impressed (not really mad, though, which is good), and my mom just told me she didn't care, but she didn't look impressed either.

I didn't think they would accept it right off the bat, but now I don't really know how they really feel about it. I'm not sure how to deal with it. Any ideas?

Thanks!

memries

Well depending upon your age, you did the right thing to bring it out into the open. If they did not openly say to stop it or such then I would just continue. Maybe they will begin to understand more and be interested. You never know. Maybe their concern was what you had spent on it rather than any concern about the cards themselves. Just my thoughts I am sure others will have ideas as well.

firemaiden

My family thinks anything like tarot is getting close to something religious which in their opinion borders on insanity. So I keep it quiet. I don't hide it, but I mostly avoid talking about it, except when I can't help it because I get so excited about the readings I do. If I slip up and mention it to my Dad, he'll get that worried "oh, no, our daughter is losing her mind how are we going to afford the asylum?" look.

In my opinion, anything that they don't want to know about, they don't need to know about.

Kenny

My parents, mainly my Mum, are not too hot on tarot. I never kept it a secret but I never did tell them. I have also not talked about it to them.

For my birthday a couple of months ago I asked for a tarot deck A) to test the waters B) because I wanted it and C) they asked me what I wanted for my birthday. I did not get the deck and my mum was not happy about my choice of present (never did get something from them).

My advice is that they are not happy about tarot but they do not mind you having some so keep it quiet but not a secret. It would be nice for them to support you (me as well) but I doubt they will so don't force them. Equally don't let them force you to give it up unless your a minor when put your studies on hold until you are older or have moved out.

Toria the Short

I don't think the age aspect is an issue -- I turn eighteen in less than two weeks.

I agree that it would be nice if they accepted it, it would make things a lot easier. On the other hand, it is nice to know that I'm not the only one in this sort of situation. Kind of comforting.

lilangel09

My parents don't mind. Actually, they're quite supportive of it as long as I don't buy too many decks, and it doesn't affect my schoolwork. On the otherhand, I told my SO that I bought a deck and he freaked out and gave me a lecture on what it's used for and how you can't be Catholic and use the cards... so, he doesn't know I read and I'm not Catholic, yet :p... My friends are very supportive of Tarot, and I have a few friends I've known for a few years that never told me they read. :)

Scion

Hey Toria,

One way to discuss it is in the context of all the history and folklore that wind up factoring into the study, depending on your focus. The idea of Tarot may seem strange to them, but how would they react if you said you were going to study Neoplatonism, mythology, the early Renaissance, Christian heresies, late Victorian intellectual history, or the roots of modern chemistry (alchemy) and astronomy (astrology)? All of these subjects can be incorporated into study of Tarot and each leads to many other more "practical" disciplines that any parent would be chuffed to have you tackle willingly and zealously.

While many people might balk at the word "Tarot" in ignorance or fear, if you contextualize the word, it may help them see that you aren't just staring at pieces of cardstock, but rather exploring a whole matrix of intellectual and spiritual traditions... which over time, by hook and crook, have come to be associated with those 78 pieces of cardstock. What is so exciting to me about Tarot is the vast sweep of its tangential associations. Your parents might react differently when you start reading Plato for fun or plowing through the Collected Yeats or tracking down a history of 15th century Florence cause you're dying of curiosity. Context is everything!

Congrats on taking the first steps on your journey, and for joining our motley krewe... I'll look forward to learning from you in time to come. :)

Scion

Toria the Short

I'd never thought about it that way, actually! And I could connect it to the fact that I want to take Classical Studies classes, mostly mythology, at university next year. Good advice, Scion!

Abrac

My family are mostly conservative Christians and frown on anything that doesn't agree with their beliefs. They don't say anything to my face, but I'm sure their has been plenty of gossip behind my back.

There are times when it would be really nice for parents to be more supportive, but often this just isn't the case. I don't know your parents so I don't know where they might be coming from. They may have mixed feelings and not really know what to think. I would just give it time and see what happens. They may eventually come around to taking an interest or they may not. Either way if you enjoy it and it's not hurting anyone, no problem I say.

jayem

im glad my mom is open about it. shes been to readers in the past, but WILL NOT by any means let me practice new spreads on her. after what happened with my father (a reader saw his death... kind of), she refuses to get near the things, but she is pleased that im opening my mind to new things. i have a very open family, which is awesome.