Do Oils work or is it a placebo?

Pao

I wasnt sure where to put this so moderators feel free to move :)

I was thinking yesterday how much I love oils and salt baths and such and I started wondering how exactly they work. How do I know they arent all in your mind like a placebo effect? it works if you believe in it. I know when i hate the smell of one, it gives me a headache and of course I dont get what I am using it for. i was wondering about the placebo effect.

thoughts?

floracove

Lemon will always bring a grimace when cut.

Results differ by plant of course, but they all have results...

Pao

well i put some lavender last night before sleeping and i did sleep well but like i said maybe its all in my head :D

floracove

Pao, if you google

Herbs + correspondences

You will find a wealth of information.
Check it out!

starrystarrynight

I bought some lavendar essential oil to combine with some henna tattooing mixture, and I loved the scent on my skin where I drew my designs. I think it gave me a lift to sniff my hand! :D And I also think that when I rested my head on that hand, it was easier to fall asleep.

Now, I'm not familiar with what lavendar is supposed to do for you, but this is how it seemed to affect me.

Maybe it's all in my head, but if it works, it works...placebo effect or not.

I do know that massage therapists use different oils for various "conditions", so I do think there is something to it. (In fact, I have a book and video on that subject, but I can't reach it right now at the top shelf of my bookshelf... :( )

willowfox

Perhaps I'm strange or something but when I am experimented with oils I never seemed to get the effect intended, okay the scent was nice and that was all.

The crowned one

I am a advocate of essential oils. Quality counts big time and yes they work.

Pao

I love oils too dont get me wrong my BOS (book of shadows) has its own little section for them :D but i just was thinking if it works because they work or if because I believe in them. I guess this can go for anything, crystals, incense etc.

I love the scent of the Love oil blend (i wish I remembered what went in it so I could make more! :( ) I wear it everyday almost as my perfume because i loveeeeeeeeeee the scent but my love life aint exactly flourishing here :laugh: then again I dont wear it for that purpose so maybe like with everything else you must vizualize. I dont know I really do wonder....

The crowned one

If their oils are all priced at the same cost per ml you know they are cheap. AS an example I pay about 8-9 dollars an ml for rose oil but less then a dollar per ml for Bergamot. All lavenders are not equal I prefer lavandula latifolia. Country of origin and method of extraction for each oil is very important, as are dark bottles, all little clues to quality. I like the French lavender much better then the Bulgarian. There is little more effective or enjoyable then aroma therapy when done with quality products in the correct amounts, it can turn a mood on a dime and help control chronic disease like asthma. Do not use synthetics!

Pao

The only way i have been able to tell synthetic is because as soon as I wear it my skin start getting irritated :( but yes the places i have found in the city all oil blends are the same price. the price changes by the size of the bottle which made me wonder since all herbs are not so easly found. thanx for the tip I will search for better ones :D