Discussion Group - Threes

HoneyBea

re-pete-a said:
It's not often that one ends up with runs in sequence in a spread, we've come to the understanding that cards do relate to each other in the overall,at this point in our understanding each card stands alone to tell its story and help promote flashes of insight according to its position...........We open ourselves to other suggestions and lines of thought on this///////////

If you are responding to my quote above No. 3, I was not talking about runs in sequence in a spread, I was talking about the sequence of the suits and how each card follows on from the next. Just as the Major Arcana follow in a sequence through The Fool's/Hero's journey.

But when talking about spreads, I have to say that in my experience of reading (and I have done a lot) the cards not only interact with each other but influence each other and should be read that way rather than individual cards - regardless of positional definitions the cards still do interact with each other. Of course each card has a story to tell but how that story unfolds is dependent on the influence each card has upon the other - just to take one aspect of reading, the elementary dignities influence the way cards play out because you have for an example and I am following Book T's system:
Strengthening/interactive/ synergetic:
Fire and Air
Water and Earth
Fire and Fire
Water and Water
Air and Air
Earth and Earth
Neutral:
Fire and Earth
Air and Water
Weakening/incompatible/antagonistic:
Fire and Water
Air and Earth

Or to make it even easier;- Air/Earth are opposing as are Fire/water
When these cards turn up together in any one of these mixtures they do influence each other and how you would read the cards.

~ HoneyBea ~

re-pete-a

we agree with all you've said ,the mistake was ours,we ASSumed you meant sequential suit runs.....

HoneyBea

re-pete-a said:
we agree with all you've said ,the mistake was ours,we ASSumed you meant sequential suit runs.....

No problem, its good to make sure we are talking about the same thing, its less confusing that way :D

GenoviaJ

HoneyBea said:
Two of Swords shows us the tension caused by the duality in thoughts and if not resolved the Three of Swords shows the sorrow this conflict can create.

Just my thoughts on how the three's fit into the Tarot Sequence.

~ HoneyBea ~

Honeybea I agree, the three are hard to take out of context, because the threes are always consequence- know what I mean. I also think the three of swords is "penetration" the third sword penetrates the silence or the stalemate in the two of swords.

rcb30872

HoneyBea said:
Red is often associated with what you state above but also it is a coloured that signifies self assurance within that person.

Green because it is the colour of plants etc. it can be associated with growth, potential and the ability to adapt and also with those things relating to the earth element. As you say it is a colour that can be linked to renewal.

Blue because it is related to sky colours and air is more than often associated with the Swords suit, also the colour of the throat chakra links it to communication skills, another swords character.
Now according to Pictures of the Heart by Sandra A. Thomson "Blue sky can refer to overseeing spirit, or heaven (often modified by whatever appears in the sky), the inner spiritual process and cosmic consciousness."

"As a garment colour, it often gives a clue as to the possible emotions of the figure in the card."

"As the colour of water, blue can symbolise unconscious processes at work, emotions, ideas flowing form the unconscious intuition and the process of reflection."

As we are talking about the 3 Wands it is interesting to note that Robert M Place in his book Tarot, History, Symbolism and Divination says that the figure is "A Knight caped with heraldic pattern" so he wears his coat of arms of which we have through colour association tried to work out what it may stand for. Also worth noting in the Original Rider Waite Three of Wands he holds one stave with an armor-clad arm (not in my Radiant deck though!) Armor can represent for us protection, defensiveness - the Esoteric Title for this card is Lord of Established Strength and I think when we look at the fact that this Knight has already planted the ideas from the previous card and is holding one stave with his armor-clad arm it show that he is prepared to protect and defend his ideas.

So putting these colours together here on his heraldic cloak we could say, that he has had the passion and energy and confidence to set his ideas in motion, now he needs to be prepared to watch and wait for the seed to grow and the potential of his idea to expand (blue appears on the Radiant and maybe other clones of this deck but not the original however if we add blue to the equation and he is wearing that colour maybe it also tells us that he is aspiring to achieve higher goals).

Not to forget that this card there is a predominance of yellow a colour more often than not representing, positive mental activity, willpower, intellect and awareness - it is also like solar energy therefore as again Sandra A. Thomson tells us could be linked to radiant energy.

This Knight is definitely thinking about things, hopefully in a positive way! :)

Again unfortunately Mr. Waite in the PKT gives little information about Pixie's symbolism.

Any help to any one?

~ HoneyBea~
Yes, thanks very much HoneyBea. I needed that little bit extra, I had a vague idea, but that has made it all the more clearer :D

HoneyBea

rcb30872 said:
Yes, thanks very much HoneyBea. I needed that little bit extra, I had a vague idea, but that has made it all the more clearer :D

Glad it was of some help :)