Do I really need a spread cloth?

a_shikhs

I always use a spread cloth when reading for people. I am now planning to make a beautiful cloth for my cards by using a black silk cloth and stitching amethyst, clear quartz, and rose quartz crystal beads on all four sides of it.. Hope it turns out good. ;)

tarotbear

a_shikhs said:
I always use a spread cloth when reading for people. I am now planning to make a beautiful cloth for my cards by using a black silk cloth and stitching amethyst, clear quartz, and rose quartz crystal beads on all four sides of it.. Hope it turns out good. ;)

Oooooooooo! That's a wonderful idea! As a row of beads around the edge, or as a fringe? You could also stitch a small crystal or stone into each corner - will also help keep it from blowing away if you read out-of-doors! Some bead store have semi-precious stones cut in moon, star, and heart shapes...

Tongodiva

Oooh Crystals

A_S

I hadn't even thought of beading the cloth with crystals! that's a wonderful suggestion :D The crystals you chose, are they for a specific purpose? I'm not too keen on crystals (yet) :)

13thFaeChylde

Elven said:
I in a brothel

a brothel??
come on....there should be a story with that one...

a_shikhs

tarotbear said:
Oooooooooo! That's a wonderful idea! As a row of beads around the edge, or as a fringe? You could also stitch a small crystal or stone into each corner - will also help keep it from blowing away if you read out-of-doors! Some bead store have semi-precious stones cut in moon, star, and heart shapes...

Ummm.. i plan to stitch it in a row, i guess. i yet havent decided on that. ive just bought the crystal beads and kept. i have to now go for cloth shopping.
Hey that's a good idea about stitching crystal stones on the four corners. it will look pretty too. Thanks tarotbear.. :)

Tongodiva said:
I hadn't even thought of beading the cloth with crystals! that's a wonderful suggestion The crystals you chose, are they for a specific purpose? I'm not too keen on crystals (yet)

Im glad you liked it. Yeah ive chosen these crystals for a specific reason. I love these 3 crystals and they are my all time favourite ones. Amethyst will help increase my intuition while reading the cards and protect me from catching other people's negativity and getting drained. Clear quartz will help me the same way as amethyst. Rose quartz will generate love from my cards to my clients. And its a pretty combination too. lol...

Tongodiva

Learning Something New!

Thanks for the Info A_S :) Amethyst Is my Birthstone so I've been pretty familiar with it already :) quartz seem to have so many uses to them though, knowing a particular use for them is always good :)

Now if I can only find my syyyyyymbols :) *searches and searches*

Learning and Learning (and happy to learn) - Tongo :)

gregory

lark said:
Oh Mystic_ Blue_ Jay!!!!!
It sounds like you are really in the beginning stages of fabricohalisim.
I myself am a fabricohalic...
Do you return to the fabric store over and over just for that one more piece of fabric...
Telling yourself "after all it is on sale."
Do you run your fingers through fabric bolts?
<snip>
Do you have a secret stash of fabric in the back of the broom closet?
Ahem.
I don't use a spreadcloth. (I am at the moment only doing 1 and 2 card readings; It would seem a little too much, I think !)

If I did use one, I have a beautiful one I got in trade from elf.

I don't make bags unless there is no other option at all.... I LOATHE sewing

but - er -

............well, not in the broom closet, but I have a rather fine selection in a plastic bag in the tarot eyrie..... It's all so pretty.....

Sulis

I think you should use a spread cloth (but then I would say that because I make them }) )

I think a plain spreadcloth really helps the colours of the cards to 'pop'. There are no distractions from the background with a spread cloth.

I make them to go with my bags and sell far more bag and reading cloth sets than just bags so it seems that people agree with me :)
A cloth wrapped around your deck gives it far more protection than just a bag on it's own too......

Love Sulis xx

tarotbear

Tongodiva said:
I had been thinking of maybe getting a solid color cloth but getting symbols embroidered into them. I was thinking of symbols of protection and enlightenment, but I don't know of too many. Anybody have suggestions as to where I can find those?

Most embroidery programs available to home and custom embroiderers are very basic - usually just the 12 Zodiac signs and nothing too 'occult' looking at that.

A good custom (read: custom work=$$$$) embroiderer can take a symbol and scan it to disk/CD and translate it to an embroidery machine - for a fee. However, you own the design and can bring it back to them for another project. The more colors you require the more work and $$$ it can cost. However, you should be able to find 'clip art' type books if you go searching and may find some symbols you can use. You may be able to find one of Chinese characters, labyrinths, etc. You can also photocopy something as long as it is not someone's artwork.

My suggestion is to contact any place you can find that does custom embroidery - even if it's on ball caps. They can help you or at least push you in the right direction about what is available out there.

lark

gregory said:
............well, not in the broom closet, but I have a rather fine selection in a plastic bag in the tarot eyrie..... It's all so pretty.....
Now gregory if you're ever feeling a little minimalistic. and want to simplify your life a little, you can just send that plastic bag of pretty fabric to me. })